Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photos and Video from Farallones 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    "It's weird when the wind drops to 24 knots and you start wondering where all the breeze went." Now THAT's the start of a slightly scary bedtime story for Dura Mater. Wonder if it will keep her awake at night worrying about next year? I really appreciate the time you take to write about your race experiences. Thank you.
    Yeah --thanks to all who posted pics/links/write ups. Rob, your write up had me right there...great sense of what the race can be like.

Am thinking now that, next year, I'd probably be up to do it doublehanded --if conditions are anything like they were. Hadn't realized that the the Doublehanded Farallons Race isn't run by SSS (not that it matters), and is a month earlier. Must be a cold one...Then again, maybe I'd feel ready for the singlehanded race by next May --but I sure wouldn't be pushing the boat much in those conditions!

Jud, for what it's worth the Singlehanded Farallones race has traditionally been run in April. A couple of years ago we moved it to May because it was easier to find a date with favorable currents without stepping on other ocean races with shorthanded divisions.

Personally I like the May date, if only because there's more daylight, but I've heard two or three complaints. So who knows, we may be back to April next year.

Max

Default Xpresssion Video

See link for Xpression video of the SSS Farallones race.

http://youtu.be/MjWAPWQSnUs

It's hand-held footage so not that great..

Dirk

Default Xpression video

That's a beautiful boat and I appreciate the video. You seem to have handled the conditions well - although you say in the video that it is "still blowing", your hatch door isn't even closed. To get a perspective, tell us, how would those conditions be described (e.g. 7 foot swells every 6 seconds)? Thanks

Actually I didn't handle the conditions that well (from a racing perspective). Using a 100% dacron jib, I was struggling with speed during the higher wind ranges (mid 30s app) upwind. I need to get my new sails soon!
    I don't think the conditions were that bad overall. However going around the Farallones I got for the first time ever (on my boat) a wave that came over the stern into the cockpit and soaked my feet. I didn't wear boots as my boat is really dry, even in windy conditions.
    Your comment on the hatch being open, that was going down wind. Maybe it's better to keep everything closed up but the conditions were not bad at all. I was actually getting the chute ready. I really felt pushing after a mediocre upwind performance. The wind at that time was about 25knots. However it started to increasing again and I decided against it.

Chippewa finally edited some video and posted it up.

Super fun day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6REYBImw2LI

dhusselman,

thats a sweet video. it looks like your boat handled the conditions really well. look forward to getting to know you and the boat as the SHTP grows closer.

Default Chippewa

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post

Super fun day.

Good stuff as usual Ronnie. Nice work on the race.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post

Super fun day.

Great song! Nice work on the video, Ronnie. (Looks like it was a place for voodoo childs, er, children, out there that day! Seeing a video like that makes me wonder how my little boat would fare out there, but it's actually probably a question of how I would fare out there.)

Ronnie,
    Using the 384' height of SE Farallon Island and the 170 degree field of view on a GoPro camera I calculated your distance off to be HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Nice job.

Stephen