Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to mount control head for Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 Tiller Autopilot?

Default Where to mount control head for Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 Tiller Autopilot?

Greetings-
    I am in the process of installing Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 Tiller on an Express 27. I am wondering where to install the control head. The main choices are on the forward facing bulkhead at the aft end of the cockpit or the aft facing bulkhead at the forward end of the cockpit. I guess it could go on the side of the cockpit, as well. It seems like for attaching and unattaching the drive unit, the aft position would be best, and maybe for maneuvers, the forward position would be best. Any opinions?
    Thank you,
    Todd

You should put it wher you can reach it while on either side of the cockpit and also while your other hand is on the tiller.
    I have an Alpha 3000 on Sail a Vie. I used to have the control haed mounted in the cockpit. I moved it to just inside the boat. mounted to the underside of the deck right next to the sliding top of the companionway.
    If you plan on long distance single handing this is a good place for it as you can adjust course without coming on deck. I can reach it from either side of the cockpit and while my other hand is driving. If I'm outside and the companionway is shut up for weather, then I have to slide the top open just a few inches. You can make a mount out of abs plastic and bend it as needed with heat.
    It also docent hurt that it would be out of the weather. On that subject, you should make a sunbrella sock fot the drive unit. Try to keep as much water as possible off it.

Default Raymarine X-5 Mounting

I'm installing an X-5 on my Wyliecat 30. No transom and I think a side mount would be awkward, so it's the cabin bulkhead for the control head. I think it's important to both reach and see the control head. Inside makes both difficult, especially if the hatch boards are in place.
    The compass is going under the cabin sole - middle of boat, down low. The computer's in the head compartment (which has become the nav center), along with the VHF/SSB radios.
    I'm mounting the ram on the port side of the cockpit since the only cockpit locker is on the starboard side. The present Autohelm 1000 is mounted on top of the locker lid, which makes opening the locker difficult when using the autopilot. That's where the Honda generator lives, so access is important.
    Now I have to figure out how to connect the TackTick wind instrument to the X-5 so it can steer to the wind. Some say the NMEA translator doesn't work very well and the TackTick unit is expensive! Yikes.
    Pat Broderick "NANCY"

Todd, I puzzled over the same question with my X5. I finally put the control head on the inside of the port cockpit coaming, just ahead of the ram, because I decided it was most important to be able to get the ram on/off the tiller and switch between Auto/Standby in quick succession.

Yes, it's inconvenient sometimes. I have to leave the cabin to make a course change, and even if I'm in the cockpit it can be an awkward twist or reach. Maybe I'll look at moving it forward if I ever feel like filling a big hole in the fiberglass, but I can't move it very far or it'll get bashed every time I open a cockpit locker.

Max

My boat has one mounted on the aft of the cockpit, below the tiller. Very practical for connecting/disconnecting the unit, but it has several disadvantages:
    1) if you're in the boat when something goes haywire, you have to jump out the companionway and dive across the cockpit to get to it, or even just to adjust it. I was doing this often and getting bruised a lot.
    2) the unit is mounted backwards, so the +/- adjustment buttons seem to work backwards. A little counterintuitive, but you get used to it.
    3) the unit is mounted low enough that if (when) the cockpit fills with water, the face could be underwater. This hasn't been an issue so far for me, and I've flooded the cockpit twice.

For the transpac I wanted a backup in case the control head fried (not a completely unlikely scenario - my wind instrument got water damage), so I mounted a second one next to the companionway. With this I can adjust the AP while sitting in the companionway, which is invaluable. Also, I could steer by the compass display on the AP, which I did a lot, especially at night.

When I got home I took the second unit off and kept the one at the aft end of the cockpit in. It's really fine for short sails, and makes connecting/disconnecting the AP super easy. For long sails, where you're not disconnecting the unit so much, the forward position might be better.

Adrian

Default Side Mount?

Todd,

I know I'm late to that party here, but I mounted my control head on the starboard inside of my cockpit. It's not a bad spot. I can deal with the sideways issue. My Tartan Ten has a very long cockpit, so on the forward bulkhead was way out of reach and I didn't think my brain could deal with it mounted backwards on the transom, so I went with a side mount back near the tiller.

I splurged and bought the remote so I can adjust course from in the cabin and even the bunk - very handy when the off-course or wind shift alarms go off.

Whitall

I installed the Autopilot X5. Was able to calibrate fine. Then I have had an issue. I spoke with someone from Raymarine this AM, sent the course computer to Raymarine in New Hampshire.

this is the text of the note I sent along:

"Raymarine
    21 Manchester St
    Merrimack NH 03054

Please test the enclosed course computer. It is part of a SmartPilot X-5 Tiller installation. This is using a 6002 Control Head. I called this morning, explained what I am seeing to a Raymarine Customer Support Person. He advised to send in the Course Computer as the next step.

This is a new installation. The power leads are 12G from distribution panel to the course computer. The voltage at the course computer is 12.8V. The installation is on an Express 27 sailboat. When I put the autopilot to Auto, after a variable length of time, it switches back to Standby.

After installation, I was able to carry out calibration.

Sometimes, it will stay in Auto longer than 1 minute, sometimes, it switches back to Standby after just a few seconds, and sometimes when in Standby, after pushing Auto, there is a brief message “STARTUP” before going back to Standby, and it will not go into Auto.

When I tried to get the Software Information, the first screen says VERSION 5.00, the next screen says STARTU without giving the Course Computer Software Version, and the next screen gives 00000 hrs.

My return address is:

Todd Olsen
    address
    phone number

Thank you,"

I will post what happens. Right now, I suspect the Course Computer, but I, myself, am probably the main suspect.

Todd

Sounds to me like the course computer is intermittently disconnected from power. Make sure the wires insert all the way into the screw terminals, and the make the terminals very tight where the main power leads connect to the course computer. Also check the independent ground connection to the course computer. If all is secure there, then check the connections on the breaker panel end of the power leads. If you are using an in-line fuse, make sure the fuse holder is not corroded, or that the spring hasn't sprung, or the solder joints aren't broken where the fuse holder wires attach to the nub ends of the fuse holder. Is the 12G wire new? Is it perhaps compromised somewhere, that sort of thing.

Paul/Culebra

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will double check all this. Wiring is new. I did it myself, so ... Used the marine ancor wire, crimp heat shrink terminals with a ratcheting crimper.

The boat had no electrical system, so I installed battery and distribution panel.

For a ground, there is a 10G wire that goes from a stainless strap connected to a keel bolt(some obvious superficial corrosion on original strap) to distribution panel ground strap the 12G wire to course computer. Perhaps that is not a sufficicient ground. If the course computer checks out ok, I can try to troubleshoot by connecting the ground wire to some metal hung over the side into the ocean.

There is also a 25W solar panel in the system to keep the battery topped off.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

Todd

Sounds like you've got a good installation. But if it is the wiring (for the main power), then for me the most likely place is where the 2 power wires feed into those green plastic screw terminals on the course computer. It's a long shot, but it wouldn't be hard to miss getting the wire fed all the way in, and maybe the screw isn't capturing it against the housing. Or perhaps the little individual strands of wire have had time to compress and work their way into the crannies of that little socket (if you didn't tin the wire with solder), and now you could have a wire that loses contact in there. As I said, a long shot, but worth checking. I think hanging the ground over the side would be overkill, but do check to see if it is loose on either end.

Good luck!
    Paul/Culebra