Page 587 of 631 FirstFirst ... 87487537577583584585586587588589590591597 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,870 of 6305

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Pt. Reyes Station, pop. 848, is only about 3 blocks square, and sits atop the San Andreas Fault. Everyday, for all to hear, at noon atop the Western Saloon, a rooster crows and a cow moos. Last Sunday when the rooster cock-a-doodle-dooed and the cow bellowed, Pt. Reyes came alive with its annual Western Days Parade.

Name:  WesternFDays1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  1.69 MB

Providentially, I was invited to sit on the judges platform: the back of a flatbead truck. Bribery of the judges seemed de rigueur. I saw wine, ice cream, flowers, chocolate, cookies, and olive oil change hands in attempts to influence judging. The parade was also being announced live as well as on the radio, both in English and Spanish.

Name:  Western Days Dance.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  1.37 MB

The pipe and drum band was very cool, piping "My Bonnie Lassie" for the judges.

And who was next but local icon Jack Elliot. Ramblin' Jack is a legendary storyteller, musician, and cowboy. But his secret love is being a schoonerman. Aren't we all?

Name:  Western Days Jack.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  1.25 MB

All in all, a fun afternoon on the sunny streets of PRS.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-06-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Milly has it figured how to sail a 110 keel boat in that mud and get it to the dock.

She gets her PINK on a plane, and on the count of 3, she and her crew hike to leeward, tipping the boat on its side. PINK enters the mud sliding on her topsides, and momentum carries her to the dock pretty as you please, where they step ashore without getting muddy.[/QUOTE]

We aren't called " Club Mud" for no reason. Jackie- you will be fine !

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Pt. Reyes Station, pop. 848, is only about 3 blocks square, and sits atop the San Andreas Fault. Everyday, for all to hear, at noon atop the Western Saloon, a rooster crows and a cow moos. Last Sunday when the rooster cock-a-doodle-dooed and the cow bellowed, Pt. Reyes came alive with its annual Western Days Parade
    Providentially, I was invited to sit on the judges platform: the back of a flatbead truck. Bribery of the judges seemed de rigueur. I saw wine, ice cream, flowers, chocolate, cookies, and olive oil change hands in attempts to influence judging. The parade was also being announced live as well as on the radio, both in English and Spanish.
    The pipe and drum band was very cool, piping "My Bonnie Lassie" for the judges.d who was next but local icon Jack Elliot. Ramblin' Jack is a legendary storyteller, musician, and cowboy. But his secret love is being a schoonerman. Aren't we all?in all, a fun afternoon on the sunny streets of PRS.
    Some of our bribes can be seen in one of the pictures- tangerines, mead, and cookies . It was SO FUN to have you on the platform with us !
    Last edited by MillyB; 06-07-2023 at 08:26 PM.

The Empress Hotel docks at Victoria Harbor will be abuzz today, with the R2AK shoving off at noon for points north. Doggies. 5 entries are pre-approved for the outside Vancouver Island route, which was the winning call last year. Given weather forecasts, I doubt any will choose to do so this year, as it looks like a hate mission: 20-30 nose on the wind. Our hometown team has already picked their choice. "we're going inside for the scenery!"

Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
    Gale warning in effect.
    Wind west 20 to 30 knots diminishing to west 15 to 20 early this
    morning then increasing to west 25 this afternoon. Wind increasing
    to west 25 to 35 early this evening then becoming west 25 overnight.

https://r2ak2023.maprogress.com/

The morning's marine layer over Santa Cruz has dissipated..What a concept given the prevalence of gloominess, even rain, the last few weeks. Launching the kayak has been a challenge recently. The mornings' minus tides make the dinghy ramp extra steep ("on rappel") and the barking sealions have taken over the bottom dockage. Sleddog barks back, and they give me "room at the mark." Other paddlers have retreated for the duration. Arf, Arf, Arf.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-08-2023 at 06:34 AM.

3 tris, including RUF DUCK, MOJO, and PESTOU are leading R2AK exiting Active Pass into the Salish Sea. Good progress for them. PESTOU is being sailed solo by Eric, a iron man if there is one. Can he go all night? The tri TRES AMIGOS with the pro crew broke their rudder cassette and have put into Roche harbor for repairs.
    Name:  Tres Equis.png
Views: 363
Size:  554.5 KB

Nobody chose to go outside Vancouver Island. Here's a photo of Eric on PESTOU, a Corsair F-24 Mk2. If there's a singlehander in the R2Ak to get behind, Eric is eminently worthy.

Name:  PESTOU.png
Views: 356
Size:  874.6 KB

https://r2ak.com/2023-teams-full-race/team-pestou-3/
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-08-2023 at 06:52 PM.

[QUOTE=sleddog;33301]3 tris, including RUF DUCK, MOJO, and PESTOU are leading R2AK exiting Active Pass into the Salish Sea. Good progress for them. PESTOU is being sailed solo by Eric, a iron man if there is one. Can he go all night? The tri TRES AMIGOS with the pro crew broke their rudder cassette and have put into Roche harbor for repairs
    Nobody chose to go outside Vancouver Island. Here's a photo of Eric on PESTOU, a Corsair F-24 Mk2. If there's a singlehander in the R2Ak to get behind, Eric is eminently worthy
    I love this race ! Nathalie Crou made me aware of it a few years ago .I am following Tanguy and now Eric. It looks knarly on the outside track .Thanks Sled !

RUF DUCK, MOJO, and PESTOU continue duking it out in close quarters. spinnakering northwest in a 10 knot SE breeze, clicking off 10-14 knots SOG. RUF DUCK is 4 feet longer than MOJO, who is 2 feet longer than PESTOU. But their speeds are nearly the same in the gathering darkness. All 3 tris have kickup rudders, but not daggerboards. So if they run over a log and break their daggerboard, that will likely be the end of the race for them. That increases the pucker factor for the crews, although their daggerboards are currently pulled up flush as they fly downwind.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-08-2023 at 09:45 PM.

The breeze went light and forward overnight, allowing boats in the rear guard to move up. Brake4Whales with their efficient pedal drive, made up the most and is now leading in a close race with Mojo, Tres Equis, Pestou, and Ruf Duck all within a mile of each other and sailing at 4-5 knots BS in 5-8 knots of NW wind. This is a critical part of the Race2AK as arriving at the tide gate at Seymour Narrows, 30 miles ahead, at opportune time means you either pass through, or get held up for hours. The breeze looks to stay light for the rest of today, 5 knots or less, meaning those boats with efficient manual power like Brake4Whales pedal drive will extend their lead.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-09-2023 at 03:50 PM.

At 4 pm, the van of the R2AK fleet is entering Discovery Passage, grouped together. Led my RUF DUCK, just a mile astern is TRES EQUIS, BRAKE4WHALES, MOJO, and PESTO. They should all be able to make 10 miles to Seymour Narrows before the flood tide gets too strong to make headway. But after their transit, the tide gate will close with 8 knots of adverse current.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 15-58-10 Race to Alaska 2023 - MAProgress.png
Views: 304
Size:  405.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-09-2023 at 04:01 PM.

Screech! The tide gate at Seymour Narrrows slammed closed before any of the R2AK race leaders were able to get through the building flood of 8 knots. So there will be a restart tonight at 10 pm when the current goes slack and everyone in line waiting can hopefully get through in the building ebb.

Biggest to benefit is solo sailor Eric on PESTOU who has tied up at Campbell River marina for a shower, meal, and nap. Campbell River is a fair sized town 7 miles south of Seymour Narrows.

This pause in the race for tidal change at Seymour Narrows is not unexpected. One year an enterprising R2AK kayaker had his bike and trailer ready, and peddled his boat around Seymour Narrows on Highway 19, perfectly legal.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-10-2023 at 07:07 AM.