Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 SH TransPac

Jim,

Just catching up and saw the post about your accident. Very glad you're OK (sorta) and very sorry you won't be making the trip with us in 2012. With the extra weight you're adding I might have stood a chance against you (yeah right). You will enjoy the refrigeration, I know I do. Much more civilized, not at all like camping out. The water maker will be nice too in much of the world. With all the new power draws, you will have to add a genset. Then if you're going to do that you might as well do like Ruben and just get a 45 footer....... Smile.......

Get well soon my friend.

John
    Dream Chaser

Hey Jim/Haulback - Mark here, net slut, ex-Pegasus/Hilo aught 5 - sorry to read about you getting banged up and hope you heal quickly. India - cool! I rode a motorcycle in Saudi Arabia for a year - a BSA single - and you have to be a little fatalistic, which probably goes without saying here.

To the other good folks, I'm brand new on your site but have some extended time offshore alone and am thinking about the 2012 TransPac. Could someone direct me to the most current application form (2010?), experience requirements, rules, equipment requirements, etc., so I can start doing some figuring and planning?

Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome!

AJ Goldman, the newly-installed Race Chairman for the 2012 SH TransPac, is currently out of town and hasn't (to my knowledge) started on the rules update. However here's the main document from 2010's race:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa...Conditions.pdf

Changes are likely to be minor since we did a major rewrite last time (but you never know). If I was revising it again I'd probably take out the rigging inspection, require either a strobe or masthead tricolor and allow all-fiber lifelines. I might put the electrical budget back in. This is based on feedback I received after co-chairing the 2010 race. But any changes will be AJ's call (with input from the SSS Rules Committee).

I suspect we won't see the 2012 RR&C's until after LongPac in July, since AJ is chairing that race too. I'm sure we'll know more after he gets back.

Hi Mark,

I am currently in Ivalo, Finland, 68.23 degrees north! 300km above the arctic circle. Not much sailing right now, but lots of reindeer and awesome northern lights!

Drop me an email and I'll contact you when I get back.

Hei, hei from Finland!

AJ
    agoldman@csus.org

Hey there Mark/Pegasus.

Long time, no see

Nice to see you re-surface. If you want to do the next SHTP this is a good time to get started on it. ....and the best place.

What kind of boat are you driving now?? Where are you based out of?? I'm pretty sure you sold Pegasus and left Alaska not too long after we met up in Hilo in '06 - then moved on to other stuff for a while, but must admit I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

My email is haulback (at) hotmail.com. Drop me a line and if you need any coaching from the sidelines I'd be glad to lead you astray.

Catch ya' later

Jim/Haulback

Thanks all for the welcomes and the information!

Jim, I"m driving a tractor right now or will be soon.

I'm still hard aground on a farm in Wisconsin, but I've got the time and I think the wherewithal to be ready for 2012 if I can get my ducks in a row. Most important, my sweet wife has acquiesced. On what I'd like to sail, anything from another Contessa 26 to a Contessa 32-35, an Intrepid 35 or something like the Spencer 35 for sale now in Vancouver, BC - I toured one once and it looked tough and nimble. As much as I loved and felt protected by Pegasus (Westsail 32), I'd like to try something a little friskier the next time.

Thanks again!
    Mark
    Last edited by MarcoSolo; 03-26-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Hey Mark: I grew up on a Spencer 35 T'solo they are great seaworthy boats. I live in Victoria and if you want me to have a good look at her I would be happy to. I think now is a great time to buy a boat. You could also consider a Hobie 33 as long as you never sail to weather. Cheers John

Is there an IRC section in the SHTP? Or is it all PHRF...

No IRC, just a base PHRF with the Pacific Cup adjustment for the downwind course.