Page 461 of 627 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Would that "cool hot spring oasis" be Mercey hot springs?
    Beautiful quiet place.
    Haven't been there in quite a while.
    Enjoy!

80 degrees here this afternoon at CBC. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of cormorants just offshore. And a rare sighting of a bald eagle off Capitola Wharf. The record high temps will subside early tomorrow with the arrival of a Southerly Surge and accompanying low clouds and marine air currently making its way north along the southern Big Sur Coast.

Name:  Southerly Surge2.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  68.6 KB

BobJ collected a substantial portion of his trivia winnings this evening at CBC: Rum/Pecan cake, check. Triple Ginger Snaps, check. Bowl of Marianne's Macapuno icecream, check.

Name:  BobJ2.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  105.6 KB

Paddling with BobJ in CBC home waters: His comment about falling behind: "I'm texting!"

Name:  BobJ3.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  132.7 KB
    Name:  BobJ4.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  BobJ5.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  90.9 KB

CBC Port Captain Spruit found this homeless 200 pound musical machine on the sidewalk up the street. I 'm not sure why, but he has moved it in, plugged it in, and played the Notre Dame fight song to see if it works. It works, and now CBC likely is the only boat club on the west coast of North America with a Wurlitzer organ.

Name:  organ.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  110.4 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqrrgufSUw
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-03-2021 at 04:45 PM.

A wonderful and long-overdue visit to the CBC began with High Tea at 1430. This has became a tradition for Howard and Sled. Later in the visit Sled observed that with three officers present, the CBC Executive Board had reached a quorum. We tried to think of important decisions to make. Coming up empty, Howard rode off on his scooter (apparently to look at the Wurlitzer).

Sled was again a gracious host. I'd told him that Macapuno was neither required nor expected but two fresh quarts were on hand regardless. Other provisions were prepared and generously shared, sufficient to fuel our beach hikes and kayaking. Talking nonstop about all things sailing and racing was a treat, and I knew I'd need a strong reason to depart - today is Sail-a-Small-Boat day at RYC, an event I've been unable to attend because of tax season deadlines. But this year I can go!

Thanks for the great visit Sled, and for honoring me with a special item from Wildflower.

The texts while kayaking were from guess who?

SSS does cover the waterfront. Here are two likely SSS suspects we know sailing yesterday at the Richmond Y.C.'s "Sail a Small Boat Day" aboard Milly B's 110 PINK. Looking good!

Name:  Pink5.JPG
Views: 717
Size:  575.7 KB

Name:  Pink6.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  Pink7.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  Pink.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  64.5 KB

(My ability to post photos and even to stay logged in comes and goes.) Here's a sharper image of Pink, with Bill Claussen at the helm. Cinde Lou took this photo while we were sailing aboard Diana, John Arnold's Alerion Express 28. Yep, two Alerion Express 38 owners sailed on a 28 for the first time. These are the things that can happen at Sail-a-Small Boat day!
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-05-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Being a plywood boat freak the 110s, & Zephyrs are high on my favorit boat list.
    There was an active 110 fleet at Kaneohe YC back in the 1990 when I lived there.

Sail a Small Boat Day was a really fun event. Along with new RYC friends I was responsible for checking vax cards and asking people to sign waivers for themselves and their children. People came from as far away as Vacaville and Sacramento. Many of them had never been on a boat before, but they had their game faces on. A number of them thought that they would just be handed the painter and told to fend for themselves. We had to remember to tell them that there would be someone else as skipper. Their faces showed the relief.

The sun came out, a little breeze came up eventually, and for many people the ghosting along on the water was just the right speed.

One fella came up from Palo Alto. He said, "It's so quiet out there on the water. I had no idea. I need to learn to sail." I referred him to Sequoia Yacht Club. A woman showed up, said the same thing: "I had no idea sailing could be so wonderful." I suggested she buy herself a boat. Why not?

And I really liked Millie. Her boat, too. I promised to call her before DM and I go up to Tomales Bay again. She'll sail Big Pink down, because DM's draft is too deep for Inverness YC.

Here's a photo of Skip from Bob's visit. No, I wasn't there. Not enough Macapuno for three.

Name:  Skip and Madeline - Copy.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  389.1 KB