Page 517 of 628 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567617 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Breezy up there! This is too much fun .

Milly's father was an astrophysicist...

The navigator of note died during the voyage which successfully continued. You've named the bright navigational star, Canopus. If you can't name the epic voyage nor its primary navigator, can you tell us the name of the navigator's boat, familiar as a name on these pages and still being sailed.

Anchor down, S. Gerstle Cove. No wind, not much viz either. Humpback broaching earlier almost fully airborne. On his giant splash, he'd slap his pecs so hard it sounded like a thunderclap.

Could this be the correct guess?

The vessel - Jeremiah O’Brian
    The navigator - Rear Admiral Thomas Patterson
    The voyage - bringing the ship back to CA.

Cheers,
    Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Could this be the correct guess? The vessel - Jeremiah O’Brian
    The navigator - Rear Admiral Thomas Patterson. The voyage - bringing the ship back to CA.
    Cheers, Ants
    Thanks, Ants, for reminding us of the JEREMIAH O'BRIEN's epic voyage to Normandy and return in 1994. What a story of determination and seamanship celebrating all who fought in the largest invasion force in human history.

And thank you to all of you who told us of your favorite voyage of exploration in answer to my trivia question of a week ago:

"The father of one of our SSS Forum's posters was navigator for the most audacious, well planned, and successful voyage of exploration ever undertaken. From Magellan to Drake, to Slocum and Stan Honey, this voyage and its navigator is their peer. There was no GPS, the charts could be many miles off, communication was tenuous, and where the voyage would end, if ever, was uncertain.

For a bowl of Macapuno, what voyage of exploration is this? Here is your hint: a primary celestial object, one of the brightest stars in the sky, was the primary guide to navigating the voyage. No, not our sun, Sirius, nor Hokeule'a. You will be closer thinking of the keel of ARGO, the mythical ship of Jason and the Argonauts in search of the Golden Fleece."

The answer to the name of the voyage can be found in this below photo. Look closely, no imagination required. The name of the navigator will be told in a future post. His boat, ex-FUN, sails to this day. Thank you for playing.

Name:  Amundsen3.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  72.3 KB

Thanks for the additional clues. For me, the clues do not complete the puzzle.

However, I know which sailboat you are referring to. It is nicely restored and sitting on a low trailer at Brickyard Cove. The sailboat reminds me of the Mair 28 I used to own. There seems to be soft spot for daggerboard boats.

Patience young grasshopper, the full answer will be revealed.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Thanks for the additional clues. For me, the clues do not complete the puzzle.

However, I know which sailboat you are referring to. It is nicely restored and sitting on a low trailer at Brickyard Cove. The sailboat reminds me of the Mair 28 I used to own. There seems to be soft spot for daggerboard boats.

Patience young grasshopper, the full answer will be revealed.

Ants
    Sorry, Ants. The Voyage navigator was an avid sailor of Central CA waters on his FUN. But she is a keel boat, sails regularly, and not berthed at Brickyard Cove. I'm sorry the attached photo has not completed the quiz for you. You deserve Macapuno for persistence.

Keep trying, dear Ants ! You are very very close !

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    Keep trying, dear Ants ! You are very very close !
    If you know the answer, you have a different perspective than I do.

The photo was identified (thanks to a little help from a friend), the name is extensively used, so the name leads to more dead ends rather a narrowed selection.

Some other broad criteria - since Canopus was critical, the notable voyage did not travel North of the 37th parallel. Since there was no GPS and included a father of an SSS forum poster, the date of the voyage was likely between 1940 and 1990.

If a sextant was used to navigate, why would Canopus be preferred over the sun. A possible clue is that sun angle was near vertical for noon sight so a star sight may have been more accurate.

Close? Yup, sure!

Where are the guesses from others?

Ants