Page 404 of 628 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

[QUOTE=sleddog;27898]
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'll go with #8, 'cause I think it is a modified Cal 20. They opened up the transom, added a sprit, moved the chainplates outboard and who knows what else.
    Here we go - her name is Sirena and it looks like they just sailed her down from Half Moon Bay. This video was posted last Sunday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zVWulzYUs QUOTE]

Good Catch BobJ! A modified Cal 20 SIRENA is. And 26 minutes of video showing her sailing at 7-10 knots is maybe not what you want a PHRF Committee to see.

In a similar vein, here's the modified Cal 20 MAGIC Keith Leitzky sailed 6,000 miles nonstop from Kaneohe into the Gulf of Alaska (55 north) and return on a shakedown for Cape Horn. Check out page 6 here: http://kaneoheyachtclub.com/document...00/October2019

Attachment 5994
    That is one cool Cal 20. If it were me, I would take the chainplates further down, and bolt them into the hull. I'm sure that the hull-deck joint has been seriously reinforced, but still, the integrity of the rig depends on that joint.

Having owned a Cal 20 I can tell you that if you get ANY water in the boat, it gets everywhere. There is no bilge. NONE..zero, and the sleeping platform is about 3 inches higher than the floorboards. Wet Bunk. Now, he might have built another platform that's 6 inches higher, which would help a lot.

What I would do, personally, is do more or less the same thing to an old Cal 25 with its molded keel or even a Cal 2-24, which has a bolt-on iron keel rather like the Cal 20. However the inside of the Cal 2-24 is a heck of a lot roomier than a Cal 20, and it has an inboard rudder. I have always kind of liked the old Cal 2-24. It's a really simple boat and they sail about the same as most of the 24 footers, based on quarter-tonners that came well after that design was penned.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    11/18/20
    Other than half an inch of rain here last night at CBC, I see big news on the waterfront: Reading a thread below about the Berkeley YC Sunday Midwinters, I note that it is signed Joe Balderama, SSS Commodore
    This is just great news!! Joe is a heads up SSS and SHTP vet, excellent communicator and good sailor, student of the game, and long time SSS supporter. A better Commodore could not be found. Congratulations, Joe! We at CBC are thrilled.
    ~sleddog

PS For those who don't know Joe, his handle on this forum is Submarino. and his boat is the Express 27 ARCHIMEDES.

Attachment 5997
    Congratulations...and

THANK YOU, Joe!

Name:  JoeBalderama.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  64.1 KB

With 3 (tethered) crew in the water when this photo of ARCHIMEDES was taken in the 2006 Lightship Race, Joe brought everyone home safely. Herding SSS cats will hopefully prove easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Thank you Alan! Thank you Sleddog. In the still moments, my mind drifts back to those two major connected events that ruminate through my essence and soul.

The departure from SF to Hanalei was surreal, after 10 years of acquiring the necessary skills on my first and only boat, I could not believe I was on my Way! I was well prepared and experienced from events like in that second picture.

The second photo belies the desperation of 3 (and later 4) tethered sailors in the water out of a crew of 5 because of a cross wave in a jibe. In those conditions seen, inflatable PFD's alternate back and forth between a benefit and hindrance with each wave. I have two people to thank for our deliverance. First, my sailing teacher who impressed upon me the absolute need for tethers outside the gate. The second, John McBride, a chosen solid first mate who took charge when I (the 4th last person) was tossed into the water while yanking the tether of an immersed crew member. Sancho was so disoriented that he was head down and feet up flutter kicking deeper into the green wash. Afterwards, we had a formal debrief and lessons learned. This led to a critical review of different solo and crewed recovery drills with a wet-suited person.

Moving on.... Calling all cats, calling all cats! The SSS needs you! Please stand by for a formal announcement soon.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore
    Last edited by Submarino; 11-18-2020 at 11:03 PM.

More kitties, = more cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    Thank you Alan! Thank you Sleddog. In the still moments, my mind drifts back to those two major connected events that ruminate through my essence and soul.

The departure from SF to Hanalei was surreal, after 10 years of acquiring the necessary skills on my first and only boat, I could not believe I was on my Way! I was well prepared and experienced from events like in that second picture.

The second photo belies the desperation of 3 (and later 4) tethered sailors in the water out of a crew of 5 because of a cross wave in a jibe. In those conditions seen, inflatable PFD's alternate back and forth between a benefit and hindrance with each wave. I have two people to thank for our deliverance. First, my sailing teacher who impressed upon me the absolute need for tethers outside the gate. The second, John McBride, a chosen solid first mate who took charge when I (the 4th last person) was tossed into the water while yanking the tether of an immersed crew member. Sancho was so disoriented that he was head down and feet up flutter kicking deeper into the green wash. Afterwards, we had a formal debrief and lessons learned. This led to a critical review of different solo and crewed recovery drills with a wet-suited person.

Moving on.... Calling all cats, calling all cats! The SSS needs you! Please stand by for a formal announcement soon.

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore
    Underline added by me. I'd drop into a zoom meeting to listen to your thoughts about this incident and what you learned, and what you changed on board the boat as a result of it.

Hi Alan,
    That is an idea to add to our future Zoom seminar. Hear from sailors who have had to perform actual rescues and their lessons learned. First to come to mind is Cliff Shaw's rescue of the overturned catamaran crew(s) at the Farallones. The Q&A and takeaways would be of immense value. My small bit of experience could add to the overall session. Sled Dog, can you chime in with your memories of Cliff's rescue. I believe he and another may have received an award for their self-less actions.

Thank you for the idea,

Joe Balderrama
    SSS Commodore

Name:  Dredge2.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  11.4 KB

As Howard and Rainer will tell you, when the Santa Cruz Harbor Entrance is shoaled and dangerous for boats, it "goes off" for surfers who ride some of the sweetest waves on the West Coast. The surf spot can be between the breakwaters. Or if the dredge is working, it can also result in a world class surf break over the dredge spoil area, just east of the East Breakwater.

Unfortunately, surfers and Port District authorities have had long standing animosities due to SCPD Ordinance 222 which prohibits surfing in the Harbor Entrance even if there are no other vessels present. Numerous chases have resulted, both by patrol boat and on foot on the beach, boards have been confiscated, and fines issued.

Name:  Dredge.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  369.6 KB

In the above photo, surfers, including Rainer, do not appear to be in violation of Ordinance 222, as they are not crossing the Harbor Entrance. But, for a quart of Marianne's Macapuno, what basic rule of navigation, as administered by the U.S. Coast Guard to ensure safe navigation, is being violated in the above photo?

Failure to give way w potential for collision?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Failure to give way w potential for collision?
    Sorry, Jackie, it is my understanding surfboards in the surf zone are not subject to USCG Rules of the Road.
    In the surf zone, the surfer nearest the peak has right-of-way and PFD's need not be carried. However, Stand Up Paddle Boards (SUP's) are considered "boats" outside of the surf zone, and operators must carry PFD's.

Feel free to try again.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-20-2020 at 09:30 PM.