Page 403 of 628 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407413453503 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Is it a Harbor 20? In Santa Barbara there was a matching pair of pristine Harbor 20s at the end of J dock. Oooh! They had beautifully made, matching red canvas covers. Lovely young women came by Tuesday afternoon to dust them off, and young men with really white teeth sailed them in and out of their slips Wednesday afternoon for the buoy races. One of them almost clipped GoodBoy coming back in.

And no, the steaming/decklight issue has not yet been mitigated. I meant to go up the mast Saturday but there was a tiny bit of wind so I went out and tried Bob’s sail. Woo hoo! On Bob’s J 92 it was a 150. On DM it’s a 180! Sails do make a difference! I just hope the Fiasco is a drifter cuz otherwise everyone else out there is at risk! Was it Bill Lee whose motto was “fast is fun”? I must concur!
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-17-2020 at 05:23 PM.

I'll go with #8, 'cause I think it is a modified Cal 20. They opened up the transom, added a sprit, moved the chainplates outboard and who knows what else.

Here we go - her name is Sirena and it looks like they just sailed her down from Half Moon Bay. This video was posted last Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zVWulzYUs
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-17-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Doesn’t look like a Cal 20 transom to me,

Maybe Sled will tell us where her old transom is. Howard's place?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Maybe Sled will tell us where her old transom is. Howard's place?
    Is that a cowboy hat? A cowboy, a Cal 20 and speed? Is that Dave Morris!?

A modified CAL 25.

[QUOTE=BobJ;27893]I'll go with #8, 'cause I think it is a modified Cal 20. They opened up the transom, added a sprit, moved the chainplates outboard and who knows what else.
    Here we go - her name is Sirena and it looks like they just sailed her down from Half Moon Bay. This video was posted last Sunday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zVWulzYUs QUOTE]

Good Catch BobJ! A modified Cal 20 SIRENA is. And 26 minutes of video showing her sailing at 7-10 knots is maybe not what you want a PHRF Committee to see.

In a similar vein, here's the modified Cal 20 MAGIC Keith Leitzky sailed 6,000 miles nonstop from Kaneohe into the Gulf of Alaska (55 north) and return on a shakedown for Cape Horn. Check out page 6 here: http://kaneoheyachtclub.com/document...00/October2019

Name:  Cal20.png
Views: 1205
Size:  618.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-17-2020 at 08:52 PM.

11/18/20
    Other than half an inch of rain here last night at CBC, I see big news on the waterfront: Reading a thread below about the Berkeley Sunday Midwinters, I note that it is signed Joe Balderrama, SSS Commodore
    This is just great news!! Joe is a heads up SSS and SHTP vet, excellent communicator and good sailor, student of the game, and long time SSS supporter. A better Commodore could not be found. Congratulations, Joe! We at CBC are thrilled.
    ~sleddog

PS For those who don't know Joe, his handle on this forum is Submarino. and his boat is the Express 27 ARCHIMEDES.

Name:  Joe Balderama.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  162.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-20-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Unless I misread, it appears Whitall on SPARROW has lost his 2 downwind sails, an A-2 spinnaker and Code 0, and is now down to "working sails." He reports this loss will give him more time to read. My question would be, does SPARROW have a pole to wing out a headsail? If not, getting downwind around the World may prove tedious.
    Can anyone explain why Sparrow's route includes the big island to port and then eastabout? Seems like a longer route than maybe needed. Is it a bailout contingency, or is there a strategy to sail around typical weather, both, something else? I looked at the web page but didn't see this addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by breezetrees View Post
    Can anyone explain why Sparrow's route includes the big island to port and then eastabout? Seems like a longer route than maybe needed. Is it a bailout contingency, or is there a strategy to sail around typical weather, both, something else? I looked at the web page but didn't see this addressed.
    I think there are 5 reasons: 1) a shakedown for the boat, with 2) a possible contingency bailout point and 3) weather wise, even though longer, an approach to Cape Horn from the northwest rather than north takes advantage of prevailing westerly winds aft of abeam. 4) This route avoids a concentration of westbound shipping from the Panama Canal on the Great Circle towards Asia as it crosses the shipping lanes at right angles rather than nearly head on. Lastly, there's a rule on the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC) that says a circumnavigation must be a minimum of 21,600 nautical miles. Although SPARROW is not registered with the WSSRC as attempting any record passage, apparently Whitall found San Francisco to San Francisco was short of the 21,600 miles and he needed to include an Hawaiian waypoint to be an "official" circumnavigation, mileage wise. Whitall Stokes, white courtesy phone please.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-18-2020 at 11:23 AM.