Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 LongPac NOR and RRC

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the rundown on the AIS options. The current draw quoted for the NASA Clipper AIS is only 50 mA, while the current draw for the VHF/AIS combo from Standard Hoizon is quoted at 0.55 A on standby. therefore, if relying on the AIS and one has to leave the VHF on, the current draw would be 10 x as much. do you keep the VHF on most of the time? mostly off? if you keep the VHF off, the lower current draw of the stand alone unit is a significant advantage.

Thank you,
    Todd

Hi Todd,

It's not necessary to keep the VHF turned on for the NASA unit to work but I assume it is necessary for the Standard Horizon combo unit's AIS/GPS to work.

That said, I would monitor Ch. 16 throughout the race. Not only is it advisable to hear safety and emergency broadcasts, but I believe it is required by the USCG.

The small lit screen on my ICOM VHF is enough to provide a cabin "night light" so it's not all bad. You just need to factor it into your power budget.

Default My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Top end is an AIS transceiver, which will enable the ships to receive a signal from you as well. By the way, so will your competitors. Without a screen these are $700-$900, or well over a boat buck for a stand-alone unit with screen.
    They're a bit lower than that now, actually. If you're only looking for the transponder, Comar Marine makes a very nice AIS B unit, $599 on Milltechmarine.com as an example. That's the unit I have, and I love it... built in GPS. Watchmate makes a fully integrated unit now, AIS B transponder plus display, $1030 on Milltech. And I love the features of the display.

If I still sailed my SC27, which was so skinny on systems, I'd opt for an inexpensive receiver only. But on a boat with installed systems, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an AIS B with dedicated display. My 2 cents.

Paul/Culebra