Page 479 of 628 FirstFirst ... 379429469475476477478479480481482483489529579 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    As we all know, misunderstandings when sailing with crew….
    My Sue enjoys telling a related story: Sue grew up sailing small boats on Keuka Lake, one of the Finger Lakes in up-state New Your. Keuka Lake is most famously known for the Penn Yan Boat Company and the inventor, motorcycle racer, and early aviator Glenn H. Curtiss of Hammondsport.
    When Sue was about 10-12 she was at the helm of their small cat boat beating to weather with her father and cousin when her father quietly suggests she should, “fall-off.” Her cousin promptly rolled off the deck into the water. In her cousin’s defense, it must be noted that in summertime, swimming in the lake was often done to cool off.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-12-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    Tom P.

Name:  IMG_0832.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  111.2 KB
    Skeeter Spring build report. The Americas, land sailing, Cup Is happening at Ivanpah dry lake this week, with competitors coming from all over the US and Europe.
    On the Mini Skeeter project I have completed all the metal work, and painted the steel parts, the dual steering system and Parking brake, and mast step are installed in the hull, so I can start strip planking the deck. the rear axel is complete, and the tires are all mounted on the alloy split rim gokart wheels.
    After glueing and shaping the deck, the next major task is fiberglass and paint.....
    Last edited by Howard Spruit; 03-21-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Not a good night to be at sea off the Central CA. coast with gale warnings for south wind veering west, then northwest with a frontal passage in the next 24-36 hours. Currently winds are south, 25-30 knots, one mile offshore Capitola Boat Club with dark clouds to the West.

I am reminded of the adage "never leave a good port on a bad day," and with the forecast available, am surprised Keniche Horie in his 19 foot sloop chose to leave SF yesterday for Japan. I am not privy to a tracker and it didn't seem he was using AIS on departure.

Keniche Horie, at 83, is a wise seaman with many thousands of ocean miles. I don't doubt his skill and wish him all the best in escaping the lee shore towards which he is likely being pushed.

Waters from Point Reyes to Pigeon Point 10-60 NM-
    235 PM PDT Sun Mar 27 2022
    GALE WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

TONIGHT
    S winds 15 to 25 kt, becoming W after midnight. Gusts
    up to 40 kt. Wind waves 9 to 10 ft. W swell 5 to 7 ft at
    14 seconds and S around 2 ft at 15 seconds. Rain, mainly this
    evening.

MON
    NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Wind waves
    3 to 4 ft. W swell 8 to 10 ft at 14 seconds. A chance of rain.

MON NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Wind
    waves 4 to 5 ft. W swell 6 to 8 ft at 12 seconds and S 2 to 4 ft
    at 14 seconds.

Name:  Keniche.png
Views: 688
Size:  396.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-27-2022 at 08:09 PM.

Horie-sama's tracker is here:

https://suntory-mermaid3.kb.ap-north...ilter-bar=true

His position is updated once per hour. Latest update at 11:52 am Japan time (GMT +9) was about 20 minutes ago. Mermaid III is making 2.8 kts at 255 degrees almost due west.

PredictWind shows the current wind at his location at 10 kts from 207 degrees. Over the next twenty four hours the wind prediction for his location is falling to 8 kts and then building to 15 knots veering to 342 degree true. With 100 nm of sea room separating Mermaid III from the California coast and the worst of the low pressure system passing well south of his position, do you wish to amend your use of the term "lee shore"?

Grace: Thank you for sharing Horie-sama's tracker. With the entire coast of North America a lee shore, I am most pleased MERMAID III has made her offing and is well on her way westward. Any further info always appreciated.

I have looked up to Kenichi Horie for many years. To me, he showcases some of the best qualities of the single handed sailor: consistent devotion to his craft, independence of thought, fearless initiative, understanding the allure and power of small and simple boats, a true waterman at one with the the ocean environment for his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I have looked up to Kenichi Horie for many years. To me, he showcases some of the best qualities of the single handed sailor: consistent devotion to his craft, independence of thought, fearless initiative, understanding the allure and power of small and simple boats, a true waterman at one with the the ocean environment for his whole life.
    +1

As the Sun now approaches a solar maximum in its 11-year solar magnetic cycle, dramatic auroras like this are more frequent, this one recently over a Swedish Village. Some imagine it to be a whale. I choose a flying fish.

Name:  Northern Lights.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  185.1 KB

In a lifetime of sailing, I've been fortunate to have seen 3 displays of Northern Lights while at sea, all very different. One in the Salish Sea continued for half an hour and looked like curtains of color. A second sailing to Bermuda lacked color but lit the sky. The most dramatic and unusual while sailing off N. Baja when the skies east turned red and orange as if a nuclear holocaust. I was to find out later many communication systems were knocked out by this dramatic solar event including some yacht coms.

If you've seen Aurora borealis or Aurora australis, especially at sea, would love to hear of the experience.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-28-2022 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    +1
    Please include me on the Salute to Kenichi list.

Bugs on boats is not a usual subject for singlehanders. Yet if you have cruised locally or internationally, you know about bugs on boats. The entire tropical Pacific has cockroaches. Mexico and the Marquesas have no-see-ums, whose bite is worse, and longer lasting, than a mosquito found in the Delta.. Alaska has meat eating flies...not a particularly pleasant subject. And I know for certain Santa Cruz harbor has termites as I was asked to help rebuild parts of a Columbia 50 that suffered termite damage.

It was unexpected to be recently called to assist the CBC Fleet Surgeon whose studio was suffering an infestation of crickets. What? Yup, black crickets about an inch long whose choral cricketing at night kept the occupant awake, and somewhat fearful of attack. She'd already caught 8 or 9 on sticky paper and there seemed to be more behind the fridge, stove, and under the sink. The mystery was how were they getting in? We searched every possibility to locate the cricket leak and so far have come up empty.

Name:  Cricket.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  3.7 KB

I always considered crickets a pleasant insect of warm summer evenings. These crickets, whose relatives remain outside, chirp on high 40, low 50 degree winter and early spring nights.

The beat goes on at CBC. Never a dull moment. Meanwhile, across town, CBC Port Captain Spruit is doing inspired dirt boat building. I venture to say his HOLOMOKU mini-skeeter will be the only dirt boat with a deck of aircraft grade spruce inlaid with koa.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-30-2022 at 03:19 PM.