Page 427 of 628 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437477527 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,270 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    "Close enough" for this edition of Antique Boatshow.
    Horse shoes and hand grenades!

I had an old Youngbloods song messing me up, I need to de-frag the hard drive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OimAEdj7Qa0
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Name:  modelshoeandviolin.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  modelshoe.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  modelshoe3.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  modelviolin2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  modelviolin3.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  88.4 KB

Default sister ships?

Ah ha! Inspiration abounds! For my next craft....

Name:  IMG_1143.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  181.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Ah ha! Inspiration abounds! For my next craft....
    Name:  IMG_1143.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  181.0 KB
    You are building winch handles, yes? (For those who were wondering, yes, Mini-MAGIC's winches do turn.)

On second thought, Skip, here is a famous tale which might apply:

https://poets.org/poem/wynken-blynken-and-nod

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    On second thought, Skip, here is a famous tale which might apply:
    https://poets.org/poem/wynken-blynken-and-nod
    Name:  winken.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  9.1 KB

Purr-fect! Did you and Fluffy happen to catch the cat which stormed Coors Field during a recent
    Colorado Rockies baseball game against the Dodgers? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ6ADOs9cIQ

Poetry, cats in a major league baseball game...we don't discriminate against relevant and irreverent information that may not be of concern like other sailing rags that never fail to print monthly photos of fresh caught dead or dying large fish....

In passing, worthy to note CBC Fleet Surgeon Ann C. recently scored a credible 521 points in an online Scrabble Game at the Extra Hard level. Her virtual solo opponent, the "Droid" is still smoking in defeat. The game is "Classic Word," a free app that can be dangerously addictive, educational, and competitive, simultaneously.

Name:  Scrabble.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  29.0 KB

On the medical front, good news is Port Captain Spruit is recovering from a nasty dog bite when an escaped English Bull Dog, "Walter," from across the street, clamped down on his arm and wouldn't release. Howard remains under professional care, on antibiotics, and daily observation and I'm sure will check in when he recovers use of his arm. (Both Walter and Howard had had their vaccinations.)

Name:  dogbite.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  92.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-04-2021 at 09:37 PM.

BOY! I could have done without that pic!!!!!

is a cat better pet than a dog?
    Well a dog can be properly trained to idolize protect and serve, a good thing.
    I cat will mind its manners and even be entertaining, however it is their nature to keep their prey alive until they get hungry.
    So I think we monkeys are Nothing more than fresh food that needs to be tolerated.
    For the record I do LIKE cats even though they care not about me.

The Santa Cruz surfing and sailing communities lost a long time friend when Jim Foley died yesterday after a year long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Jim was the consummate waterman, an outstanding surfer and board shaper, sailor, boat designer, and builder who was always enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge and experience with any one who was interested.

Jim began his surfing career on rubber surf mats in 1950. By 1953 he and his father, Chuck, were building surfboards out of wood planks. Early on Jim was experimenting with shapes, materials, and construction methods. He was also experimenting with fin designs.

Jim realized the importance of a lightweight surfboard for best wave riding performance and in 1956 started gluing together Styrofoam insulation boards 2 feet wide, 4 inches thick, and 8 feet long. He coated these early boards with watered down Weldwood glue and covered the board with polyester resin. Jim's early boards were cheap and easy to build, so much so that he could experiment with practically any shape to try out, sometimes 3 or 4 boards in a day.

Working as a fireman in San Jose, Jim was able to take his one week a month off and return to his home in Santa Cruz to be near and on the water. In 1956 Jim took a 9’2" foot surfboard that had a broken off tail, added 2 fins, and created (arguably), the first short board, truly a revolution in surfing that allowed never before dreamed of maneuvers on waves.

Here's Jim riding waves off Santa Cruz's Steamer Lane and River Mouth in 1956, not on the short board mentioned above. https://vimeo.com/362664919 Jim’s style was similar to what Dewey Weber was doing down in Malibu. So Jim's moves were not new to the game but were revolutionary in Northern California.

While designing and building surfboards for long time friend Jack O'Neill, Jim Foley also designed the first O'Neill logo. For the logo, Jack gave Jim $900.
    Name:  Foley 2.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  8.9 KB

With his sixth sense of what shapes worked on waves, Jim naturally caught the windsurfing and sailing bug. Jim's first boat design, in 1964, was the 27 foot trimaran PACIFIC LETTUCE, the fastest boat in Santa Cruz at its time. Then came something truly revolutionary, the narrow and ultra-light 32 footer THIRD REEF made with a core of Clark surfboard foam.. Nothing could beat THIRD REEF downwind. Unconfirmed rumor was Hobie Alter took one look at Jim's THIRD REEF, "borrowed" the idea, and created the Hobie 33. When questioned, both Jim and Hobie independently denied any association in the development of the H-33.

Next Jim built a 34 footer which he sailed to Hawaii and returned to build a Santa Cruz 40 DANA. Jim's slip in Santa Cruz only allowed 34 feet, so, typically creative, Jim cut off the back 6 feet and made the entire stern of DANA quickly removable for compliance with harbor rules.

It was on DANA that Jim and wife Linda completed a circumnavigation, bypassing the Panama Canal, by using a 2,000 mile overland passage.

In 1975 Hobie Alter paid Jim Foley the ultimate compliment when Hobie asked Jim, “how does it feel seeing all these young guys riding your short boards?”

Always creative, ready to help whether ashore or afloat, Jim Foley will be missed. Condolences to Linda, Dana, and Trevor.

Name:  Foley.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  537.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-06-2021 at 02:15 PM.

"Red Over Red, The Captain's Dead"
    https://gcaptain.com/dutch-container...north-sea-ais/

We've asked this historical question before, so there is no prize.
    The beginning of the end of WWII for the Germans began with a stuck rudder on what infamous ship?