Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to mount control head for Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 Tiller Autopilot?

I agree with Paul, it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. I've had lots of X-5 autopilot issues, but the problems were never found to be the computer.

Slacker

ok. Once I hear from Raymarine, if the course computer checks out ok, I will try tinning the power leads, reconnect, etc. I was able to do a complete calibration with the original installation, so the power leads must have been sufficient for that. Thanks, Todd

I am about to start the process of installing that system in my Olson 29. It currently has all systems grounded to the negative post on the battery(it's an inboard). If I were to ground to the head of the keel bolt, would the ground be complete through the keel to the water? It's antifouling is VC-17(great lakes fresh water boat).
    Also having trouble deciding where to mount control head. Am considering inside of transom and dealing with the opposite direction issue. Currently, with my ST4000, I have the control head on the port side of the companionway. It's a pain, as you can't reach it while holding the tiller, especially if your heeled to the opposite side. I don't recommend it.
    Any input on whether it's possible to connect 2 control heads up? And whether the ST4002 control head is the same? Certainly looks the same. If not, I am going to leave it where it is, and connect it to the fluxgate compass (as I now have 2) and use it as a digital compass. Plus, I like the redundancy factor.

The 4000+ control head will not run the X-5 computer (nor will an old 6001 head). However the drive units will respond to either system. I have the X-5 and 4000 and can switch between them on the fly without touching the drive unit.

On RAGTIME! the 6002 head is on the aft face of the cabin trunk just to starboard, and the 4000 head is on the lower drop board (which stays in place). When solo I'm almost always on autopilot but if I want to steer I hit "Standby," go aft and remove the ram from the tiller, and steer. In reverse - center the tiller, attach the ram, lean forward and hit "Autopilot."

I've never felt like I needed a control head back there. With the open transom it would be really exposed on my boat - I suspect if it got wet inside it would take down the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    I am about to start the process of installing that system in my Olson 29. It currently has all systems grounded to the negative post on the battery(it's an inboard). If I were to ground to the head of the keel bolt, would the ground be complete through the keel to the water? It's antifouling is VC-17(great lakes fresh water boat).
    Also having trouble deciding where to mount control head. Am considering inside of transom and dealing with the opposite direction issue. Currently, with my ST4000, I have the control head on the port side of the companionway. It's a pain, as you can't reach it while holding the tiller, especially if your heeled to the opposite side. I don't recommend it.
    Any input on whether it's possible to connect 2 control heads up? And whether the ST4002 control head is the same? Certainly looks the same. If not, I am going to leave it where it is, and connect it to the fluxgate compass (as I now have 2) and use it as a digital compass. Plus, I like the redundancy factor.
    I grounded all the electronics and electrical system to the negative of the batteries. I believe the X5 computer has a separate grounding terminal, which I did not connect to anything. My RF ground for the SSB is on the keelbolt, and I understand RF ground and electrical ground should be kept separate. I don't really see a good reason to ground the APs or electrical system to the keelbolt. In fact there may be reasons you wouldn't want to (electrolysis, lightning...).

I have two 6002 heads connected to the X5s. They work fine together.

Raymarine sent the course computer back with a message that said, "course computer bench tested, cust complaint confirmed, replaced pcb, unit re-tested" I think that is printed circuit board. the pcb is the whole course computer minus the plastic housing, so that is not very satisfying, as I would like to know which component or whatever is not correct. anyway, I will reinstall and update. todd

Default Installed my X5 into cockpit transom

Last week I installed mine into the cockpit transom because I wanted it close by the helm. Soon, I will get a remote for when I'm farther.

I tried to get it working Friday before Farallones race, but I could not get power. Hello "1/2in surgical tubing" 1/1000 of the X5 price for close reach/close haul work.

Good Luck on the fix and I'll post when I get mine up and running.

Default Raymarine recall issue

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    Raymarine sent the course computer back with a message that said, "course computer bench tested, cust complaint confirmed, replaced pcb, unit re-tested" I think that is printed circuit board. the pcb is the whole course computer minus the plastic housing, so that is not very satisfying, as I would like to know which component or whatever is not correct. anyway, I will reinstall and update. todd
    Did it work, Todd? And did you check to see what software version it is?

News item for X-5 owners. Course computers manufactured before May-2010 (or roughly that) have a recall item. I discovered this because my course computer started acting up during the Lightship race. I sent the computer to Raymarine to check it out. I didn't know about the recall at the time. Apparently there's a "coil" component (part L76) involved in the computer's process of getting and displaying the correct heading from the fluxgate compass. The connection from the coil to the circuit board tends to break with vibration/fatigue. The fix: Raymarine adds a beefy jumper to the coil. While they're at it, they update the computer with the latest software version, which is currently v1.20, and which they say corrects issues found in older versions (not specific to which issues). They said my unit was probably acting up due to the software, not the recall issue. They updated both. I've not reinstalled the course computer yet to test its performance. (I'll wait until after LongPac.) The spare is working fine, which by the way came with the new software but still has the fragile coil connection. Raymarine said to wait before sending in my spare unit for the recall item--a new software version is coming out in a few months and I could get them both at that time.

Ah... Raymarine woes. Actually, they're really good about the warranty work, and their techs are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I might add, if anyone's X-5 pilot is not performing like you expect it should (response to seas, wind changes, following the course you enter, that sort of thing), and you don't have v1.20, then I think there's good reason to suspect it isn't working right. Send it in and get the newest software (either now or in a few months).

Paul/Culebra

Hi Paul,

I was going to wait until I have a little more information before updating. I reinstalled the Course Computer. Was able to calibrate, next step will be to take it sailing a few times to be sure it does not do what it was doing before, that is going from Auto to Standby on its own.

I will check the software version next time I go to the boat. I would really like to know more about what caused the course computer to need replacement of the entire PCB. So I called Raymarine, was able to speak with the tech who replaced the PCB. He said that the faulty PCB had been sent to the "factory" for evaluation. He would have additional information once that had taken place. Did not offer to contact me, but did give me his phone number so I can call back in a month and inquire.

By one month from now, I should know if the AP is working correctly and, hopefully, will have a little better idea about what was wrong on the original cource computer PCB.

Todd

The reinstalled Autopilot with the new course computer PCB seems to work well. I have not seen any more episodes of switching from Auto to Standby on it's own.

I was able to speak with the Raymarine Tech today regarding which component on the PCB was faulty. Similar to Paul's post, he indicated that there is a "coil" on the PCB and noise from the coil sets off the unit causing it to convert itself from Auto to Standby. I had a little difficulty understanding his accent, and I do not have complete understanding of the techical factors, so this is just a sketch of what I heard. He indicated that Raymarine has issued a technical advisory bulletin to the repair techs indicating what to do for this problem. The fix is to replace the coil with a zero ohm resistor (a jump). Also, for units sent in with software older than version 130, the software should be upgraded to 130. The older software works fine, but one of the new features of version 130 is the unit will beep an alarm if it switches from Auto to Standby on its own.

I have software version 120. The tech advised me that when I anticipate not using the unit for 3 weeks or so, I should consider sending it in, and he will perform the removal of the coil, insertion of the jump, and update the software. My sense is if I do this the unit may be a little more reliable than if I don't.

Todd