Page 569 of 631 FirstFirst ... 69469519559565566567568569570571572573579619 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,690 of 6305

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    My guess is number 2
    Sorry, Howard. Shortly after the start of the 2006 SHTP, a Swan 51 with a fouled jib sheet port tacked the North Tower of the Golden Gate. Despite SEABIRD being a big, powerful boat, she was no match for the for the 44,000 ton, 746 foot tower, and motored in reverse to get clear. SEABIRD then motored 3 miles back to the Corinthian Yacht Club, restarted, and resumed the race. Good thinking

Name:  Seabird.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  53.6 KB

Guess again, my friend.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-03-2023 at 01:58 PM.

I have served with several race committees on the lovely island of Kauai, and twice with the delightful Venusian-seeking Eyrie (still Eyrie, I'm pleased to see). I don't believe any SSS RC member would disqualify a sailor for too small an anchor upon arrival after he/she sailed across that ocean. I don't care what the rules were. This is the RC that sent its racers into the eye of the pandemic.

Authorities: "You need to cancel your race"
    RC Chair: "Sorry, they've already left"
    Authorities: "We insist upon inspecting them upon arrival. Give us their arrival times."
    RC Chair: "Sure. C'mon down at ... um ... 0230 next Thursday. We'll meet you out there. After that ... um ... this is a guestimate, of course ... maybe 1345 on Sunday ... you DO work Sundays, don't you?"

So I vote for #6.

Is Highway One open again? I want macapuno! It's just wrong to continue being macapuno-less!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It's not 4. I did that. I didn't have radar or AIS, so as it rose from the horizon I thought it was a ship. I called a few times, until I realized the altitude was too high to be a ship. La dee da.
    Synbad is not the only one to attempt to radio the planet Venus. Others, including Tiger Beetle, have as well. As for myself, I once attempted to call the Man on the Moon when the ascending tips of a waning, crescent moon resembled the approaching steaming lights of a large ship on collision course.

I have yet to hear of anyone else seeing the lights of a passenger train close above the western horizon when halfway between New Zealand and Hawaii. I was sure I was not hallucinating, and even drew the apparition in WILDFLOWER's Log, using a black felt tip pen, White Out, and Glow-In-The-Dark paint. Come for Macapuno and I will show you what proved to be the horizontal fragments of a Bolide meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    So I vote for #6. Is Highway One open again? I want macapuno! It's just wrong to continue being macapuno-less!
    Yes, Highway 1 is open. I just drove past the Castroville Giant Artichoke enroute to LAYC to deliver the Koa Canoe to their Cal-40 history room.

Name:  CanoeLAYC.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  938.7 KB

You are nothing if not persistent for Macapuno. However, if you read closely, Jonathan voted previously for #6 and I explained in post #5673 how the halfway barge rescued the passengers and crew who ditched their Strato-Cruiser alongside. Complete with photos of the giant splash, the tail breaking off, and the CG barge successfully retrieving personnel.

So guess again if you dare. Someone is gonna hit on the correct answer sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-03-2023 at 03:14 PM.

I don't believe any SSS RC member would disqualify a sailor for too small an anchor upon arrival after he/she sailed across that ocean. I don't care what the rules were.
    A finisher was disqualified pre-1992 (I believe) by Peter Hogg for arriving in Halanei Bay and, upon boarding by RC, was asked by RC for the anchor so they could help, and a 4" long beer-can-opening keychain anchor was presented. That boat was DSQ.

Wait a minute!!! That stinker Rob. My typo jogged his memory. My guess was #16 , NOT #6. I want to file a protest. My red flag is aboard DM, but I would fly it if I could.

Wait a minute!!! That stinker Rob. My typo jogged his memory. My guess was #16 , NOT #6. I want to file a protest. My red flag is aboard DM, but I would fly it if I could.
    No worries about protest. CBC's protest committee is a parrot, a cat, a hummingbird, and a frog. Besides, neither #6 nor #16 is correct. You're pissing in the wind, so to speak. Currently gusting 28 here at Bay Side.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    No worries about protest. CBC's protest committee is a parrot, a cat, a hummingbird, and a frog. Besides, neither #6 nor #16 is correct. You're pissing in the wind, so to speak. Currently gusting 28 here at Bay Side.
    Skip - near as I can recall, every single event you describe has indeed occurred on the SHTP.

Which item did NOT happen on the race course but instead on a different portion of the Pacific?

- rob/beete

#24. — I’m waiting to hear the story of those yak fur jib sheets (#24). Who’d a thought? And WHY?

I understand yak wool actually make nice sweaters.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 04-03-2023 at 06:19 PM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    #24. — I’m waiting to hear the story of those yak fur jib sheets (#24). Who’d a thought? And WHY? I understand yak wool actually make nice sweaters.
    Hi Dazzler, Sorry, but INTERMISSION already guessed #24. Why it is not the correct answer is described above in post 5672 on page 568. You are entitled to guess again.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-03-2023 at 07:05 PM.