Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return Logistics

Rob
    Thanks for the info. Can I assume that it will primarily light and variable? I don't have a pilot chart. The total time would be a deal breaker between the race and the return. If it becomes possible to put it together with the boat I would need to find some of the idle rich I guess, who have sailing skills, who might be able to deliver it for me.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Rob
    Thanks for the info. Can I assume that it will primarily light and variable? I don't have a pilot chart.
    It will be windy on departure from Hanalei, light going under or through the High, then windy again approaching coast in typical return conditions.

A typical departure from Hanalei will put you heading north or west of north in 15-20 knot tradewinds, sailing north for 500-700 miles - figure a week or a bit less of bashing north. Somewhere along that track you hope to intercept the Pacific High, and either tack east along under it in light air, or go a bit further north and motor east - usually around 38-40 degrees north latitude as you head east.

It's then a week of moving east through or beneath the High, and then you pop out into the north westerly breeze coming around the eastern edge of the High - and then you'd drop south to San Diego (assuming that's where you're headed).

So it's a reasonably lengthy passage from Hanalei to San Diego. It's also half of the run of doing the race!

- rob

Can anyone clue me in on a reasonable expectation of what kind of $$ it takes to get a Moore 24 back from Hawaii on a cargo ship? I assume, of course, it's easier to ship it back than to find willing (and qualified!) souls to sail the boat back...

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    Can anyone clue me in on a reasonable expectation of what kind of $$ it takes to get a Moore 24 back from Hawaii on a cargo ship? I assume, of course, it's easier to ship it back than to find willing (and qualified!) souls to sail the boat back...
    Give Matson a telephone call and see if they still do RO-RO (roll-on, roll-off) out of San Diego. This will give you a good baseline to work with, there are likely to be other group-rates set up as time goes by, but it's a bit early for that.

To do RO-RO, you will need a solid trailer, seriously strong tie-down straps, and plan to sail the boat over to Ala Wai after the race (usually not the most mellow of trips).

- rob/beetle

Cool Shipping a Boat Home from Hawaii

My understanding is that MATSON ships out of Oakland and PASHA ships out of San Diego. I know Matson calls at Kuaii, but I'm not sure about PASHA. PASHA does offer inter island boat shipping, but I'm not sure how that works.

Usually both companies offer a "special" during the PacCup/SSS TransPac year. The "special" usually includes shipping your empty trailer over, shipping the boat/trailer combo back - with no extra fee for the length of the mast. Your fee is based on the "box" formed by the length/width/height of the trailer/boat combo. You pay by the cubic footage of that package rather than the weight.

Both companies run bi-weekly service and each has one ship with roll on-roll off capabilities. That means if you can ship your trailer about a week prior to the race, it will be waiting for you. If you're lucky, you can get your boat packed up and on the trailer and catch the boat back without having to wait 2 weeks and pay storage fees over there.

You will pay yard fees for hauling/pulling the mast/etc. You will probably pay some sort of fee for hauling your trailer/boat from the boatyard to the shipping facility. In Honolulu that's about $550 + $100 for the yard to hook your trailer onto the towing truck - all on top of the other yard fees.

For a 30' Wyliecat, Matson charged about $4500 for shipping. The yard/towing fees in Honolulu added close to another $2000 to that cost. You might avoid excessive towing fees by renting a pickup, but remember you'll be under tremendous time pressures to meet deadlines without the resources you might have at home. You might even be able to find a launch ramp and haul your boat that way - a few of the 24-27 foot boats managed that in last year's PacCup. The trick was that you had to be able to get the mast down without a crane and get the trailer deep enough for the keel. It was hairy/scary! It took almost 20 people under an Express 27 to "hump" it into position on the trailer after the pull out.

Matson's website is <www.matson.com> and Pasha's <pashahawaii.com>

Pat Broderick

Default Hanelei to san diego

Rob,
    I thought I sent this yesterday, but I can't find it on the forum, so maybe I hit delete instead of send

As I appreciate your preferred route of flight, to go from hanelei to san diego, I would sail north, or west of north, from 11 degrees south of San Diego to 6 degrees north of San Diego, then east for a week, and then back south 6 degrees to San Diego. I do not question that conventional wisdom (apparently), but I am curious as to what sea monster lives on the rhumb line course, that makes it so I'll-advised. What wind or sea conditions are on the rhumb line?
    Thanks
    Jim

P.s. If I went that way would I be like Charlie and the mta (see kingston trio if not old enough to remember).

Default Pacific High, says, "Hi!"

Mostly the ocean directly between California and Hawaii is occupied by the Pacific High during the Summer months - at least in a normal Summer. The reason the Spanish could sail their Manila galleons to and from Mexico for nearly 200 years and never discover Hawaii is that they knew about the high. The route to Manila went South of Hawaii and the return route to N. America went North - sort of along 45º North. Then they coasted down along Oregon, California, Baja California, and to Mexico, sometimes stopping in protected anchorages - like Drake's Bay where the bones of a Manila galleon remain to this day. Captain Cook was surprised when he came upon the Hawaiian Islands in 1778 - and unfortunately for him when he returned a year later he never left the place. The best way to "navigate" a direct route is on the deck of a Matson cargo ship.
    Pat B.

Default pacific high

I assumed that would probably be the answer. Too bad my boat is not a candidate for a berth on Matson. Thanks.
    Jim

Default Matson Boats

Jim, Don't know what your boat is, but Matson's hauled them home as small as 20' and I know as large as a Passport 40.
    Pat B.

does anyone has a name at Matson? someone to talk to?