Page 559 of 628 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561562563569609 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,590 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

A really good way to flush gophers is to find a good tunnel and put a road flare down it, then follow up with a sustained blast from a leaf blower. You will see smoke fumeroles appearing from holes 50-75' away. They don't return for quite a while.

I'm going with #4 - the masthead.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 02-06-2023 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    A really good way to flush gophers is to find a good tunnel and put a road flare down it, then follow up with a sustained blast from a leaf blower. You will see smoke fumeroles appearing from holes 50-75' away. They don't return for quite a while.
    I knew this was a creative bunch...I will only say I tried MillyB's method some years ago here at CBC and fired off an expired boat flare in a gopher hole. The fumeroles were quite festive and things were good until I realized the fire department was parking out front..

Dave Wahle's (builder of the WylieCats) method on his small farm is interesting. He sits on his deck and watches a great blue heron stalk his yard...Gophers and herons seem about evenly matched.

I'm surprised CBC Port Captain Howard has not checked in. He is building what looks like a better rat trap. It's a cigar box with a hole in it, 3 longitudinal wires, and a small, round thingee that plugs in. ????

Thanks for the guesses. As of 0600 this Monday morning, the icecream and pomegranate arils remain available. The correct answer is the rat was not in a cockpit thru-hull, nor in a bino case, or under the anchor chain.. I think that leaves 4 answers possible. I know it's tough, and to help there is a hint in this post.

Sorry I won't be standing by for the award until later today. I'm off to SJ State to meet a noted marine archeologist with an X-Ray gun that apparently can age date items from 16th century ships. Do I really have a lead sheath from GOLDEN HIND or SAN AGUSTIN. Not likely say the pros...but what about the Ming porcelain shards found nearby? Time may tell. Guess again, even if you've guessed already.. Captain Bob? DOLFIN? Captain Bob had a bull loose on his ship...rat traps have size limitations.

PS While writing this I see Captain HedgeHog just checked in with the correct answer, #4. Congrats Good Sir! Have a good ferry ride this morning. Your ice cream will be waiting. Now about that cigar box.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-06-2023 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    PS While writing this I see Captain HedgeHog just checked in with the correct answer, #4. Congrats Good Sir! Have a good ferry ride this morning. Your ice cream will be waiting. Now about that cigar box.
    for those extra compulsive readers, there is an oblique reference in post #5556...

I will check with the very creative Exploratorium engineering team about the mouse trap.
    There's probably something in the archives...

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Does DOLFIN carry the A24 at Hammer and Nails?
    Never heard of it so I looked on the Ace website. Now I know why we don't carry it because at $179 the A24 would be the most expensive item in our store. Most customers don't really care about the feelings of the rats and mice infesting their environs and the basic snap trap at 1% of the price seems their favorite. I personally think Synthia's trap is much better but that's just me.

DolfinBill
    Crealock 37

The dog referred to a 3 string mouse trap
    it looks more like a mouse house to me!

Name:  IMG_0981.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  70.2 KB

That is gorgeous, Howard !!!

Jim DeWitt's Celebration of Life yesterday at Richmond Yacht Club was a wonderful affair. A SRO crowd heard from family, friends, shipmates. Most notable was Jimmy's wife of 50 years, Sallie, recalling all the many things Jim accomplished in his remarkable 92 years. His battle with dyslexia, his prowess as a swimmer.. Said Sallie, "there were three outstanding painters of boats under sail in the history of art: Claude Monet, Winslow Homer, and Jim Dewitt.

"Name:  JimDeWitt.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  580.3 KB

The afternoon was filled with sea stories, some told from the podium microphone, others shared amongst friends and shipmates. This one was from the podium: Jimmy had designed an ultralight racer named SANDPIPER, 35 feet LOA. Jim and partners decided to race SANDPIPER in the '71 Transpac and delivered the boat to S.Cal in time for the July 4th start.

On the way motoring to the start line SANDPIPER's navigator attempted to swing the two compasses. The port one ended up reading 15 degrees different than its starboard side mate Which one was accurate, no one knew. At the only mark, the West End of Catalina, as was traditional aboard ultra lights to save weight, the crew took showers and emptied all but one water tank. Unfortunately, there was a miscalculation, and after showers, less than 20 gallons remained to drink and hydrate their freeze dried food.

On day 6, in the remnants of hurricane Denise, the wind died and all but Class A were trapped for two days by doldrums in Denise's wake. With her short rig, SANDPIPER made only 60 miles/day before the wind filled on Day 9, and the race continued..SANDPIPER's crew growing hungrier and thirstier

Finally, on Day 13. they sighted Hawaii and steered for the finish. Due to the compass error, they were steering SANDPIPER for the wrong island, Maui not Oahu. Someone put batteries in the RDF and homed in on a Honolulu radio station, finding the finish was 90 degrees to starboard. Whoops!

After finishing off Diamond Head just after sunrise, SANDPIPER was motoring into Ala Wai harbor when her engine ran out of gas and died with breaking waves on either side of the narrow entrance channel. Fortunately SANDPIPER's thirsty crew got towed in...that was 52 years ago, and we all still had a lot to learn. The boat I was on, 73 foot ketch WINDWARD PASSAGE, although breaking the elapsed time record and winning the Barn Door, Class and Overall, suffered a mid-race crew mutiny that almost resulted in helmsman Tom Blackaller being gagged and tied up below..but that is another story.

Speaking of another Jim DeWitt sea story, a loyal member of our SSS Forum was once pitched off a J-24 while running hard down SF Bay under spinnaker. Our Forum member ended up under the boat, pressed against the rudder, still trimming the spinnaker sheet while under water. What happened is his story, not mine.

Can anyone tell us how Jim DeWitt ingeniously added a large roach and extra sail area to his Snipe one design class main?

Jim was inventive and welcoming to all, whether he knew them or not. Thanks Jim for the lessons, memories, and print of IMP.

Name:  IMPDewitt.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  10.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-12-2023 at 05:59 PM.

I worked for Jimmy DeWitt in the early '70s with many other " wharf rats" who remained in the Marine Trades- whether sailmaking or otherwise. Jim was a kind man who took a chance on me as an employee when I was quite young, as he did with many others. I was already sailing with Jocelyn Nash and Lee Conn, and racing my 110 in SYRA, but my sewing skills were not that great.

North Island of New Zealand is currently getting pummeled with heavy rain and wind from Cyclone Gabrielle passing down the east coast hitting Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula. Flights canceled, bridges and roads closed, power outages, and flooding with winds 65-70 knots and higher gusts being reported.

Ironically, next door neighbors to CBC are in New Zealand cruising their 47 foot, Paul Whiting design sloop CHEYENNE. Currently anchored in Wairahi Bay, Port Fitzroy, on Great Barrier Island, they had a rough night last night even though their position is landlocked. Their baro is currently a record low 28.8 inches/975 mb with south wind steady 45 kts with higher gusts. They are in 20 feet of water, 180 feet of chain rode, good holding with mud bottom as the center of Gabrielle passes near and just east of their position.

All three aboard CHEYENNE, Alan Blunt, Pitter and Dave Fox are highly experienced and competent sailors. To hear them report a "rough night" would be an understatement. Hang on, Team!

CHEYENNE's posit on Google Earth is 36 degrees, 12.55 minutes south x 175 degrees, 20.32 minutes east.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/explai...EWKTQ5A6QUXTY/
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-12-2023 at 10:32 PM.