Page 463 of 628 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473513563 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,630 of 6271

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    My best friend in HS had a 110 mouldering away in his driveway all the years they were at that particular house. I never saw it on the water. I'd be really curious to sail one.
    There are iconic one designs from 80 or more years ago that still turn heads and give much pleasure as well as heady competition. The Star, the Snipe, and the Folkboat come to mind. The 110 is one of those special designs, first built in 1937 by Ray Hunt. If you want to see 110's in action, Inverness Yacht Club is the place with an active (and highly competitive) fleet.

Name:  Pink1.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  PINK3.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  75.5 KB

PS: #693 fouled #445
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-10-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    No foil, no keel, no center board.
    Wheels or blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Wheels or blades?
    Wheels seem more appropriate.
    Last time I saw blades and sails in action was in Adirondack region.

Do we get build updates?

As for wheels and sails, the last sighting for that was on the road between Quartzsite and Prescott?

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Wheels seem more appropriate.
    Last time I saw blades and sails in action was in Adirondack region.

Do we get build updates?

As for wheels and sails, the last sighting for that was on the road between Quartzsite and Prescott?

Ants
    Did I forget to mention wheels?

And of coarse, Sled, will require UPDATES....

But first a little background; Decades ago a friend of ours, Wane Kocher, who worked for SparCraft down south told us about the guys he worked with would go out to the dry lakes and race Land Sailors. So, of coarse, our group of over energetic sailors had to try it. I was part of that group, thay eventually had great success building state of the art machines, and securing a world championship, for Dennis Bassano. Catamaran racing and development was more important to me than the dirt boat scene at the time. But my life situation is now allowing me to pursue a mid level one design dirt boat.
    I currently have all the materials orderred and paid for except for, the tires and wheels, and paint. I am waiting for one of my Advisors to return home so he can advise me which wheel and tire combination will serve me best.

Try this link instead of the pdf below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEX1kM0hBjg&t=36s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-20-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    Did I forget to mention wheels?

I am waiting for one of my Advisors to return home so he can advise me which wheel and tire combination will serve me best.
    That happy balance between side slip and rolling resistance.

Where is the nearest dry lake bed suitable for this craft?

If you and Tchoupitoulas could post alternate days I would be most happy; this is exciting stuff!

Default 110s in Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    There are iconic one designs from 80 or more years ago that still turn heads and give much pleasure as well as heady competition. The Star, the Snipe, and the Folkboat come to mind. The 110 is one of those special designs, first built in 1937 by Ray Hunt. If you want to see 110's in action, Inverness Yacht Club is the place with an active (and highly competitive) fleet.

Name:  Pink1.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  PINK3.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  75.5 KB

PS: #693 fouled #445
    Thanks for posting these fun pics Sled ! We have a lot of fun and almost 30 boats up here, and a brand new fleet on Bainbidge Island !

Hey AlanH - come visit us in Inverness ! I will get you on a boat ASAP !

With a 43 knot gust this morning in CBC's offshore neighborhood,the Coast Guard's words of warning to "tether your boat to port" does not seem so strange. In fact, CBC's Director of Currents and Wind took the Coastie's warning to heart and advised CBC members to "Bolt your socks on and leash your puppies with a tether.."

As I paddled by the 44 foot sloop PARADOX, homeport Missoula, MT, I noticed she was swinging into the fairway with no one aboard..Again my handheld VHF proved its worth with a call on VHF 9 to the Harbor Dept, who fetched the wayward boat and secured. Apparently whomever originally tied up PARADOX flunked knot tying and wrapping a dockline on a cleat. Yeehaw!

Speaking of "puppies," on a recent visit to CBC with puppy RReveur, Synbad nominated herself for club "Dog Wrangler."
    Said Synthia, "Every yacht club worth its salt needs a dog wrangler." I did not disagree and the appointment has been made.

Name:  Synthia2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  95.0 KB

Headlines in Providence, RI, features photos of two, 110 foot superyachts burning over a period of hours at the Hinckley facility. The powerboat was in slings on the TraveLift, and the maxi-sloop next door.

Name:  Fire.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  89.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-13-2021 at 01:27 PM.

OK, Team, maybe someone can help me understand the below NCPHRF Guidelines. Item VII.2.a. seems to contradict Item VII.7.a.

VII. ADJUSTMENTS TO BASE RATINGS
    2.a. A 3spm credit is typically issued if LP of the largest headsail is less than 125% of J

7. ITEMS FOR WHICH THERE WILL BE NO CREDIT GIVEN:
    a. Sail inventories with headsails having an LP less than 125% of J

A friend who hopes to race SSS ordered a headsail measuring at 124% LP to qualify for the 3 second credit for having an LP less than 125%. It is the largest jib carried.

However, by having a jib less than 125% LP, "No Credit is Given."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-13-2021 at 03:51 PM.

I believe it means the credit is not automatic. If the boat's rating assumes a headsail LP <= 155% of J and the owner chooses to only carry a <125% headsail, he doesn't automatically get a 3 sec. credit - he has to request it. It's similar to Carliane's spinnaker question: PHRF assumes you carry a spinnaker. You don't automatically get a credit if you choose not to. However you could apply to have the boat rated with no spinnaker and the rating would probably be adjusted.