Page 97 of 628 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197597 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Do remember the IOR rule?
    Well, I always thought that Mr. Mull was deeply involved making and maintenance of that "PRANK!"

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    Do remember the IOR rule?
    Well, I always thought that Mr. Mull was deeply involved making and maintenance of that "PRANK!"
    At one point in the late 1970s, I believe, Mull was acting head of the IOR's technical committee. But he didn't formulate the IOR. The rule was initiated by yacht designer Dick Carter, who developed it in partnership with yacht designer Olin Stephens.

But like you, I'm skeptical about one particular "Floating Island"!

A 2 hour tow up Hwy.17 and 880 early Saturday delivered WILDFLOWER from the Capitola driveway to the Berkeley Marina hoist. Except for an overhanging tree partially blocking access, mast step and relaunch was successfully completed by 10 a.m. Cheryl, at the Harbor Office, made things easy to register for a 25 foot slip, of which five were available. Thank you, Berkeley! My sour taste of Brickyard Cove Marina denying WILDFLOWER admittance because "the owner doesn't like catamarans," was mollified.

After lunch we sailed northward from Berkeley in pursuit of Round the Rockers. Though the NWS had forecast 5 knot breezes, we found 20-22 knots of wind against ebb. A double reef main was plenty, and I should have gone for the new triple reef.

By the Richmond breakwater, things had mellowed, and we began to encounter SSS racers in southward procession from Red Rock towards the RYC finish. Everyone we passed looked good, close reaching in Chamber of Commerce weather: sun, smooth seas, and 14 knots of wind.

After, many Round the Rockers took advantage of friendly welcome to the Richmond Yacht Club. In fact, I went to check in with JD, the Harbor Master. I didn't have to say anything. He looked up from his counter, smiled, and said "Welcome to Richmond Yacht Club. Make yourself at home." What a concept. If only other sailing clubs were as welcoming to the diverse fleet that is SSS.

On the RYC deck, it was a gathering of the Tribe: RAGTIME, DIANNE, KYNNTANA, INISCAW, NIGHTMARE (welcome, Greg!), EYRIE, DURA MATER, NOZOMI, STINK EYE, DOMINO, TRI-N-FLY, SPARROWHAWK, LIGHTSPEED, SUMMERTIME DREAM, and many others whose names I have forgotten.

Thanks to the RC, and the SSS Commodore, who was on the RYC deck hawking T-shirts to support your next event.

Congrats also to Daniel on JETSPEED for his Single-Handed overall win, just nudging out SUMMERTIME DREAM. For those who don't know, Carl Schumacher's 1979 1/4 ton design SUMMERTIME DREAM was a winner from the get go, and helped to establish Carl as one of the preeminent designers of our generation.

Today, under Scott Owen's hand, SUMMERTIME DREAM continues to be a winner in all respects: pretty, fast, well sailed and maintained, good rating, and plenty of soul. She'll be a threat in any SSS Race entered.

And we keep moving ever
    Onward
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-19-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Autopilots are tricky things. I had first hand reports of at least 4 that did not get as far as Alcatraz, the first mark on Saturday, before dying.

For singlehanders, AP's are a vital piece of boat equipment. But reliability is not a given, no matter if yours is the expensive spread, or toy $500 model. Which is why the General carries 9 spares.

If you only carry one spare, and your primary AP fails, which it will, then you no longer have a backup.

It is of serious concern to me that tiller pilot manufacturers like Raymarine do not include any means to physically attach a tiller pilot to the boat. No lanyard, no secure point on the tiller pilot to attach a lanyard. I've seen more than one tiller pilot dragging astern by its power cord. Deficient design.

Below decks AP's are, of course, less vulnerable to the elements. The problem is if they are semi-permanently connected to the rudder shaft, even when turned off, there is drag on the steering system, making things less sensitive when hand steering.

Auto pilots are like windshield wipers and refrigerators. You miss them when they stop working.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.

But mine is a SmartPilot. It says so right on it!

And the reason the drives aren't physically attached to the boat is so you can throw them overboard more easily.

My defective pilot is pretty smart, too. Whenever it gives me some new error code and won't stay in auto mode, I just push enough buttons until it gives up and starts working again. So a new AP is now on its way, which I hope to install in time for the Farallones race!

It's coming on that time of year as High Pressure builds offshore. Currently Storm Warnings in Gale Alley, off Mendocino Coast, for "N winds 35 to 40 kt. Gusts to 50 kt this morning. Waves N 22 ft.".

Further south, offshore Central CA and Big Sur, gale warnings have been forecast.

The shore support team is impressive. But I find curious the weather and routing wisdom of setting off this past Monday from SF to break rowing records to Hawaii and across the Pacific, with four on a boat designed for two. Carbon oars and fleece lined rowing seats will only get so far. The intention to "get as far west as fast as possible" may likely meet reality. I wish the crew of DORIS good luck. http://coxlesscrew.com/where-is-doris/
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-22-2015 at 06:37 AM.

On a recent weekday we sailed WILDFLOWER from Berkeley Marina 33 miles across the western side of San Pablo Bay and up the Petaluma River. It seemed a voyage back in time, as we saw only one commercial ship in San Pablo Bay, and no other traffic in the River, a benefit of off-season cruising.

San Pablo Bay, about 8 feet deep, was the muddy color of PG Tips English Tea. We had a fast sail North, with 20 knots of SW wind at our stern, and entered the pastoral River at low tide. Navigation was straight forward through the many twists and turns, and at several points the River seemed to disappear into the fields ahead, only to have a channel open up as we approached.

The was much bird life, including ospreys and their large ragtag nests. One osprey flew overhead carrying a fresh fish in its underbelly bomb bay. The fish was being carried horizontally, head forward, and was likely not appreciating the view while wondering what had just happened when he was unceremoniously snatched from his home waters.

After 6 hours we arrived at the Inner Town Basin of Petaluma. Despite three confirmation calls, the D Street Drawbridge tender didn't show, and we anchored just downstream of the Bridge to await opening. After 30 minutes, he appeared. The bells rang, horn tooted, crossing arms lowered, and bridge raised. Once inside the Inner Basin we tied up to the empty Southern Docks and were issued a paper warning to not leave coolers in the cockpit, as "rowdy kids had been known to board at night and steal alcohol." I'd been warned of bears in Yosemite. But this was a first.

The night was pleasant and cool, mostly quiet except for something that sounded like it was trying to eat the boat. I guessed it was the sound of wavelets lapping against the vertical transoms. But who knows.

Petaluma was originally named "Chickaluma" as in the "World's Egg Capitol." Even Petaluma Yacht Club's burgee had a chick emerging from an egg. Saturday was scheduled to be the historic "Egg and Butter Days" festival, complete with parade. I wondered what Captain and Mrs. Resech, and Peter Gambetta would have thought. They skippered the historic scow schooner ALMA up the Petaluma River continuously from 1926 to 1957, carrying 125 tons of oyster shell they had dredged from the Bay bottom on each trip. The oyster shell would then be ground up in Chickaluma for chicken feed.

The next morning the bridge tender again missed his appointment, and we idled for 40 minutes, drinking coffee and eating fresh pastry, while jilling about in the pond sized basin.

Eventually the bridge lifted and we proceeded downriver with a 2 knot ebb pushing us along. 15 miles later we again entered San Pablo Bay to find the forecast wind of 5-15 knots seemed in error. We had 20, gusting 25, from the NW. A double reefed main and 20 square feet of jib rolled out was plenty to maintain 7 knots and level flight. Near China Camp the breeze increased, with gusts to 30, and we took off on a beam reach for the Richmond Bridge.

Once through the Richmond Bridge we encountered an orange, San Francisco Pilot Boat seemingly out of control. It was doing all sorts of high speed manuveurs and circles, and twice approached close enough to give a good dose of wake. I could see a person steering, but couldn't tell if it was the Captain's three year old son.

Past Brooks Island, the wind again quickly built to 25-30, and we broad reached across "the Slot" to the Berkeley breakwater, averaging 10 knots, with several bursts to 13.

Chickaluma. I probably wouldn't go there on a busy summer weekend. But it was a fine adventure of moderate proportions.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-25-2015 at 09:49 PM.

The last time I was in Petaluma a poor soul had arrived too late for a D street bridge lift. He was in a trawler of some sort. he decided to tie up to some pilings just downriver from the bridge and await the morning. Unfortunately he did not assess the tide vs depth vs mooring approach and was grounded on a steeply sloping river bank heeling toward the river center. As the tide came up he had no buoyancy and the boat flooded. There were some authorities present but it looked like they just did not have the gear to float him in time.

The other thing I noted was that darn river gets narrow and shallow at low tide, especially the last mile or so before the bridge.

Onece you are in the basin it is a lovely place.

This morning, fog is racing into Monterey Bay in advance of a "Southerly Surge" making its way northward up the Big Sur Coast at 15 knots.

A "Southerly Surge" is a reversal of predominant coastal northwest winds. A "Southerly Surge" of coastal low clouds and fog (stratus) can extend out to 60 miles offshore the Central California Coast, and is a common weather event from May through August, happening about 25% of the time.

If you start a race to Hawaii, LongPac, HMB, or Windjammers during a Southerly Surge, the wind is likely to be light and from the south. Drifting, and light airs predominate and, for the longer races, port tack heading offshore towards the "transition" zone is the name of the game.

The "transition" extends from 60-100 miles offshore. West of the transition you meet the usual gradient wind, northwest, often up to gale force. The boats first through the transition will open up large leads on the rest of the fleet. If you are sailing through a Southerly Surge event (they usually last 2-3 days and can be seen approaching on satellite), its time to get into light air mode. A one mile advantage near the Farallones can multiply 100 fold.

Satellite view of Southerly Surge advancing today (May 1) http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/lo...ype=vis&size=1

Southerly Surges often occur at the end of a heat wave/offshore wind event in Central California. This weekend, a major cool down of 20 or more degrees will take effect as the Southerly Surge envelopes the Bay Area. As south winds along the coast enter SF Bay over the coastal mountains, they are topographically shifted into the southwest, even west near the Golden Gate.

"Southerly Surge." A good description can be found here: http://tornado.sfsu.edu/Geosciences/...rge/index.html
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-01-2015 at 12:38 PM.