Page 447 of 628 FirstFirst ... 347397437443444445446447448449450451457497547 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,470 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Can someone tell the powers that be the Overall Final Results for the 2021 SHTP are in error. RAINBOW did not win the overall best corrected time, and Cliff would be the first to tell you. This has been an ongoing issue for years and promotes misunderstandings to both the public and press. Anyone there?

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...=r201&TYP=html
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-05-2021 at 01:15 PM.

I love the pictures with the kids, Skip!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A recent trip to Los Osos Boatbuilders and Cathouse found Craig has hanked on Mini-MAGIC's new suit of sails. The main and foresail luff slides even work on the mast track. The standing 1x19 rigging is also complete, with mini-swages and turnbuckles, and tested to 138 pounds breaking strength. Next up is casting the lead keel. Craig's attention to detail is amazing. I did mention the winches turn (but alas, no winch handles anticipated.)

Name:  mini-Magic4.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  Magic3.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  485.2 KB

Big boats, maxi budgets, all professional crews, important ocean race. What does it get you?

Strangely, it recently got two "captains of industry" no where. In the Transpac last month the 72 foot LUCKY, representing the New York Yacht Club, lost steering entering the Molokai Channel, 30 miles upwind of the finish at Diamond Head.

Name:  LUCKY.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  139.6 KB

What did LUCKY's crew do? Rig their race required emergency steering? No such enterprise. Instead, LUCKY abandoned the race, called the Coast Guard who then came out and towed them into Honolulu. What is this about? A dozen pros couldn't get LUCKY downwind to finish? Finishing without a rudder, mast, and blown sails is in the finest tradition of Transpac.

Miles and Beryl Smeeton, and John Guzzwell would be appalled. TZU HANG was not 30 miles upwind of Oahu with a boatload of pros when they pitch poled. They persevered where ordinary people would have perished.

We may dismiss this unprofessional effort as a fluke. But what just happened in the Fastnet Race? One of the biggest, baddest racers, the all pro RAMBLER 88, winner of the last two Fastnets, and definite threat for both first-to-finish mono hull and first overall, jibed when rounding the Fastnet Rock, took off at 20 knots, and forgot to leave the TSS (Traffic Separation Scheme) to port as mandated by the race rules, earning them disqualification, perhaps the biggest pro-racing navigational blunder since TEAM VESTAS WIND ran up on the Cargados Carajos reef near Mauritius in the Volvo Ocean Race.

Name:  RAMBLER88.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  69.6 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hut2uOe1lt8

Leaves me speechless, which is not unusual.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-21-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    hahaha. You may be speechless, but your fingers still work.

For Lee Johnson and MORNING STAR's friends from Hanalei, Lee is currently 415 miles WNW of his revised destination of Neah Bay, WA. MORNING STAR is running DDW before 20 knots of wind and making good time heading ESE with a likely ETA of Saturday.

Lee's original destinations of Seward and Sitka, AK, were canceled when the weather turned sour and he encountered multiple days of heavy fog. Good sailing on in, Lee! https://share.garmin.com/MorningStar

PS: For interested parties, Neah Bay is closed to landing as is the marina and fuel dock. Anchorage may be had for an unlimited time.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-18-2021 at 11:32 AM.

For Lee Johnson and MORNING STAR's friends from Hanalei, Lee is currently 415 miles WNW of his revised destination of Neah Bay, WA. .
    Apologies, I spoke too soon. Yesterday, Lee turned on his left turn signal, assumed a due E course, and will exit the Interstate at Cape Scott, Vancouver Island, destination Port Hardy. Cape Scott is the NW corner of Vancouver Island, and this change of plans means MORNING STAR will be rounding Vancouver Island clockwise, leaving it to the West.

Big surf from a long period southerly swell this morning in Monterey Bay. Definitely had to pay attention leaving and entering Santa Cruz Harbor in my kayak, as "sneaker" waves were breaking half way across the entrance every 5 minutes or so.

Fools step in where angels fear to tread was the scene I witnessed on the Harbor breakwater this morning, with walkers oblivious to the fact the occasional sneaker wave could have washed them off as they gazed seaward from near the lighthouse. The ocean doesn't care, but maybe it did, and no waves appeared for an extended period. The walkers never even realized they'd put their lives at risk.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-19-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Can someone tell the powers that be the Overall Final Results for the 2021 SHTP are in error. RAINBOW did not win the overall best corrected time, and Cliff would be the first to tell you. This has been an ongoing issue for years and promotes misunderstandings to both the public and press. Anyone there?

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...=r201&TYP=html
    Silence. Guessing no one at JIBESET or the Board cares....Misunderstandings will continue as multis and monos race together and are scored together despite sailing under dissimilar rating systems. Basic. Jibeset seems to be the oracle through which SSS and SHTP speaks. I guess ALOHA's overall trophy should be awarded to RAINBOW as per JIBESET.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-21-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Jibeset doesn't make decisions. Decisions are fed into Jibeset by the Racing Authority, in the case the SSS, and Jibeset simply processes what it's told. It's up to the SSS management to decide who gets the trophy by either setting Jibeset up for a Mono and Multi Division or to combine them. I don't know how reads this Forum, but if you tally up the multi-message contributors they are very small in number, count them on one hand. I don't see many SSS offices, so perhaps they don't see your pleas? On a slightly different note, I've been trying to years to find out where the Singlehanded HMB Trophy Box is. I've done my pleading with several different SSS Boards, but to no avail. It would be nice to at least see my name engraved on the trophy, even if I can't hold it in my hands. What I'm getting at, even if you were to address Board members by personal emails, you might find nothing gets done.

e. In the Transpac last month the 72 foot LUCKY, representing the New York Yacht Club, lost steering entering the Molokai Channel, 30 miles upwind of the finish at Diamond Head.

Name:  LUCKY.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  139.6 KB

What did LUCKY's crew do? Rig their race required emergency steering? No such enterprise. Instead, LUCKY abandoned the race, called the Coast Guard who then came out and towed them into Honolulu. What is this about? A dozen pros couldn't get LUCKY downwind to finish? Finishing without a rudder, mast, and blown sails is in the finest tradition of Transpac.

Miles and Beryl Smeeton, and John Guzzwell would be appalled. TZU HANG was not 30 miles upwind of Oahu with a boatload of pros when they pitch poled. They persevered where ordinary people would have perished.

After doing some poking, the Transpac YC media rep answered thusly:

Hi Skip -I did not talk with them myself, but this topic came up in the latest TPYC Board call. Turns out LUCKY's plan was to use the bucket method, which they claimed they tested successfully before the race in CA, but that method proved worthless in the Molokai Channel in 30 knots of wind and 8-foot seas.

The Coast Guard consented to take them because their concern in having Ilio Point nearby as a lee shore.

TPYC may write a report about this so as to ascertain if that bucket method is reliable for these style boats.

A professional crew believed they could steer a 70 footer across an ocean towing a bucket? Who are these guys? They need to attend a SHTP Emergency Steering seminar.