Page 409 of 628 FirstFirst ... 309359399405406407408409410411412413419459509 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I know what a sporran is (I even have one) but had never heard of a spurtle - I had to go look it up. The things one learns - thanks, Synthia!

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    I know what a sporran is (I even have one) but had never heard of a spurtle - I had to go look it up. The things one learns - thanks, Synthia!
    - rob
    Other than a winch, what boat tool traditionally is used in a clockwise direction?

http://www.porridgelady.com/2014/01/...free-porridge/

I recall cranking the old Volvo clockwise aboard the Nicholson 32 I grew up on when the starter didn't catch.
    A somewhat dangerous affair if you didn't get the engine crank out quickly if it did catch!
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 12-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Ah, I just noticed the spurtle link... my wife even has one aboard. I now know clockwise is the way.

Name:  Mavericks1.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  247.7 KB

Spur of the moment took Annie and me up the Coast to Maverick's yesterday where we hiked around the northwest end of Half Moon Bay and out on the beach. Above, people were ascending the bluff trail for a better view.

What we saw and heard was terrific..No mushburgers these. Wave energy was raw and at a max, and the noise sounded like intermittent cannon thunder from the crashing 30-40 footers. The action was happening about 1/4 mile offshore and the closest we got was to a surfer who swam ashore nearby with half his board under each arm.

Here's some still shots, https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/w...ing-off/105904
    Recommend the short video clips of Kai Lenny and Peter Mel. It doesn't get any better than that.

Yiii doggies.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-09-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Researchers "looking for the last mastodon and found a unicorn instead."
    A whole new whale species recently discovered near San Benito Islands, halfway down the west coast of Baja. Sounds like the whales wanted to be found. They swam up to the boat to say "howdy."

Name:  whale2.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  69.3 KB

https://www.businessinsider.in/scien...w/79665103.cms
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.

With the highest tide of the year this morning, 6.9 feet, and High Surf warnings, Santa Cruz Harbor was challenging not only for the dredge, but standup paddleboards as well.

Name:  Harbor4.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  976.2 KB

To get my SUP afloat meant carrying the board uphill down the launch ramp. Then, because of surge caused by large swells breaking across the entrance, there were reciprocating currents, ebbing one minute, and flooding the next, at speeds up to 3 knots. This is caused by Santa Cruz Harbor's shape: 300 feet wide and 4,900 feet long, essentially making a long, narrow bathtub for entering waves to slosh back and forth. God forbid we have another tsunami.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKviwV-ejEY

Name:  Harbor5.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  11.4 KB

As I paddled, I saw several boats had broken loose, and two docks broken and adrift due to the cement pilings having been displaced. All in day at ill located and designed Santa Cruz Harbor, where I estimate 25% of boats poorly tied up with a minimum number of undersized and chafed dock lines.

It was not a morning to exit the Harbor in paddle craft, not with the dredge in the entrance, swells breaking, strong currents. It will be fun to return to the Harbor this afternoon when the tide drops to a minus 1.5 feet. In these conditions, the dredge is fighting a losing battle, and the entrance channel shoals faster than it can be cleared.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-14-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Paddling this morning was more fruitful than yesterday, although launching was challenging given there was a large harbor seal napping on the launch ramp who wasn't going to be disturbed and let me know in no uncertain terms with grunting noises.

For a Christmas treat of warm Racine, WI, Danish almond kringle, Macaupuno ice cream with pomegranate topping, served on Synthia's new outdoor table cloth she custom made for the CBC deck, what famous solo circumnavigator claimed to have used a singlehanded instrument for position finding that was neither analog nor digital and was not a sextant? This quiz comes compliments of Howard Spruit who will also provide you with as many lemons as needed. Extra scoop if you can name the instrument.

Name:  tablecloth.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  1.51 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-16-2020 at 04:54 PM.

That is one beaoooootiful table cloth! And the promised treat sounds wonderful. I notice that you snuck in a glimpse of your new vessel, too. Sold the inflateable and bought one that looks like a surfboard! Does it have a name?

I wish I knew the answer to the quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Paddling this morning was more fruitful than yesterday, although launching was challenging given there was a large harbor seal napping on the launch ramp who wasn't going to be disturbed and let me know in no uncertain terms with grunting noises.

For a Christmas treat of warm Racine, WI, Danish almond kringle, Macaupuno ice cream with pomegranate topping, served on Synthia's new outdoor table cloth she custom made for the CBC deck, what famous solo circumnavigator claimed to have used a singlehanded instrument for position finding that was neither analog nor digital and was not a sextant? This quiz comes compliments of Howard Spruit who will also provide you with as many lemons as needed. Extra scoop if you can name the instrument.

Name:  tablecloth.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  1.51 MB
    The circumnavigation was Marvin Creamer. The instrument was his hand.
    The circumnavigation was without conventional navigation instruments. Creamer passed fairly recently, the last year or so.

Ants