Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 LongPac NOR and RRC

Default 2011 LongPac NOR and RRC

I’m putting the final touches on the LOR for this year’s Longpac and I hope to have the LOR online by this Friday. The RRC’s are also almost done and should be posted by March 1st. In the mean time, I hope there are many boats out there getting ready for the race! If you have any questions for me, please feel free to email me at agoldman@csus.org. I have assembled an experienced committee for the boat inspections. I would like to get the inspections started around April 15th, especially for the first timers. No one passes on the first inspection so it’s good to get it done early. I failed on three items but got it all worked out on time.

BTW: John, yes, I would love your help and I have already penciled you in to help me staff the race deck as the boats come in. We can hang out on Dream Chaser, just like in Hanalei!

Hello LongPac skippers!

The NOR for this year’s race will be posted today. The RRC’s are almost complete and will be posted around March 1st. Some people have asked me about equipment for this year’s LongPac so I thought I would not wait until March 1st and post some highlights now.

Here are a few key pieces of equipment that will be required for this year’s LongPac (the entire minimum equipment list will be laid out in the RRC).

Required:
    1) 406 MHz registered EPIRB set to expire no earlier than July 12, 2011
    2) Liferaft with current certificate set to expire no earlier than July 12, 2011
    3) AIS receiver (I will post a separate article and links about why the committee and I feel strongly about requiring this)
    4) Food!

Note: I talked with Sal from Sal’s Inflatable’s and he will rent to the skippers of the LongPac: EPIRB $65, 4 person liferaft $450 (rental price includes pick-up and drop off days).

Not required for 2011 LongPac but required for the 2012 TransPac:
    1) SSB radio or Satellite phone
    2) Emergency steering system independent of the main rudder (not to be confused with an emergency tiller)
    3) More food!

Not required for 2011 LongPac:
    1) Masthead strobe

Will allow for 2011 LongPac:
    1) Fiber lifelines (minimum diameter and material will be spelled out in RRC)

Any questions, feel free to email me.

AJ
    agoldman@csus.org

PS I miss the ocean!

Default LOngPac NOR Posted

The LongPac NOR that AJ has been working on is now posted on the SSS web site at: http://sfbaysss.org/2011/PDF/2011_LongPac_NOR.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoldman View Post
    4 person liferaft $450 (rental price includes pick-up and drop off days
    AJ, is that a typo? ...hopefully anyway. Check out Sal's prices here (shouldn't require more than a 1 wk rental, I think):
    http://www.salsinflatableservices.com/rentals.htm

AJ, I miss the ocean too... definitely looking forward to the LongPac, and some of the OYRA races in the SHS division, too. Thanks for all the support on this race!

Paul/Culebra

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Life raft pricing is correct. In the summer race season months there is a one-month minimum rental.

It is only slightly more (like 10% or something) to get a 6 man vs. a 4 man, and the weight is only +15lbs or something like that. Not relavant to Long Pac but interesting.

edit: Sal's website info is pretty stale, per Sal. I just booked my raft for the Coastal Cup, that is where I got the latest info.
    Last edited by pogen; 03-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.

The Scottish accountant in me said "Let's Long-Pac'ers get together and share the month's rental; we'll each take a week." But then I thought "Oh, wait..."

$450 for 4-5 days is a lot - any alternatives?

I confess, when I did my qualifier (not the Long Pac), I didn't take a raft.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-15-2011 at 08:16 AM.

$450 is a lot of money. I too was surprised by this high amount. I will say there is no way we will remove the liferaft requirement for the LongPac, so please find a way to get one on board. Maybe there are some kind people out there that will lend their liferaft for a week. My thinking is that if someone uses it, you just saved that person's life! That karma is worth $3,500 (and I bet they pay you back anyways).

Sorry for the delay getting out the RRCs. They will be posted by Friday, March 18th.

I would like to begin yacht inspections around April 15th. I will give a prize to the first boat that passes inspection!

Save the date: as a reminder, Stan Honey will give the first LongPac seminar on Thursday, May 12th at 7:30pm at the Oakland Yacht Club. You don't want to miss this!

Any questions, please let me know.

AJ
    agoldman@csus.org

$450 is a lot of money. I too was surprised by this high amount.
    That is the least expensive life insurance plan you can buy. Ask around of course if your trying to save $$$. Someone might have one that you can rent/offset the re-certificate fee etc.

John, Ray, and I are working hard on getting the LongPac race docs available online. Sorry it's taking so long, we are running into a few snags, but we are hopeful it will be complete soon.

In the mean time, the RRC's are posted online and have the minimum equipment list you will need to pass inspection. Also, if you feel you are ready for inspection and want to get this process going, please email me and we can schedule a date. How do you know you will pass inspection, easy, check off every item in the RRC and you will pass :-). If you plan to rent a liferaft and/or EPIRB, you can have your inspection now pending these items. We can check you off as final once you have these items on the boat near race time.

I hope to see you all at the May 12th meeting with Stan Honey.

Email me with any questions.

Cheers!

AJ
    agoldman@csus.org

I'll offer too - I'll be doing some of the inspections again if you want to run anything by me: BobsailsSF at the yahoo place.

I lined up the 2009 equipment list (available at the link I posted in the "Qualifier" thread) with the 2011 draft and they are nearly identical. The main addition this year is an AIS receiver (unless you already have radar w/perimeter alarm). AIS is a great piece of gear if you ever go outside the Gate and it was required for the last SH TransPac. With LongPac you spend a lot of time around the shipping lanes - just about the time you're clear of them it's time to turn around and head back through them again. AIS is what you want for that.

I know it's a repeat but here's a brief summary of the AIS options:

The cheapest option (as little as $200) is a receiver that overlays the AIS data on your laptop's chart software. This option assumes you have a laptop on board and have the juice to keep it running - if you want to be warned about approaching ships (which is kind of the idea, right?). You'll need to crank your computer speakers up enough to hear the AIS's alarm or have some way to accomplish the same thing.

The next option is still my favorite - a stand-alone AIS receiver that is always on, not dependent on a laptop (and the juice to keep it running), has its own screen so I can see where I am relative to the ships, and has its own alarm. Even with the bad exchange rate the best deal going, at about $316 after conversion, is this:

http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/marine/p...dar-32p115.htm

You can get the same unit with Si-Tex's name on it for $460 at Defender. I've had the NASA unit for five years and it works fine - I just used it Saturday for the Lightship race.

Next up in price ($500-$700) is a toss-up between the Watchmate screen plus an AIS receive unit, or some of the name brand receivers without a screen (again, using your laptop). They are discontinuing the Watchmate - Defender only has one left as of this morning.

Top end is an AIS transceiver, which will enable the ships to receive a signal from you as well. By the way, so will your competitors. Without a screen these are $700-$900, or well over a boat buck for a stand-alone unit with screen.

Besides the AIS unit itself you need an antenna and GPS input. For an antenna, just mount your required emergency VHF antenna on the stern pulpit and use that - it works fine. Alternatively you can install a powered splitter and send the VHF signal to your AIS from the masthead VHF antenna.

GPS input is as simple as one wire from your GPS's plug. For the NASA unit (and I assume most others) the GPS needs to output NMEA.

I forgot one other option - Standard Horizon sells a VHF radio with built-in GPS and AIS. The AIS screen is tiny/hard to read and I don't know what it does for an alarm, but it's worth a look if you need a VHF anyway.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-25-2011 at 10:01 AM.