Page 459 of 627 FirstFirst ... 359409449455456457458459460461462463469509559 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    What's the depth into Drakes Estero? Wikipedia says the Golden Hind drew 13.5 feet. I know things have changed since back then but still...
    Very good question that deserves an explanation. We know that the mouths of tidal estuaries, river mouths and beaches change shape both horizontally and in profile seasonally, and they can silt-in over time. Drake was on our coast in the Summer of 1579. In 1595, sixteen years after Drake, the Portuguese explorer Sebastian Rodriquez Cermeño led a Spanish expedition to explore and map the California coast. Records from the Cermeño expedition indicate they found three Spanish fathoms (sixteen-and-a-half English feet) of water over the estero bar at high tide. So, there’s evidence that in 1579 it’s likely there was enough depth for the Golden Hind to enter the estero.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 11-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    What's the depth into Drakes Estero? Wikipedia says the Golden Hind drew 13.5 feet. I know things have changed since back then but still...
    Hi Jonathan,

Little known is GOLDEN HIND had a consort for the passage north from Huatulco, Mexico, and ultimately into Drakes Bay, the Estero, and Cove. This was a small bark or "fregata," TELLO's Bark, named after its Spanish owner when captured near Panama. TELLO's Bark had two masts, was square rigged, and had a small mizzen. She was about 40 feet long, drew about 5 feet, displaced 15 tons and was a nimble sailor, which Drake liked, especially for close-in navigation. It was likely TELLO's Bark could safely sail into and out of Drake's Estero with the tide and provide soundings. As well, Drake was very familiar with careening GOLDEN HIND, and likely used TELLO's Bark to assist careening as well as to carry men and gear during the process. More info on this can be found here: https://www.discoveringnovaalbion.or...is-tellos-bark

Name:  DrakeTellos.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  Drake's Careening.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  DrakesTellos2008.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  576.6 KB

What became of TELLO's Bark is unknown. She was likely left behind at Pt. Reyes and could be one of the nearby wrecks discovered there.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-07-2021 at 08:46 PM.

This is fascinating - thank you to the contributors.

In both of the more recent photos it is breaking at the mouth of Drake's Estero. But in the right conditions one might anchor off the mouth and take a small boat inside, which would enable more thorough exploring. It would be even safer if you weren't singlehanding so someone could stand anchor watch aboard the "mother ship." Then a swift rowboat, kayak or even a little cat boat (sail) would be the ticket.

As a kid, even to this day, I enjoy walking docks, visiting boat yards, and enjoying a chinwag with racing or cruising crew. Alas, access has become more difficult over the years with security.

As mentioned above on 11/05/21, these days kayaking has proven inexpensive means for both exercise and "walking the docks." A CBC flag at the bow, or crew shirt from a SSS Race, provides introduction if needed. Locally I kayak early morning inside and outside Santa Cruz Harbor and enjoy the sounds and smells that are lost later in the day with local busyness. As well, there are often interesting visiting yachts on end ties to admire or critique.

Just the other day I saw an osprey on the masthead wind vane of a Catalina 36 with his talons tightly gripping the masthead anemometer cups.The osprey decided his perch was less than secure and flew off as I paddled on, under the bridge, and into the Upper Harbor where I came across a 40 foot power boat, LISA MARIE with a starboard list, stern step underwater, and no one around. I halted and hailed, but no answer. I called the Harbor Office on VHF 9 with my handheld and advised the situation...Nothing worse than a potential sinking and oil spill.

Sure enough, on my return lap, LISA MARIE was going down stern first. But on the dock was a Harbor Patrolman with a large electric pump gushing water. As I passed he hailed a "Thank You!" Monty on VESSEL ASSIST was charging from his slip with red light flashing, and 3 fire trucks with red lights and sirens raced overhead on the Harbor Bridge. Thankfully the combined forces saved LISA MARIE who was then towed to the Travel Lift at the boatyard and hauled. I never did ask what failed.

All in a day. And it wasn't even 8 a.m.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-09-2021 at 02:28 PM.

I will attempt an answer to Tchoupitoulas trivia over on his thread, New Boat for Tchoup. "what do you call the lines that hold up the wishbone boom?.

I don't know what Nat Herreshoff called them, but on Wyliecats they are called simply "hangers."

The weather here at CBC is so delicious it is hard to be indoors for very long. But here is your trivia. One correct answer earns honorable mention, two correct answers earns a CBC burgee. And if you can answer all three, you win a quart of Macapuno from Grady's market down the street. Here goes:

1) What veteran boat/skipper had this as a crew shirt in a SHTP?
    Name:  phil.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  31.3 KB

2) What famous dinghy, below, was once the largest one design class in Santa Cruz, with 20-30 boats regularly racing. The class even had an ocean race, a '"Transpac" from Santa Cruz Harbor, to an ocean mark, to China Beach, and one of our forum denizens designed and built a kick-up rudder especially to sail through the kelp at Pleasure Point and win the Transpac. Name:  Andre.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  271.7 KB

3) Who was Manuel "Manny" Fagundes?
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-12-2021 at 04:29 PM.

1) Bill Meanley
    2) My reactive answer was "Andre is nuts" but the real answer is the Jester dinghy. "Jester" is also the name of our El Toro.
    3) Portuguese dairy farmer from Marin. Mover and shaker in the GGYC - the kind of guy who was always there to help. The club named the Manuel Fagundes Seaweed Soup midwinter series for him. Gordie and Ruth won the bowl one year, got the recipe from the GGYC and made the soup in it!
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-12-2021 at 02:00 PM.

BobJ scores 100%. Happy to see in his recent retirement he has time for this distraction. Well done, Robert!

Wow Sled that thing is powered up!
    Hangers. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Wow Sled that thing is powered up!
    Tchoup is referring to good friend and shipmate Andre' Lacour, one of the best sailors I know, and watch captain for many years on SC-70 MIRAGE. Here again is Andre' hiking on his Jester dinghy at Mother' Day Regatta, Woodward Lake, 1991. Look closely. Below the photo Andre' answers your questions:

Name:  Andre.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  271.7 KB

it is really hard to remember exactly how I rigged the 505 spinny on my 7 foot Jester, but when I zoom in on the photo in my laptop it does appear the spin sheet is in my tiller hand. The main sheet became irrelevant because the tent pole aka spin pole was lashed directly to the boom so when I trimmed the pole with my right hand the boom moved as well. As far as returning to shore, once dousing the kite I resumed normal sailing, but I am sure when I got to the beach I had an adult beverage. Yes 8 kts TWS is probably the max. This photo is quite special to me. I have used it for years as an avatar for an online sailing game I play. The fact that you took this picture makes it that much more special. I have been playing a game called VSK5 for quite some time now. I find it the best sailing game/ simulator. What’s funny is I am the top ranked sailor in the US. Best, Andre', Kihei, Maui.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-15-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    1) Bill Meanley
    2) My reactive answer was "Andre is nuts" but the real answer is the Jester dinghy. "Jester" is also the name of our El Toro.
    3) Portuguese dairy farmer from Marin. Mover and shaker in the GGYC - the kind of guy who was always there to help. The club named the Manuel Fagundes Seaweed Soup midwinter series for him. Gordie and Ruth won the bowl one year, got the recipe from the GGYC and made the soup in it!
    Hmmm. I was there that year, it was a lot of fun. But I remember that John Dukat researched and provided the recipe. A very particular tomato as I recall.

Good work Bob!