Page 432 of 628 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Default Schooner MAGIC

For anyone interested in seeing more of the full size schooner MAGIC, there’s a nice video about the current owners. Follow this link https://www.offcenterharbor.com/2004...boating/#magic and scroll down to:
    VIDEO: Schooner MAGIC - A Family Goes Cruising
    Tom P.

One of the local pandemic activities was to pick up a book off the shelf and see what was missed earlier. Nautical Quarterly had this delightful photo of a SF legend from the early 80's.
    Enjoy.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 971
Size:  2.48 MB

Huge kudos to the 4 Indomitables who finished the recent SHF Race in challenging conditions. And to Synthia on finishing her last Farallones Race aboard well traveled and beloved EYRIE before changing hands.

Syn has also completed a magnificent addition to the Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum (CBC) with new cushion covers for the breakfast nook. No small achievement to align vertical and horizontal stripes. Well done, my friend!

Name:  310 Cushion (2).jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  2.94 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-21-2021 at 09:33 PM.

What a classy place is the CBC. Can I come visit and sit on the new cushions? Maybe next week? I'll bring that Jonathan Raban book.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What a classy place is the CBC. Can I come visit and sit on the new cushions? Maybe next week? I'll bring that Jonathan Raban book.
    Vaccinated visitors welcome anytime at CBC. Plenty of room to tie up at the floats. No shoes, no shirts, no problem.

Synthia without Eyrie, or Eyrie without Synthia? Times change, and we move on to other boats, on to other joys, but this is difficult for me.
    I'll treasure the memory of watching her at the start of a recent race, cool as ice cream, sheeting in the sails and off the line in perfect trim.
    Wishing both Synthia and Eyrie the best. SDK

Default Eyrie

Synthia and Eyrie coasting past Pier 39 on their own fiasco.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yesterday's YRA Doublehanded Series race began auspiciously enough, with the RC late to the party at buoy R2 off the Alameda Naval Air Station. When set, the line was no where near square, with the boat end so favored that starting any where else down the line was a big loser. Throw in a strong ebb current that had half a dozen nearby large container ships anchored bow to the current but stern to the wind, and a Giants/Dodgers baseball game just inshore of the weather mark near McCovey Cove, and there were all the ingredients for a good sized maritime party.

In 15 knots of wind, our start on the Wylie-39 CHECKERED PAST was on time a length down from the committee boat. Only problem was Cindy Lou and Milly B on the Alerion-38 ANOTHER GIRL had timed it perfectly and occupied the boat length wide gap to windward. Our attempt at getting nose ahead was hampered when a fuse for the electric main sheet winch blew at the start gun, leaving the 30 foot wishbone untrimmable. Kim handed me a winch handle, but that proved of questionable benefit, as the winch handle wouldn't clear the adjacent lifeline stanchion! Finally I found a stubby winch handle, and off we went, only to have injury added to insult when the tactician on ANOTHER GIRL planted a tack right ahead when were on the layline to the first mark. Good call Milly!

We got our act together, staying low on the starboard tack reach to the next mark, a buoy down near Candlestick Park.. It was quite gusty, and a boat in the class ahead got knocked down, spun into the wind, and auto tacked, then gybed, before resuming her original course. By the second buoy, we'd caught up with ANOTHER GIRL, with the WC-30 SALTY CAT breathing down our transoms. I managed to gather up most of the main sheet slack as we gybed to port, and off we went towards the Bay Bridge, aimed at leaving Yerba Buena Island to starboard as required in the SI's.

This leg, also a close reach, we chose to go a little higher, and benefited by getting the gusts first. With a good ebb, we were logging 10 knots SOG and managed to sneak over the top of ANOTHER GIRL as we hove abeam of the central abutment of the Bay Bridge. As we passed to .25 mi windward of Treasure Island we transitioned out of the South Bay ebb and into the North Bay ebb. We eased the main sheet and bore off 10 degrees for the Berkeley Flats, knowing we'd likely get lifted as we approached Richmond. CHECKERED PAST liked this new point of sail, and despite occasionally dragging the end of the wishbone in the quarter wake, we were riding waves at a fine clip and overhauling several of the boats in the class ahead while leaving ANOTHER GIRL and SALTY CAT in arrears.

With a mile to go to the Richmond Breakwater we were lifted as is usual, and the boats to windward were now running. Most chose not to set spinnakers, as setting and dousing for such a short distance when doublehanded is of questionable benefit. We got to the end of the Richmond Breakwater and passed it about 2 lengths off before gybing for the finish off the RYC platform. All in all, a fun afternoon of sailing what the YRA termed the "North-South" Race. At the dock we gathered aboard ANOTHER GIRL for a gam and snacks before I headed down the road to the CBC, 90 miles to leeward. Thanks, Kim sharing a fun day!
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-24-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Huge kudos to the 4 Indomitables who finished the recent SHF Race in challenging conditions. And to Synthia on finishing her last Farallones Race aboard well traveled and beloved EYRIE before changing hands.

Syn has also completed a magnificent addition to the Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum (CBC) with new cushion covers for the breakfast nook. No small achievement to align vertical and horizontal stripes. Well done, my friend!

Name:  310 Cushion (2).jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  2.94 MB
    They look great. I saw them under construction at a recent visit to Beats Mowin' the Lawn!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I wasn't sure where to post this so I'm hijacking your thread.
    Another solo sailor off to Hawaii with plans to return by the Aleutian Islands:
    https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...lay/SVMardeLuz