Page 454 of 628 FirstFirst ... 354404444450451452453454455456457458464504554 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,540 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'd ask Randy. He's the only Westsail 32 owner I've met who is realistic about the boat's performance and isn't trying to defend it.
    I've not seen Capt. Randy post here. He's probably baking biscuits in his well appointed galley. Speaking of Westsails, I have friends who spent years prepping for their world cruise. On the second night after leaving Santa Cruz, they were run down north of Pt. Conception. The boat was dismasted and holed, but managed to stay afloat while being towed to Santa Barbara. Traumatized..End of cruise...The couple spent considerable money hiring an investigator and lawyer to locate who left the blue stripe on their Westsail hulk. The blue ship with rigging on its anchor was found in San Francisco and a lawsuit filed. The ship owner maintained the Westsail masthead light was inoperative as the tricolor was found smashed on deck. They finally settled for the cost of a bare boat, something like $20K...
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-22-2021 at 01:51 PM.

There's a Westsail Rendezvous at Owl Harbor this weekend.

Philpott says cell service is good there, so these posts have probably been seen and may be a topic for spirited discussion among the fleet!

Name:  Tortuga.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  57.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-22-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Even still, 3 knots of wind making 10 tons move at 4.2 knots through the water seems a good trick.
    It does seem to be a bit of a stretch.

I'm with Ants. No

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    It does seem to be a bit of a stretch.

I'm with Ants. No
    Thanks, INTERMISSION. 2 yays, 2 nays, and one non-committal. OK, here's what we do in event of a tie. We wait until Monday for the definitive answer to the question to be posted, in hopes maybe some Westsail 32 owners at their rendezvous in Owl Harbor will chime in with their opinion. And we know they are universally opinionated, passionate, and enjoy cooking aboard.

I'd say ... Maybe theoretically but in real life conditions? You'd need perfect sea conditions, great oversized sails, intent steering (light winds are never steady), a super slick bottom, all dead weight removed but weight to leeward, no rocking the boat. Also, gaining momentum when heavy in light wind is not easy (I think as I've not handled heavy boats personally). And then very well calibrated instruments are needed to even be sure that what they tell you is in fact true ...
    I'd say no.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I'd say ... Maybe theoretically but in real life conditions? You'd need perfect sea conditions, great oversized sails, intent steering (light winds are never steady), a super slick bottom, all dead weight removed but weight to leeward, no rocking the boat. Also, gaining momentum when heavy in light wind is not easy (I think as I've not handled heavy boats personally). And then very well calibrated instruments are needed to even be sure that what they tell you is in fact true ...
    I'd say no.
    3 Nays....But, PJ, what if all your exacting theoretical requirements were not hypothetical? Standby..All will be revealed regarding my friend's conundrum getting his Westsail "up to speed."

Which reminds me, aeronautical engineers said a bee could never fly. We just watched a wonderful documentary on the PBS Nature platform entitled "My Garden of a Thousand Bees." Fun and revelatory. Recommended.

https://www.pbs.org/video/my-garden-...d-bees-trjhzt/
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-22-2021 at 08:58 PM.

I mean, just the idea of a steady 3 kts breeze seems implausible. There'd be gusts and lulls, wind shifts. I found this interesting:
    https://youtu.be/jyQwgBAaBag

Atmospheric River here it comes. Nice looking map of precip forecast for tomorrow, Sunday afternoon. Monty on local Santa Cruz Vessel Assist just towed in last abandoned boat at anchor off the Santa Cruz Wharf. Cheaper than pulling them off the beach.

Name:  Atmospheric River.png
Views: 538
Size:  90.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-23-2021 at 10:40 AM.

My vote is Yes! ……surprise!
    And a comment about weight… once moving, weight is your friend in these conditions.

For those of you not familiar with the Bakerius Propanious Ovenious theorem that adds additional insight into this discussion; The velocity of the heated gas spread across any number of whole grains has the affect of creating not only a warm cabin environment, but also a delicious baked good. The generated heat then in turn creates an unwind draft from the cabin down below, thus filling the mainsail with added camber and draft, thereby creating speed and momentum.

So, my vote is YES!