Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Count Me In!

thanks for all of the input guys. Needing to rent an EPIRB, have some type of knot log, AIS, spare GPS, etc etc is going to probably mean that I am not going to make LongPac, but SH Farallones is definitely in the works. S/V Domino is registered for Farallones but not planning on LongPac, to my knowledge.

Chippewa is very strongly considering making a run at the south tower race in lieu of the Long Pac...

having said all of that, Adam and I are already talking about arranging another "LatePac" like last year; probably either in the fall during a weather window, or in the spring, but who knows.

ronnie

For the South Tower Race you're going to want a real depth sounder. There's part of the race where someone will be nearly dedicated to watching it (and the chart).

Default Raft

I have a currently inspected Winslow raft I could rent out. I thought I had an old Raymarine depth/speed control head laying around - can't seem to find it at the moment - will keep looking.

Send me a note if interested in the raft.

Greg
    Contour 34
    Hapa Girl

Default Official word?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I agree Max - SOG is more useful for dead reckoning. Moreover we already require a spare GPS. Some say there's a risk of the GPS going down but I think I could find the coast if that happened.

I'll leave it to those who get paid the big bucks to make these lofty decisions.
    Hi all,

Is there an official word on this? Do I need a separate log or will a GPS be a reasonable substitute? Would be nice to know before I go drilling unnecessary holes.

Yes, the official word is that your spare GPS will count as log meter. When I sailed to Kauai last summer my paddle wheel was not even installed, I always used my GPS to give me DTF and Total Distance Sailed. I would say the paddle wheel can foul easier than my GPS would stop working. Bring spare batteriers! I actually had my spare GPS hard wired to the main battery bank, I never turned it off. I wanted to see that DTF always go down :-).

AJ
    2011 LongPac Race Chair
    Last edited by ajgoldman; 05-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Default A live, on line list of SH and DH 2011 LongPac entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoldman View Post
    Yes, the official word is that your spare GPS will count as log meter. When I sailed to Kauai last summer my paddle wheel was not even installed, I always used my GPS to give me DTF and Total Distance Sailed. I would say the paddle wheel can foul easier than my GPS would stop working. Bring spare batteriers! I actually had my spare GPS hard wired to the main battery bank, I never turned it off. I wanted to see that DTF always go down :-).

AJ
    2011 LongPac Race Chair
    Since AJ is this year's LongPac Race chair, I thought I would share the way you ( as well as he) can keep track of who is coming The following is a question and answer exchange I had by email today:

Is there a list of boats that are already signed up for the LongPac?
    Sure is!

I wanted to see who was single handed and who was double handed.
    Go to the URL http://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php
    Click on the Entrants button
    You see a list which is sortable by any of the columns

Is it too late to sign up? I see I need an inspection by June 15th.
    Not at all too late. Just fill in the entry form for LongPac with as much information as you have now, and amend the form as you get more information, That puts you on AJ's radar. He is the Race Chair for the 2011 LongPac.

You and AJ will work out your inspections after you have entered the registration form, or at least the scanned, signed and uploaded forms about liability and experience.

John Foster
    SSS Race Info Officer 2010-2011
    Nonsuch 22 Blueberry, sail # 48

excellent decision, AJ.

I can only assume that a spare GPS will also suffice for 2012 SHTP as well as LongPac 2011? Is that correct?

I would not assume that Ronnie. Simply heading East in the event of multiple GPS failures is not an option in the SHTP - open ocean dead reckoning could prove necessary, and that would require a knotmeter/log.

I suspect the SSS Rules Committee will want to look at this.

Last edited by Phil MacFarlane; 05-16-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Had a beer and deleted this post.

Default log

Ronnie,

I have a spare Nexus speed instrument and thru-hull I pulled off Idefix. It actually works better than the ST60 I replaced it with. I've been meaning to ebay it, but I'll give it to you if you PM me your address. Includes everything but the hole in the bottom of your boat.

If I tried to dead reckon to Hawaii with the Raymarine box I'd probably end up on Easter Island.

Adrian