Page 413 of 628 FirstFirst ... 313363403409410411412413414415416417423463513 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,130 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Attachment 6152

Name:  sunset2.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  668.8 KB

Name:  Sunset3.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  1.27 MB

3 recent evenings above Capitola Village, experimenting with a Google Pixel 4a phone (Unenhanced)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    If you wondered the origin of large swells along the Pacific Coast the last few days, look no further than a Pacific storm of record proportions that swept the Aleutian Islands chain on New Year’s Eve with hurricane-force winds and 50-60 foot high waves.

According to NOAA scientists with the National Weather Service, it was the most intense storm ever recorded in the North Pacific, excluding typhoons, which are more tropical, need warmer waters, and are generally smaller in diameter.

Attachment 6145

At the center of this "cyclonic bomb"” was a barometric pressure of 921 millibars, equivalent to the eye of a Category 4 hurricane and lowest recorded pressure over the Aleutians in 70 years.

Attachment 6146
    The stuff nightmares are made of, and we're just going to see more and more of it.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

OH sleddog! I found the service invoice for that troublesome piece of kit you had installed, and sent in for service...

Name:  5f76f9427e8df_qvi145vath931__700.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  109.7 KB

And since this is the thread for all things unique and unusual, I'll present this..

the Flettner Rotor-Sailor - which I'd never even heard of until about an hour ago, on a totally unrelated site.

Name:  1200px-Buckau_Flettner_Rotor_Ship_LOC_37764u.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  169.2 KB

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/rotor-...xzz3buOEfbax&i

Name:  9bdf7c99f0035de4391e4129a0524e6d.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  42.4 KB

Very nice photographs, Skip. Looking through my "Instant Weather Forecasting" by Alan Watts, I find two photos that seem similar (though without the beautiful colors) to your photos but aren't:

sky associated with change =

Name:  sky 3 (2).jpg
Views: 734
Size:  260.7 KB

and

Name:  sky (2).JPG
Views: 828
Size:  175.6 KB

= sky associated with no immediate change. Even when I take the book with me sailing I can't figure it out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    And since this is the thread for all things unique and unusual, I'll present this.
    the Flettner Rotor-Sailor - which I'd never even heard of until about an hour ago, on a totally unrelated site.
    https://www.theengineer.co.uk/rotor-...xzz3buOEfbax&i
    Name:  9bdf7c99f0035de4391e4129a0524e6d.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  42.4 KB
    Thanks, Alan. It's been proven possible to "sail" directly into the wind using a propeller or rotor. Could be wrong, but I doubt such methods could exceed the windspeed. A real conundrum was: can you sail directly downwind (DDW)faster than the wind?

Many experts, including a Nobel Laureate, adamantly maintained it was impossible to exceed the windspeed DDW. For a rollicking fun story, I recommend Kimball Livingston's account of Rick Cavallaro and his "Thin Air Design" team's attempt with the Rube Goldberg BLACKBIRD, which can be found here: https://www.blueplanettimes.com/downwind-noir/

3X the windspeed DDW? "It might work in practice, but it won't work in theory".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcgmpBGSCI

If you look carefully, you can see the helmsman, Rick Cavallaro, hanging in a net behind the bow wheel.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-10-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Name:  swell2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  103.1 KB

As I hauled yesterday from my morning paddle, Santa Cruz Yacht Club Juniors, 8-10 years, clad in wetsuits and PFD's, were launching their Optimist dinghies. I had no idea the coaches were preparing to tow them outside the Harbor, whose entrance was closing out on many swells, 10-15 feet.

Apparently, it did not go well, and all 6 Optimists capsized in the entrance. I do not know details as yet, but no lives were lost.

Off Capitola Boat Club, at the minus .7' low tide, the large swell was beginning to crest a full half mile offshore. The Cement Ship a mile down the coast looked like Victory at Sea.

Name:  swell.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  197.2 KB

I can only imagine the Potato Patch yesterday afternoon outside the Golden Gate. Nearby Maverick's surf site was reportedly showing 50 footers. Doggies!

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  swell2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  103.1 KB

As I hauled yesterday from my morning paddle, Santa Cruz Yacht Club Juniors, 8-10 years, clad in wetsuits and PFD's, were launching their Optimist dinghies. I had no idea the coaches were preparing to tow them outside the Harbor, whose entrance was closing out on many swells, 10-15 feet.

Apparently, it did not go well, and all 6 Optimists capsized in the entrance. I do not know details as yet, but no lives were lost.

Off Capitola Boat Club, at the minus .7' low tide, the large swell was beginning to crest a full half mile offshore. The Cement Ship a mile down the coast looked like Victory at Sea.

Name:  swell.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  197.2 KB

I can only imagine the Potato Patch yesterday afternoon outside the Golden Gate. Nearby Maverick's surf site was reportedly showing 50 footers. Doggies!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
    Video shows what happened to 5 Optimists and 1 El Toro under tow heading back into Santa Cruz Harbor against a 2 knot ebb current. With 6 dinghies on a string against the tide, things went sideways not unexpectedly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2235...7602242206123/

Another string of 5 Optimists and 1 El Toro waited outside, and were brought into the Harbor individually aboard a Harbor Patrol Boat.

Surfers who had been kicked out of the entrance the day before by the Harbor Patrol, yesterday saved the day, arriving on scene within seconds and using their boards to carry the swimming kids. No children were injured, and to my view, all were wearing wetsuits and PFD's.

Name:  swell5.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  swell3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  191.3 KB

Before their exiting the Harbor I watched as kids practiced jumping into the 52 degree water from the launch ramp, removing and then donning their PFD's, before climbing out on their own. As well as 3 coaches, parents were in attendance and the kids were excited and laughing.

Nevertheless, it was poor judgement taking the class out in the ocean given both the forecast, the minus low tide and ebb current, the state of the swell, and age and experience of the junior sailors.

Further up the Coast some were not so fortunate.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2021 at 01:40 PM.

I went out with my wife and oldest son yesterday in our Boston Whaler Montauk. We originally planned to go from RYC to Pt. Bonita or thereabouts to see if there were any whales around and take advantage of the nice weather to get out of the house. We rode the ebb out the gate and turned back to the bay pretty quickly! The waves weren't breaking in that part of the channel but were big and steep, we stayed dry going slow with the bow up and could have kept going if we had a reason, it just didn't seem like a great idea. South of the south tower had a giant peeling break all the way across. We ended up finding porpoises off GGYC and did a bay tour instead. I hope no Opti kids were permanently traumatized!

Name:  2831.jpeg
Views: 665
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  cbc3.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  234.4 KB

Vice-Commodore Synthia and staff member Rreveur visited the CBC clubhouse today. Lower right on deck table is a new set of acacia wood spurtles.