Page 523 of 628 FirstFirst ... 23423473513519520521522523524525526527533573623 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Very cool "speed" effect Jonathan. It really did feel like we were going that fast, especially when Yacca was barreling towards us on port. Gulp!!
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Coming at ya.

Name:  MayanBBBS.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  469.2 KB

This picture of MAYAN is so cool and special, but not just for the beauty and grace. The art of sail making (fabrication/construction) is an almost dying art. There are VERY few sailmakers who actually fabricate locally the sails they design. Notably, all those sails on MAYAN were designed by one of our local sailmakers and I suspect most, if not all, were made locally. Go David H.!
    Tom P.

I just happen to be working at the Ullman loft in Santa Cruz when David and Alex did the panel layout for the gaff sail. And I happened to take some pictures...

basic shape of the sail staked out with awls and string
    Name:  gaff sail floor outline.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  102.5 KB

starting at the foot, rolling out the Dacron fabric
    Name:  gaff sail panel layout.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  113.3 KB

close-up of overlap at joining seam for camber
    Name:  gaff sail seam camber.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  45.0 KB

finished panel layout looking up from foot
    Name:  gaff sail all panel from foot.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  75.0 KB

finished panel layout looking down from the head peak
    Name:  gaff sail all panels from head.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  79.2 KB

Unfortunately, I wasn't around when Alex drew in the actual seam camber and taped the panels together before sewing. And all the rest of the finishing work....!
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Thanks for documenting the sail making maestros in action!

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I just happen to be working at the Ullman loft in Santa Cruz when David and Alex did the panel layout for the gaff sail. And I happened to take some pictures...
    Eyrie,
    THANK YOU for sharing these photos and providing a small glimpse into the art of sailmaking. I suspect very few understand the challenges around making a three dimensional shape from what is essentially a two dimensional material. For me, your photos bring back long forgotten memories of crawling around on my knees on the loft floor.

Best,
    Tom P.

Thanks, Synthia! Those are very cool photos. With the cost of real estate in coastal areas, I wonder for how much longer sail lofts, which require large spaces, will be located near the sailboats and sailbors who need them?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Though they are not in residence, it's about to get interesting at Hurricane Ian Cat 4, Ground Zero at my brother's condo, a 3 story cement building on the ocean beach at Boca Grande, FLA. They've got "hurricane windows," not sure what that means...the family car is wedged between 100 golf carts on the second floor parking lot. Boca Grande can get water coming from all sides as it's a narrow island with Charlotte Harbor to the East and the Gulf to the West.
    Brief update from my bro about their condo in Boca Grande, 10 miles north of Ground Zero "Missing some outside siding and the roof is in the front courtyard. Likely water damage inside. Many boats displaced at docks and marinas and bridges blown out. With no power, water, or phone service in the area, tough to get information or anything done."

Name:  Boca Grande.jpeg
Views: 536
Size:  83.6 KB

WOW Sled ! I know that whole area is a huge mess, but very distressful news about your bro. It is going to take a long time for this area to rebuild.

Sat/Sun 10/1-10/2

Bender/Oko Series, Day 3 and 4 at Inverness. Wind light and puffy from S to SE, even SW at times. Saturday was marine layer all day. Sunday was beautiful, clear, and warm. 6x110's negotiated puffs, lulls, and the wild card of the day: occasional clumps of floating eel grass.

Bren and Eric sailed consistently well, passing us on the last leg of each race. At one point faceplanting us with a tight cover. They bit on our first false tack, but wised up and wouldn't let us pass on the next two (false) tacks. Close racing.

The second race was a downwind spinnaker start and we built as modest lead, only to be caught by LADY BUG bringing up a puff from astern and inshore. We moved to cover, and at the last moment Bren swung LADY BUG from abeam to weather to take our stern. With the mark only 200 yards ahead, and LADY BUG now overlapped off our starboard quarter, some friendly "discussion" ensued as to proper course and windward boat keeping clear.

All in a day of close racing of 110's on the 75 degree, clear waters of Tomales Bay. Congrats to Eric and Bren winning the Bender/Oko Series on their red LADY BUG, a tough combo to beat..And congrats to Milly B on BIG PINK for finishing the 3 weekend Series in second. I would be remiss not to mention 19 year old Emma Spoorer on OREMUS almost picked off LADY BUG at the finish of Saturday's first race..

PS: In the Open Class, there were a diverse group of boats including a Hobie 20, Laser, Snipe, DaySailor, and Johnson 18 racing under the Portsmouth Handicap Rule. If you are looking for a fun place to sail with beautiful scenery and nearly zero traffic from power boats, consider Inverness Yacht Club on Tomales Bay. You might even run into Philpott wandering the waterfront....
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-03-2022 at 06:30 AM.