Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSS 2011 - a preview

Default SSS 2011 - a preview

Your commodore here. The new SSS board met Wednesday night, kicked around a lot of interesting ideas, and even settled on a few of them. Here is a brief overview of what to look for, and what changes to expect, in 2011:

1. The race calendar is set and is similar to last year's, with the obvious exception that the LongPac replaces the TransPac. We kick off with the Three Bridge Fiasco on Jan. 29, and Matt will be posting the full calendar soon.

2. Membership fees are unchanged: $135 basic, $160 if SSS is your club of record for YRA racing. Single-race entry fees are being rolled back to the 2009 level: $45 singlehanded and $60 doublehanded to pay for the extra shirt.

3. The Wyliecat 30s are back in PHRF class E.

4. The PHRF class splits are going to change a bit. And we're going to experiment with a 198+ class to see if it draws a few more older small boats. The two slowest PHRF groups will start together, and they'll be scored together in any race where they don't both have viable numbers.

5. Monterey Bay PHRF certificates will no longer be accepted; too often the ratings differ from NCPHRF. On the other hand, we won't require certs for true one-design classes such as the Moore 24s.

6. Season scoring will be done with a slight variation of the Low Point System, replacing the former abstruse calculations that were weighted by the size of the entry. To get around the fact that 40th place in the Three Bridge Fiasco is a brilliant result while 40th to Half Moon Bay sucks, only SSS members will receive season points.

7. Race Committee credit in the season points is out. But we still want you to volunteer for RC. What could be a bigger draw than points? $$$ naturally! RC workers will get a free dinner at Half Moon Bay or Vallejo (even if they worked another race), or a discount on next year's membership, or maybe free drinks at OYC. We're still working out the details.

8. Lifelines on ocean races must now meet the ISAF Offshore Special Regs (well, maybe we'll allow vinyl coating). BUT: we're waiving the lifeline requirement on boats under 30'. This is what OYRA is doing for 2011, and the SSS board agrees to follow suit. Remember, you still have to have jacklines rigged, and we trust you to be smart about clipping on. Don't let us down.

I said I'd be brief, so I'd better stop here. Questions and comments welcome.

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 11-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Default 2011 SSS Calendar

I have updated our calendar link with the Tentative SSS 2011 Calendar of Events. It's not yet finalized and does not yet include the dates of other shorthanded races.

http://sfbaysss.org/calendar-new.html

The Long Pac currently starts 3 days after the EYC Coastal Cup finishes (http://www.encinal.org/pageResource/...coastalCup.php). Any chance it could be pushed out a bit, maybe into July ?

Quote Originally Posted by pierke View Post
    The Long Pac currently starts 3 days after the EYC Coastal Cup finishes. Any chance it could be pushed out a bit, maybe into July ?
    It's late in the game to be changing race dates, but we're looking into it.

As I recall it also overlapped OYRA's Duxship (unless that one got changed). LongPac is several days so it's hard to get a clear window.

Not much feedback Max. You should have posted about the dancing girls and free hull waxes.

Default Sss 2011

Very excited about the upcoming SSS season! Now what is this I am hearing about dancing girls and free hull waxes? TBF is right around the corner...hoping to finish this year

Adam

Yeah, Max is holding out on you - he plans an SSS equivalent of T mark in the Plastic Classic. Synthia is working on something similar for the lady skippers.

But I made up the part about the free hull waxes.

Oh... so THAT is what Synthia was calling me about last night....
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default refer item 5 in opening post

So Express 27's are a recognised one design class and will not need phrf certs for 2011? SDK

Could someone post the preliminary 2011 OYRA race dates, or point us to a website that has them ? thanks