Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return Logistics

Just don't hit the reef at the finish line.

There - feel better, Bob? I'd hate to think that the marketing department had gone uphill following your departure.

- rob/beetle

Aw Rob, you had go telling him about the reef. Sucker extends clear across Hanalei Bay so you can only get in at high tide with less draft than a T-10 has.

But back to the original question - I just remembered Adam pruned off one of his fleet and sold it over there last year - one of his turboed Folkboats I think. How did that work Adam?

I think Adam did pretty well in offloading blue moon. If you look on Honolulu craigslist, the boats tend to be more expensive than here, so I think the potential exists to sell your boat there and do okay.

Oh right, a reef! Cool!

I'm sure it won't be dark and I won't be tired when I get there...

Yeah, plus we used to have a requirement to carry a white hand flare in case you finished at night. Then you could be tired AND blind as you were approaching the reef, steering with one hand while holding a burning flare in the other hand. Rules, gotta love 'em.

Slack, are there any other PSSA skippers who are thinking about making the 2012 run? (Probably not after this thread!)

It's still a little early, but haven't heard of anyone else yet. I'm working on a few...

Hardly anyone ever enters the SH Transpac from southern Kalifornia, if you look at percentages of entrants.
    Why??? Not because of potential race problems, a teeny little reef well away from the actual finish line, sometimes severe weather right after the start, etc.

BECAUSE: It's a bitch to sail up to San Francisco Bay from down here!!! If you have a trailerable boat, you're in good shape. Otherwise, start north well before the race...expect delays.

The race is generally not particularly stressfull and it's great fun getting to know all the competitors (and many of their gorgeous ladies).

So y'all come (as we South Carolinians say).

Default Correction

Instead of saying "it's a bitch to sail up to SFO from SoCal", I should have said: "it's ALMOST always a bitch to..."

Awesome!

Now I'm really excited.

I just remembered Adam pruned off one of his fleet and sold it over there last year - one of his turboed Folkboats I think. How did that work Adam?[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys...
    Selling Blue Moon over in Hawaii was not a problem at all...however if you are already considering selling the T10 once you get to Hawaii...I think Alan's "Ankle Biter" approach on setting up a buyer is the way to go if you go that route. I would also agree with Ronnie that boats seem to go for a decent amount of money over there...so ask for more and you may just get it Now as for the REEF...that thing is scary! BEWARE