Page 410 of 627 FirstFirst ... 310360400406407408409410411412413414420460510 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The circumnavigation was Marvin Creamer. The instrument was his hand.
    The circumnavigation was without conventional navigation instruments. Creamer passed fairly recently, the last year or so.Ants
    Ants,
    Thank you for guessing Marvin Creamer, who passed recently at 104. Creamer, a retired college geographer, did sail his steel 36 footer GLOBE STAR west to east around the World, 1982-1984, without instruments, including a compass. (Magnetic compasses don't work well on a steel boat..the more you heel, the crazier the compass reads. Ask Kim D and me how we know.)

Unfortunately, though inspirational, Marvin Creamer is not the correct answer to the quiz as GLOBE STAR carried two crew in addition to her skipper, so his was not a solo circumnavigation.

I will repeat the trivia question: what famous solo circumnavigator claimed to have used a singlehanded instrument for position finding that was neither analog nor digital and was not a sextant? Extra scoop if you can name the instrument.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Robin Knox Johnston used an Astrolabe to cross the Atlantic in Suhaili. He is after all, a famous circumnavigator.

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Robin Knox Johnston used an Astrolabe to cross the Atlantic in Suhaili. He is after all, a famous circumnavigator.
    Sorry. RNJ and an Astrolabe is not the answer. Feel free to guess again. There's at least 6 clues in the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    That is one beaoooootiful table cloth! And the promised treat sounds wonderful. I notice that you snuck in a glimpse of your new vessel, too. Sold the inflatable and bought one that looks like a surfboard! Does it have a name?
    Sharp eyes, Philpott. The inflatable SUP was sold on Craigs List to SS, who lurks on this very Forum. In its place I bought a rigid SUP, same length (11') and beam (34"). After removing the two thruster fins, used for surfing, it's about .25 knots faster. Name? BULL GOOSE LOONY.

Name:  SUP6.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  1,010.3 KB

PS: You do know the answer to the quiz..You just don't know it yet. Here's a hint: Boiling water makes it work.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-16-2020 at 10:49 PM.

"I sailed with a free wind day after day, marking the position of my ship on the chart with considerable precision; but this was done by intuition, I think, more than by slavish calculations. For one whole month my vessel held her course true; I had not, the while, so much as a light in the binnacle. The Southern Cross I saw every night abeam. The sun every morning came up astern; every evening it went down ahead. I wished for no other compass to guide me, for these were true. If I doubted my reckoning after a long time at sea I verified it by reading the clock aloft made by the Great Architect, and it was right." Joshua Slocum

I think this is called lunar navigation. I like this answer. It's a good answer, though maybe not the one you seek: what famous solo circumnavigator claimed to have used a singlehanded instrument for position finding that was neither analog nor digital and was not a sextant
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-16-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    "[I]
    I think this is called lunar navigation. I like this answer. It's a good answer, though maybe not the one you seek.
    We are looking for 1) a famous solo circumnavigator 2) his apocryphal singlehanded instrument

a·poc·ry·phal /əˈpäkrəfəl/ adjective
    (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.

Oh. Silly me. It is a pleasure to read Slocum again, even though he hasn't helped me win this quiz. I sat down and re-read quite a bit of the book before I finally re-found this description. Thanks for that. Ambition led me to poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    We are looking for 1) a famous solo circumnavigator 2) his apocryphal singlehanded instrument
    Here's my W. A Guess-
    Harry Pidgeon on the sailboat Islander.

I have no idea of his instrument since I did not read anything about him.

However, since it was not Joshua Slocum, the first solo circumnavigation, a likely guess is Pidgeon, the second solo circumnavigator.

Ants

I thought of the Slocum option as well, but rejected it because the instrument usually used to calculate the distance of the moon from another heavenly body for a "lunar" sight is a Sextant, often married to a chronometer to determine longitude. Note the chronometer is not strictly necessary for this, as long as one can determine local noon, again with a sextant.

Also of note, though Slocum did a lot of writing (and bragging) about his "lunars", there is some dispute about how much he actually used them... from the available evidence, he appears to have mostly relied on DR navigation.
    That all having been said, he DID sail with a calibrated chronometer and sextant, so again, I discounted that answer.

I'm going with Ants here - the only notes I can find regarding Pidgeon's navigation methodology is "Westward toward the setting sun"

DH

Besides, we know old Harry went around on a converted fishing boat out of Santa Cruz Harbor.

Or something like that...