Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Count Me In!

Starbuck is in singlehanded! Thanks for doing RC AJ. Looking forward to the seminars.

Stephen

Default Rainbow is in

Looking forward to it, and hoping for more wind than 2009.

Cliff Shaw

Sweet! Hope to see you there.
    Tom Krase
    Constellation, Wylie 33, cold-molded wood

Default Registrants so far

This is the list so far. I can't wait!

Alchera
    Culebra
    Darwind
    Even Keel
    Moonshadow
    Ragtime!
    Rainbow
    Tiger Beetle
    Tortuga
    Xpression

Dirk
    Xpression

Wink

feel free to add Wafi to that list

The mighty Chippewa is currently prepping for SH Farallones, and if that goes well, then LongPac might be in the cards.

A couple of quick questions, though:

I do not have a depth finder or a knot meter/ log.

I am planning on using a lead line to satisfy the depth finder requirement, but does anyone have any insight into what the cheapest/ easiest way would be to satisfy the knot meter/ log requirement?

Will my 406 PLB be adequate for LongPac, or would I need a full blown EPIRB? (I know i'll need a real EPIRB for SHTP)

Hi Ronnie,

I'm glad to hear the boat is coming along and you're thinking about the LongPac. (Now how about Domino?)

Regarding the knot meter, I assume the requirement is there so that along with the required manual compass, you could navigate by dead reckoning if necessary. While the cheapest way to meet the requirement might be a chip log, I would have a hard time signing that off. I would look on E-Bay or elsewhere for a stand-alone speed instrument and thru-hull/paddlewheel. I suspect an older Raymarine ST-40 or equivalent would be pretty inexpensive.

Is there a thru-hull for it now? If so, I have some information about sourcing a transducer that will work in the existing housing (if you can identify what it is).

For LongPac, the 406 device needs to be an EPIRB, not a PLB. But remember you can rent one from Sal's, Boat US, and probably other places.

/Inspector Clouseau

Update - I just did an E-Bay search on "Raymarine Speed." A new ST-40 transducer came up for less than $100 - track down a display and you're set. If you don't want to install a through-hull, there's also a transom-mounted speed log available. I don't know how that would work with heeling, etc. - maybe someone else here does?
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Default EPIRB Rental - BOAT US

BOAT US rents EPIRBs. The rental period is 8 days. You have to join BOAT US for $24 to rent from them. The rentals are: $65 for a regular EPRIB (including postage both ways) or $95 for a GPS EPIRB (including postage). If you're going to use BOAT US it's a good idea to get going soon. They can run out of rental units if the LongPac coincides with other EPIRB-required races. I've rented from them for the LongPac & PacCup. Check out the BOAT US Foundation page for details. -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Regarding the knot meter, I assume the requirement is there so that along with the required manual compass, you could navigate by dead reckoning if necessary.
    Playing devil's advocate here, why isn't a GPS acceptable as a knotmeter? Admittedly it gives different information from a through-the-water knotmeter, but arguably it's better information from the point of view of safety.

Max

I agree Max - SOG is more useful for dead reckoning. Moreover we already require a spare GPS. Some say there's a risk of the GPS going down but I think I could find the coast if that happened.

I'll leave it to those who get paid the big bucks to make these lofty decisions.