Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return Logistics

Default Return Logistics

Hi Folks,

I know it's early, but I'm trying to figure out how to get my Tartan Ten back from Hawaii after the Race next year. I have no cradle, no trailer, and no time to sail her back. I've thought about selling her there, but I'm guessing selling a boat there is even harder than selling a boat here on the mainland. Any suggestions?

Slacker

Hey Slack,

Selling over there has been done successfully. The last one I know of was Alan, who had his SC27 sold before he arrived in Hanalei. He stripped off the offshore gear and sent that back home on one of the larger boats, hopped on the plane and came home. I suspect he'll see this before long and can give you more details.

Another possibility (done before) is to pay the shipping bill for one of the smaller boats and let its skipper sail your boat home. I know from our emails and exchanges on other boards that you know what you're doing and your boat is well fitted out. A skipper would be looking for that - it's a major undertaking to sail back. These arrangements usually get made under the Tree after the first group hug (ie not in advance), so you'd need to have a backup plan.

A skipper in 2006 (Paul) left his boat in Nawiliwili until the next season and then sailed it home - that might give you the flexibility to make it work.

I can tell you - you feel like Magellan or something after you've sailed home!

Like Magellan??? Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Like Magellan??? Good grief!
    Marketing Ken - it's all marketing.

Wink Imitating Magellan

Might I remind everyone that Ferdinand ("Ferdie" to his friends) died when only halfway around the world. I know his name is connected with the first circumnavigation, but he only got as far as the Philippines. I don't know what that means when sailing back from Hawaii (notable last stop for another explorer, this one English), but only getting halfway doesn't seem like much of an option. It's like marketing a Chevy named Nova in S. America.
    Pat

Okay Crowhurst then. You feel like Crowhurst.

This is a tough crowd.

Say Bob,

Congratulations, you've been promoted out of the marketing department!
    Here's your shovel, now fill in the holes you dug.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Default Marketing fun

Always glad to see friends having fun! And getting halfway back from Hawaii doesn't usually work out too well. Had one guy I met in Hilo started back to mainland but Maydayed after about 200 miles north of the islands and was picked up by the US Navy (Shades of Space Cowboy?) having abandoned his 32ft (or so) boat. Said his spreaders were getting loose. Later tried to claim insurance "loss"....I'm pretty sure unsuccessfully.
    At keast Ferdinand had a GPS named after him! Guess that was marketing...

Guys dying, keels falling off, gear failures...you guys are filling me with confidence...

No worries Slack. I done got promoted. The next marketing director will talk about the Mai Tais with the little umbrellas in 'em.