Page 568 of 629 FirstFirst ... 68468518558564565566567568569570571572578618 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,680 of 6290

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Number Ten. I like macapuno also.

Ants
    Sorry Ants. In 2012 the skipper of BELA BARTOK was rescued from his boat due to a medical emergency. Under self steering, BB continued sailing on course with her transponder running but no one aboard. Fellow competitors Ronnie and Reuben borrowed a powerboat, and when BELA BARTOK approached, they transferred aboard and she was safely sailed into port by the above crew. Guess again tomorrow morning please.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2023 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I guess #24.
    When the correct answer is determined; could you Paul Harvey all of these by adding a line for the rest of the story?
    Sorry INTERMISSION. In 1975 when I built WILDFLOWER and sailed her in the 1978 SHTP, I was running on a shoestring. No engine, no electrics or instruments but a sextant, and unable to afford proper rope. My good friend Alexis Monson was working at Tail-of-the-Yak import store in Berkeley at the time and supplied WILDFLOWER with much yak hair rope that bound all their shipments from Nepal. I washed out the dung, and used the yak hair rope for my working sheets, including jib sheets. It was organic and plenty strong, but hard on the hands and shed yak hair all over the cockpit. Please guess again after 24 hours.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    No. 6, Halfway Barge rescue
    Hi Jonathan, In 1956, at halfway on the Great Circle between SF and Honolulu, Pan Am Flight #6 lost two engines and had to ditch in the vicinity of Ocean Station November, the 255' Coast Guard Cutter PONTCHARTRAIN. The Admiral's Barge was launched, and as Capt. Ogg brought the plane down to land, there was a mighty splash as the plane's tail broke off. In the minutes before the plane sank, the crew and passengers were all safely rescued. It's a great story! And DAZZLER's father, a pilot for Pan Am of a sistership, had peripheral involvement. Please guess again.

Name:  pan Am1.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  7.0 KB

Name:  Pan Am2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  11.5 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMk8z3h2QC8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_6
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Twenty -three. A new day and a new selection. I believe the Sabot sailor was in the initial Singlehanded Farralons race.

Ants

Today I will guess #17.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Twenty -three. A new day and a new selection. I believe the Sabot sailor was in the initial Singlehanded Farralons race.Ants
    Good memory, Ants! However, not the correct answer. Read the challenge closely...And try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Today I will guess #17.
    When I first went below to inspect this SHTP competitor, the cabin was toasty warm with bread baking in a wood burning stove. I was both amused and curious. "Are you going to bake your way across the Pacific?" I asked. "Of course," was the answer.. "I have plenty of wood." With that, the skipper lifted every bunk lid and showed me neatly stacked firewood fore and aft...Unbelievable but true. I did say the SHTP has always had an attraction for bug lighters.. Guess again Good Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    When I first went below to inspect this SHTP competitor, the cabin was toasty warm with bread baking in a wood burning stove. I was both amused and curious. "Are you going to bake your way across the Pacific?" I asked. "Of course," was the answer.. "I have plenty of wood." With that, the skipper lifted every bunk lid and showed me neatly stacked firewood fore and aft...Unbelievable but true. I did say the SHTP has always had an attraction for bug lighters.. Guess again Good Sir.
    Sled, I don't remember any giant squid story from you, so will guess #8?
    Capt Bob

My guess is number 2

It's not 4. I did that. I didn't have radar or AIS, so as it rose from the horizon I thought it was a ship. I called a few times, until I realized the altitude was too high to be a ship. La dee da.
    Last edited by Eyrie; 04-03-2023 at 12:47 PM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image