Page 544 of 629 FirstFirst ... 44444494534540541542543544545546547548554594 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,440 of 6290

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Sorry but DAZZLER, Daydreamer, and MillyB are all incorrect. The question remains unanswered... and Milly: you would lose the bet about the stubby winch handle not grinding winches.
    Ok, we are all over thinking this: #5 Timber (aka wood)
    Tom P.

Sighted ship same sank. Moore 24 PEGASUS being dewatered at Santa Cruz Harbor hoist.
    Name:  Pegasus.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  119.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-19-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    All my east coast 110 friends sail ice boats in the winter time. There is a huge class of the boats that they sail, called DNs. DN stands for Detroit News. There has to be a story there, but I don't know it.
    According to Daniel Hearn of Madison, Wisconsin:

"This is called a DN, which is an acronym for Detroit News. In the 1930s the Detroit News sponsored a contest for fathers and sons to design an inexpensive iceboat, and this was the design that was ultimately selected. This is made of sitka spruce. It’s wood. This boat has automotive paint on it, so it doesn’t look like wood but it is wood. We use sitka because it’s very light. We use it for its strength to weight ratio. Before they had composites, carbon fiber, fiberglass, they built airplanes out of sitka spruce."

Name:  DN on Lake Monona - Copy.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  3.15 MB

I have another 55 minutes of interview, during which he explained more about these boats. Milly, what I found so interesting about your Hull Yacht Club friends was how funny they were, and how much enjoyment they derived from sailing. Crashing a 'hard water' boat? Much different than crashing into 'soft water'. No wonder they are willing to take such risks on Tomales Bay!
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-19-2022 at 10:13 AM.

It was with sadness I heard of the passing of aging and injured big kitty P-22 who lived 10 years of wild but solitary life in Griffith Park in downtown LA. Big Kitty was euthanized on Saturday and a most touching tribute was written by National Wildlife Federation's Beth Pratt, who often called herself P-22’s agent: "Although I have advocated for his protection for a decade, we had never met before. I sat near him, looking into his eyes for a few minutes, and told him he was a good boy."

L.A. Times obituary: "P-22’s discovery in Griffith Park led to one of the most unusual elements of his life: the city taking his side, instead of demanding that he be removed."

Name:  BigKitty2.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  376.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-19-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Ok, we are all over thinking this: #5 Timber (aka wood)
    I agree with this choice.

But, I prefer 18 - buy full size anchor and put into a neighbor’s dryer on high until it shrinks.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    I agree with this choice.

But, I prefer 18 - buy full size anchor and put into a neighbor’s dryer on high until it shrinks.

Ants
    I like Ants "totally practical" solution, but Dazzler is correct: The anchor (and windlass) are painted, carved wood, 1/8th scale.
    Fortunately, online dimensions are mostly available for, in this case, a 35# CQR. The shank and "hook" were made from some 5-ply 1/8" thick ply and the flukes were carved to shape from glued-on bits of Alaskan yellow cedar. Various similar bits were used to make a reasonably realistic 2-speed hand windlass. A bowsprit mounted anchor roller still has to be fabricated.

(I did not have anything to do with the shorty winch handle)

Name:  MAGIC 35 lb CQR to scale 2.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  607.7 KB
    Name:  MAGICs new windlass 2.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  393.4 KB
    Last edited by MAGICdreamer; 12-19-2022 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added note

From NYT

Name:  677177AE-94B7-4705-836D-F32D618CDEBE.jpeg
Views: 771
Size:  1.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    I like Ants "totally practical" solution, but Dazzler is correct: The anchor (and windlass) are painted, carved wood, 1/8th scale.
    Fortunately, online dimensions are mostly available for, in this case, a 35# CQR. The shank and "hook" were made from some 5-ply 1/8" thick ply and the flukes were carved to shape from glued-on bits of Alaskan yellow cedar. Various similar bits were used to make a reasonably realistic 2-speed hand windlass. A bowsprit mounted anchor roller still has to be fabricated.
    Many decades ago, I worked with a very talented and creative architectural model builder. We used quite a variety of materials and a lot of basswood, but also took advantage of cross-over technologies from other fields. One time we needed to make a scale model PG&E transmission tower, one of those very tall tapered vertical trusses. We managed to get elevation drawings from PG&E (don’t ask how) and sent them to a company that made copper printed circuit boards. The resulting four flat copper reproductions were superglued together to make a very realistic transmission tower.

My thought was that the CQR could also be reproduced using techniques often employed by goldsmiths such as lost wax casting, but maybe in a less valuable metal.
    https://www.agacorrea.com/nautical-j...pin-large/317/
    Name:  0090.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  46.0 KB
    Last edited by Dazzler; 12-20-2022 at 11:36 PM.
    Tom P.

Default Light ground tackle

Tom: Thanks for that image. Exquisite workmanship! The model would get stolen just to get the anchor.
    As always, there remains quite a bit of room for improvement to the launchings from my little boatyard.

Onward we strive.

Craig

Happy Solstice and Yo Ho Ho. While paddling this morning on glassy seas I approached the USCG 87 footer HAWKSBILL from station Monterey. She was moored to my usual turn-around buoy, so I kept the "required distance from a military ship of 100 yards." But there were strange happenings going on aboard HAWKSBILL and from my distance it looked like a crew of Santa Clauses in red caps and red jackets with toy sacks over their shoulders running around the deck of HAWKSBILL shouting at each other.

I decided to approach a little closer to HAWKSBILL to report a "hazard to navigation": a large, awash log drifting in the vicinity. At 50 yards I just got of glimpse of the festive Santas before they descended into a hatch. As I did so I realized "Yo Ho Ho" was perhaps not the appropriate hail. All the red garments and toy sacks of the crew were actually firefighting gear and oxygen tanks.

I don't think HAWKSBILL was on fire, and would like to think this was just firefighting practice..never a dull moment on a near empty sea.

Name:  Hawksbill2.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  52.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-21-2022 at 03:07 PM.