Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return Logistics

Default We like reefs

After you pass the reef there's a nice little set to the left. If you leave up your chute you could catch a nice ride before you anchor.

Paul/Culebra

Plan B has slowly become Plan A. Unless someone gives me money or a faster boat, it's looking like i'm racing 2012 on the Albin Cumulus. I am planning a short cruise after the race; most likely sailing to Palmyra and Kiritimati and then back to Hawaii and either offloading the boat, staying put, or just heading back to Hong Kong.

Any interest in a race to Palmyra? I am dead serious. Would be probably 5-10 days depending on boat and conditions... I'm sure it would be very unofficial in a Jester Challenge sort of way, but I think it sounds like a good time.

[QUOTE=Harrier;4210]Hardly anyone ever enters the SH Transpac from southern Kalifornia, if you look at percentages of entrants.
    Why??? Not because of potential race problems, a teeny little reef well away from the actual finish line, sometimes severe weather right after the start, etc.

BECAUSE: It's a bitch to sail up to San Francisco Bay from down here!!! If you have a trailerable boat, you're in good shape. Otherwise, start north well before the race...expect delays.
    QUOTE]

Very true, Ken. I know several reputable delivery skippers based in SF Bay and in So Cal. Between those guys and the SHTP community, i'll bet some boats could get delivered up the coast if it made financial and logistical sense to any interested parties... I would hate to see people not race the SHTP because it was a hassle to get their boat up from So Cal...

I am planning on getting to San Francisco from San Diego in 2012 for the Shtp. Planning on getting there in March or April and leaving it there until I return a week before the race starts. Any of you SHTP veterans see a problem with my plans? Also planning on sailing it back to California (weather permitting).

Tushar

Tushar,

No problem with your plan as long as you and your boat are both thoroughly ready to sail to Hawaii and back.
    March and April can get breezy on the Cal. Coast so try to give your self some flexibility on getting her up here.
    I don’t think there is any issue getting a slip around here these days, and there are lots of sailing resources.

Well, the General would know. So you have to pay heed to Harrier. But I also think Phil has it right... to elaborate, March does still deliver some big storms and seas, and you really do have to avoid the big ones. But if you time it right, you could ride southerly winds up the coast with a weak low pressure system, for a little while anyway. Later on in spring, the gradients along the coast often get huge, and I think that's what Harrier is referring to. Not as dangerous as the storms, but winds and seas are big and right on the nose. In any case, you're bound to get some weather for part of it. So I'd suggest studying the very few ports along the way, and plan for contingencies if the weather gets really bad. If the NWerlies are blowing hard, there's Cojo underneath Conception. There's Morro Bay, but the entrance could be awful in a storm. Monterey is good in any weather. Santa Cruz can be a dangerous entrance in a storm. Not well known, but very cool, Ano Nuevo is a nice hideout in NWerlies (anchor away from the kelp beds and don't hit the rock on the left). Pillar Pt is excellent (watch out for the reef, and enter by staying E of the reef at the S end if in a storm, not by going through the reef at the N end near Mavericks). And that's about it. If your boat is in good shape, it sounds like a fine adventure.

Paul/Culebra

Oh... one more thing. It's way colder than a person could possibly imagine during the night. Makes me cold just thinking about it.

Paul

I am considering the race, but have major issues with time, both in getting a new (to me) boat ready and stealing from myself (I lost the illusion that one is free to do as he pleases when self employed is really a delusion, for me at least) Because I would like to do the Baha Ha Ha before I die, I was considering bringing the boat to San Diego, which is about 2700 miles, as opposed to going back to San Francisco, decommissioning the boat (which would be extra expensive as it is a trimaran) and loading it on my trailer. Its probably to big to ship economically. Can anyone give me a reasonable amount of time it might take in late july/early august to sail back, the prevailing winds and conditions. My boat should be reasonably quick, but is not a dedicated racer like a Farrier 31.
    At this point I cannot be considered probable entry, because I do not know how long its going to take me to get the boat operational, but if things come together I might be able to do it.
    Jim
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Can anyone give me a reasonable amount of time it might take in late july/early august to sail back, the prevailing winds and conditions. My boat should be reasonably quick, but is not a dedicated racer like a Farrier 31.
    I would wager an average return time from Hanalei to San Francisco of 18-21 days, roughly. Add to that 2-3 days extra to arrive in San Diego as compared to San Francisco. At least that's been my experience. It depends to a degree on the amount of fuel carried to motor across the southern edge of the Pacific High, and where the High is positioned when you depart Hanalei.

- rob/beetle

Default Port San Louie & San Simeon

I think you can add in Port San Louie (S. of Morro Bay) and San Simeon (N. of Morro Bay. Both are "doable" if Morro Bay's too rough - and it often is that time of year. Morro's entrance is narrow and shallow on both sides, so rollers just roll on across the entrance. Be sure to check with the Morro Bay CG if there's any question. Not a good approach in fog or darkness either without radar.

It's a long slog from the Morro Bay area to Monterey, with real shelter (without specific local knowledge).

Pat Broderick (been there, done that, survived in Loran C days)

Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    So I'd suggest studying the very few ports along the way, and plan for contingencies if the weather gets really bad. If the NWerlies are blowing hard, there's Cojo underneath Conception. There's Morro Bay, but the entrance could be awful in a storm. Monterey is good in any weather. Santa Cruz can be a dangerous entrance in a storm. Not well known, but very cool, Ano Nuevo is a nice hideout in NWerlies (anchor away from the kelp beds and don't hit the rock on the left). Pillar Pt is excellent (watch out for the reef, and enter by staying E of the reef at the S end if in a storm, not by going through the reef at the N end near Mavericks). And that's about it. If your boat is in good shape, it sounds like a fine adventure.

Paul/Culebra