Page 434 of 628 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Hmmm. Chris Bertish recently left Half Moon Bay to be the first to wing foil to Hawaii. On Yellow Brick tracker, looks like Chris is headed for CBC instead. We'll feed him some Macapuno and get him underway. No weirdo too weird for the CBC docks.

Name:  ChrishBertish2.png
Views: 926
Size:  158.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-09-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Seriously: Doesn't everybody end up at the CBC eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Good news for the 2021 Class of Buglighters: I have confirmed with Rocky and Priscilla that their traditional half way barge, BUBBLES, will be on station from 0800, June 24th, until 2200, June 29th (PDST) to service the SHTP fleet. Free tie up in BUBBLE'S protected slippage will be allowed for 3 hours and deducted from the yacht's finish time.

Featured this year are Transpac mochas, free range 1/2 pound BBQ burgers, and Mahi Florentine Benedict with Gayle's scones and marmalade jam. As well, there will be sunset Dark and Stormys with umbrellas, Jackie's pineapple bundt cake, and Marianne's Macapuno icecream.

Also, hot showers and an ice machine, the much acclaimed waterslide and electric jet skis from previous races will again be featured, as well as Ballenger Spars repair shop and Synderella's spinnaker repair loft. All this included in your race entry

Standing by to take your lines...... The 2021 SHTP Adopt-A-Weirdo Committee.
    Bump

Having given up SUP as overrated, paddlin' MADELINE most mornings is an eminently more satisfying substitute. MADELINE is a 40 year old, polyethelyne, green Kiwi kayak. 8.5 feet and 25 pounds, MAD fits conveniently inside my car and is indestructible. With a carbon paddle, she is fast (nearly a knot faster than the SUPs) and seaworthy.

My medium and long courses are both in the ocean off Santa Cruz Harbor, usually traversed at sunrise. Nice time with little or no traffic except dolphins and maybe a whale or two. I never fail to learn from watching the surroundings: currents, wave and swell action, the wind changing from offshore drainage to onshore seabreeze, how to take a large powerboat wake (slow and bow on), the smell of coffee roasting and bacon coming from inland....

This morning was a little different. Though sunny when I left CBC, viz at Santa Cruz Harbor was 100 yards. The medium course, 2.5 miles, is near enough to shore that, except for kayaks, fishing boats avoid the vicinity. Outside the breakwater and heading southwest towards the Wharf, there were few visual clues to find the turning mark ahead, the Coast Guard buoy. Not to worry, I kept the breakwater horn astern and the Wharf horn on the bow. Both sound at 30 second intervals, and sometimes overlapped. Other navigational clues were the sea lions barking under the wharf on the starboard bow. As well, I passed my sea otter friend who reliably hangs in a known kelp paddy.

The CG buoy did appear ahead and I made my turn to head back into the glow of the sun, which I knew was rising above the Harbor breakwater lighthouse.

Sleddog singlehanding, with no moving parts except himself, as he paddled MADELINE home.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaAhE0UBuqE
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-14-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hmmm. Chris Bertish recently left Half Moon Bay to be the first to wing foil to Hawaii. On Yellow Brick tracker, looks like Chris is headed for CBC instead. We'll feed him some Macapuno and get him underway. No weirdo too weird for the CBC docks.

Name:  ChrishBertish2.png
Views: 926
Size:  158.6 KB
    Here comes Chris towards the hot shower at Morro Bay Yacht Club on his way to Hawaii.

Name:  Wing Project.png
Views: 1009
Size:  9.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-13-2021 at 05:15 PM.

"Standing into danger!" can be a simple and effective warning to a fellow sailor. But the question arises as to when it is appropriate to issue a warning, and how. For example, this morning a 34' sloop left the Harbor fuel dock. He was dragging his bowline and I felt it appropriate to hail, as the Harbor entrance channel is no place to wrap a mooring line in the screw. Then I noticed he was passing the wrong side of the green channel marker. Did I hail another warning? No I did not. He was out of hailing distance, distracted, and running his engine. This same sloop then bounced off the edge of the sandy beach inside the Harbor. Clearly the skipper was not paying attention from the get go.

Is it our responsibility to make sure people are awake, aware, and competent when sailing (driving, flying, walking, etc.)?

Flash ahead 30 minutes as I reentered the Harbor in my kayak. There was a visiting, dark blue sloop, a nice looking 42 footer named ALACRITY, end-tied near the fuel dock with 3 people in the cockpit. As I approached to pass ALACRITY, I noticed what to my eye is a serious deficiency: the upper spreaders were drooping at 30 degrees!

I slowed to ponder this, and noticed the main boom lazy jacks were secured half way out the underside of the upper spreaders, likely imparting significant downward pressure on the spreaders, enough to move them down the upper shrouds ~8" from horizontal. I thought, "geez, if ALACRITY is sailing to windward in good breeze, there is a significant chance an upper spreader will fail and the mast will break.

There was my dilemma: an unknown stranger in a small kayak telling the crew of a $150,000 yacht their spreaders were misaligned and might fail, and their mast may break." Usually I'm not bashful, but given the cool greeting I received upon approach, I decided to just say, "nice boat," and pass on by.

These conundrums are not unfamiliar to most readers of this thread. When to intercede in someone else's safety without possibly knowing the full facts. And if you intercede, how to anticipate you might just make things worse? TBC
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-14-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Spreader droop is all too common. Just look around any harbor. They probably get away with it due to a certain amount of over engineering. But, there comes a point (and probably at the worst time) when failure is inevitable. I wonder if there’s been a recent increase in insurance claims for mast failures? Read on…

I was surprised when applying for insurance for my Wyliecat 30 that the insurance company wanted a Rig Inspection, else the rig would be excluded from the policy. I understand this has become more common. Of course I had to laugh since the WC30 has no stays, shrouds, spreaders, tangs or chainplates. I wasn’t too concern about insuring the rig, but because I had recently had the mast out and had worked closely with the Rigging Manager at KKMI, he agreed to author a rig inspection letter that satisfied the insurance company.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 06-15-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Tom P.

i think the days where someone could wait patiently at the dock gate, get let in, and quietly walk the dock to view a boat are over. There have been harbor rules about "No Visitors On The Docks" forever, of course. Despite that, for decades I have walked down docks at marina's to go to a specific boat, never touching anything, never boarding a boat, and treating everyone with respect....but technically breaking the rules. I have fond memories as a kid of walking the docks in Monterey, or just lying on them and leaning over to look at the marine animals on the floats. That single experience, looking at the animals growing and living on the docks in Monterey, played a huge role in my pursuing degrees in Marine Science. I loved doing that.

On Saturday we were at Half Moon Bay, and I thought to walk down and take a look at Philippe's "Changabang". That resulted in the fourth very aggressive and uncomfortable confrontation over "No visitors on the docks" with a tenant that I've had in the past six months. I don't "push it" because of course the people I'm interacting with are right. There are harbor rules, and they're just supporting them. Joan and I left without making a fuss.

It's just that decades went by with no issues whatsoever and now this is the fourth time in the last 8-12 months that I've been yelled at. OK, then. Things have changed. I don't know WHY things have changed, but they have. Maybe there's been a slowly growing trend of off-the-dock thefts, or maybe there have been some high-profile lawsuits that I don't know about. Or maybe the world is just a different place.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    On Saturday we were at Half Moon Bay, and I thought to walk down and take a look at Philippe's "Changabang". That resulted in the fourth very aggressive and uncomfortable confrontation over "No visitors on the docks" with a tenant that I've had in the past six months. I don't "push it" because of course the people I'm interacting with are right. There are harbor rules, and they're just supporting them. Joan and I left without making a fuss.
    I may have been there. Text me next time at three one seven one thousand one. SF area code ... Love proudly showing CaB :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    i think the days where someone could wait patiently at the dock gate, get let in, and quietly walk the dock to view a boat are over.
    Alan: I’m a life-time marina explorer. My favorite warning is the often posted sign that says: “Boat Owners and Guests Only.” I’m a boat owner and so are you so that means we must be OK.

Bring your bride to Sausalito, have a nice lunch and a wonderful day walking the docks. There are no gates at the downtown Sausalito Yacht Harbor (you will have to pay for parking). I was a live aboard there for 18 years and it’s a wonderful and interesting place to walk among a very wide variety of interesting and sometimes unusual boats.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 06-14-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    Tom P.