Page 41 of 629 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Thanks Capt. Bob. I was aware of ORIOLE a bit later than that, starting around 1969, and the Rumsey brothers aren't jogging my memory. Any connection perhaps with the Pax Davis (Sr.) family? Probably not - they only liked boats with hard chines!

Speaking of hard chines... I think Starbuck will start carrying the e rudder for local ocean races. And still looking at what is an appropriate anchor for the NCORC MEL. Thoughts for 4500lb Starbuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    And still looking at what is an appropriate anchor for the NCORC MEL. Thoughts for 4500lb Starbuck?
    If you want the lightest anchor for use in offshore sandy/muddy bottoms, I'd look at Fortress - make sure you get the crown plates - the original Fortress anchor had these an option and the anchor doesn't work without them (tips won't dig in).

An FX-7 ought to work in benign conditions (e.g., no wind, you're using the anchor as a kedge to stop you from drifting).

If, on the other hand, you want an anchor that will hold conditions so windy that it is too much to sail in, you might want an FX-23 and a lot more chain and rode.

Depth-wise, it's 150-200' feet deep all the way out to the Farallones. I'd think about 30 feet of 1/4" G4 (hi-test) chain minimum on 350' of 7/16" rode. If you are looking for a kedge anchor (no wind), then 10' chain with 3/8" or 5/16" nylon.

For the NCORC MEL, you ought to meet the rule with any anchor/chain/rode combination specified by the anchor manufacturer as sufficient for your boat length/weight. Fortress thinks you'd do fine with an FX-7 & 3/16" chain & 3/8" rode, or FX-11 & 1/4" chain & 3/8" rode.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/selection-guide/fortress

On Beetle I carry an FX-7 with 6' of 5/16" G4 chain and 300' of 3/8" line carried in a canvas bag for drifting conditions, and two really big anchors (Rocna 25 kg and Fortress FX-37) with 275' of 5/16" G4 chain and 350' of 5/8" rode to back up the chain. The big anchors are really nice when it's blowing 50+ knots through the anchorage at Drakes Bay. The chain is overkill, but I sleep better.

- rob/beetle

My boat is similar in size (30') and weight (5,500#) to STARBUCK. I carry an FX-11 for around here - it has WM's standard rode package: 15' of 1/4" chain and 150' of 7/16" line.

For Hawaii I also took an FX-16 - it has 25' of 5/16" chain and 200' of 1/2" line, w/tags so you can tell how much rode is out. If I do any races under the new NorCal ORC MOR's I'll swap for this larger set-up.

Not saying that's right, it's just what I have. I've anchored overnight up in Drake's Bay with the FX-11, but it didn't blow 50+ knots.

As your primary anchor, my choice would be a 22# galvanized Delta, 30' of 1/4" chain, and 200' of 1/2" Samson gold-n-braid nylon rode.

If you are blowing on a lee shore, the lightweight aluminum Fortress tends to waterski on or near the surface, and it is hard to get it down to the bottom.

The Fortress does not work well in kelpy or rocky bottoms, or hard pack sand. Nor does it reliably reset if the boat swings at anchor with a current or wind shift, (China Camp.)

If the pull is constant in one direction, you use plenty of chain, and the bottom is mud or soft sand, the Fortress is an excellent anchor. (Half Moon Bay)

WILDFLOWER, the 22' cat, uses a Delta 14 as primary, and Fortress 7 as a stern anchor/lunch hook.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-12-2013 at 08:53 AM.

On the subject of anchors and the recent tragic loss of the UNCONTROLLABLE URGE, it is a worthy reminder that when sailing offshore, the entire Pacific coast line of North America, from Baja to Alaska, is a lee shore.

Over the years, at least half a dozen SSS boats have been driven ashore for various reasons. The most recent, a few years ago, on the west (windward) side of Pt. Bonita, a total loss.

Each situation is different. But a drogue carried aboard, and practiced with, might gain time to sort things out. Drogues are cheap, lightweight, and can be used for other tasks. An old tire, or a milk crate, works as a drogue. And halves or quarters the boat speed when blowing towards trouble downwind.

Drogues are primarily towed behind the boat. Drogues do not have to be towed far astern on the leading face of the second wave. 2-3 boat lengths behind works. Lowering a drogue over the side from one of the jib sheet or halyard winches works. Just make sure there are no chafing issues.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Stephen, Thinking ahead, if I were you and planning for more than the Farallones, I'd check the requirements for the SSS & PacCup races to Hawaii, and purchase an anchor and rode that would meet those requirements. I agree with Skip that we always sail on a lee shore after Pt. Bonita and that investigating another method to say away from land is a good idea. I have a line and two Costco detergent buckets with rope lanyards.

For rudder issues, I think an adequate emergency system is a must. I don't trust dragging a bucket, so I carry an entire unit around (in addition to those VHF/PLB/Strobes around my neck). I also carry a long dowel to use in driving the rudder shaft out of the rudder shaft tube in case a bent shaft/rudder is the problem (the Wylie rudder is a simple thing). The foil is about 60% of the original and in a 2"x2" aluminum assembly with a cassett that's mounted into the outboard socket and lashed to the pushpit.

On the Tuna i used a long oar strapped to the outboard. I've tested both, but not in high seas nor with the original rudder missing (so there's always been a foil pointed along the center line during the tests - does anyone remove the rudder when doing test runs?). I figure that if I'm ever down to the emergency rudder I'm not racing anymore.

In a good example of cascading events, the first-to-finish and overall winner of the recent Islands Race in S. Cal. came to grief following their finish.

In the dark night, and 24 knots of wind, with other Santa Cruz 70's nipping at their heels, they crossed the finish line south of Pt. Loma, only to find the spinny halyard lock would not disengage.

Coronado Beach lay a mile ahead. As they approached with spinny flogging and staysail aloft (staysail apparently wouldn't come down either.), the spinnaker wrapped around the forestay.

They tried to start the engine. A lazy spinny sheet wrapped so tightly in the prop the strut was forced upward into the hull and the prop shaft was bent. For unknown reasons, maybe water through the hatch, the starter and/or batteries caught fire. The electrics, lights, and navigational instruments went dark. The cabin filled with smoke.

The navigator radioed on a handheld VHF for assistance. The navigator, using his handheld GPS, also called distance off beach to his experienced, 10 person, crew.

The halyard lock disengaged unexpectedly, and the spinnaker dropped 20 feet before the halyard jammed. The navigator, standing at the bottom of the companionway, had his feet tangled in the tail of the spinny halyard and was yanked upwards, feet first, , injuring his knee, before luckily hanging up without further damage.

A customs boat showed up, but didn't know what to do. The CG requested a parachute flare be fired, to pinpoint location. This was done with trepidation, as the crew had no experience firing a flare in anger in the dark. During the next few hours, the boat was kept off the beach until dawn. I'm not sure how.

4-5 hours after finishing, the Coast Guard took the SC-70 in tow. The tow line apparently damaged the bow pulpit. The carbon main was left at full hoist, in case the towline broke. The main flogged itself, doing damage, as they were towed to windward, away from the beach, and ultimately safely into San Diego Harbor. A crew was hoisted aloft, and the spinnaker was cut off the forestay.

I wasn't there, and can't answer your questions or comments. Doesn't sound fun.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-04-2013 at 09:05 PM.

I'm just as glad *I* wasn't there for this. It sounds pretty horrid...shades of Dan Benjamin's loss of his Aerodyne 38 about 8-9 years ago.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Back from the Newport to Cabo Race aboard SC-70 "OEX," I trailered WILDFLOWER from the driveway and relaunched at Santa Cruz Harbor, where we have secured a slip for two months.

Our first sail back in the water since late November of last year found all well aboard. The wind was SW, 15-17 knots, out past Mile Buoy, and WILDFLOWER had her skirts up, while I had one hand on the mainsheet as we skipped along at 12-13 knots on a white sails reach.

Interesting contrasts in boats. WILDFLOWER draws 15" with her daggerboard up, and I can sail her alone. WIZARD (ex-BELLA MENTE), first-to-finish yacht in the recent Newport to Cabo Race is 74' long, draws an incredible 19', and needs no less than 12 pros aboard to get away from the dock.

As you surmise, I don't consider deep draft an advancement in yacht design.