Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sails do you prefer?

Don't forget: Most every race will have some worrisome light air while you are still close reaching or even trying to point highest.
    I have always carried a lightweight 155% genny for just such occasions and can't remember a singlehanded transpac race where I didn't make use of it!

Except for the 1984 race where I used a mylar 155% that had come with "Harrier", I have used 3/4 oz, tri-radial gennies. They are easy to handle and take up minimal room when stuffed and stowed...no folding necessary on my tiny foredeck. Try one...you'll like it and walk away from the crowd when those blahs hit!

Also, don't forget the twins. Unlike most other races, the SHTP allows a boat to fly two headsails. I have a dedicated set of twins that are 120% of J made out of 2.2 oz. nylon on a single luff. I keep it on the furler and can use it or a spinnacker as mood, ambition and ability change. It is better than a chute in really strong and really light wind and can't wrap.

Twins may be more of an asset on a heavier boat and less on a light boat that flies an assym.

I had the set made by Lee Sails and they charged about 40% ($900) of what other lofts quoted.

Bill Merrick

Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    ... to oppose the forward force on the mast at the top of the stay do you use check stays/runners, or just depend on the reefed main via its leech and mainsheet? Culebra has check stays, which is nice. How did you reinforce the area of the mast where the stay attaches? This is my primary concern, actually... impossible to get inside the mast right there. I'm thinking some kind of collar.
    Although my J/92 has sockets for both runners and checks, I use neither. One challenge is to not over-tension the solent stay since the furler doesn't like to be slack. I'm still working on getting the right sequence of setting the stay and sail semi-tight, rolling the other headsail on the furler, then tensioning the stay and sail luff completely. I suspect yours would set up differently since Culebra has a masthead rig.

Also, with Culebra's carbon mast I'm sure the attachment issues are more complex. On my boat the stay attaches to the mast 8-10" below the hounds, with a conventional t-ball fitting into a socket. The t-ball is the same size as those for the upper shrouds and is the type with a ring rather than a swage. The Dynex has an eye splice that slips over the ring. The deck end also terminates in an eye splice so if the top starts looking bad I'll end-for-end it.

The jury is still out - it should get a good test during LongPac.

Default Sails or Sailmakers?

The subject of this thread has wandered a bit, but regarding sailmakers I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Kame Richards (Pineapple). I believe Kame is one of the last of the sailmakers who actually builds sails locally. Most other sails are actually made elsewhere, most often offshore. I'm also impressed with how much Kame is an active part of our sailing community and gives back with his time and knowledge.

It is an interesting comment on selecting sailmakers that Gordie Nash (Arcadia) has gone to Kame for his "second set" of sails. Gordie's explanation was quite simple: Kame listens and doesn't just give me stock shapes. For those that don't know, Gordie's mother is a well known sailmaker, formerly associates with a well known international loft in Pt. Richmond. After a very few seasons, Gordie has gone to Pineapple to replace all of his sails.

Quite simply, support your local sailing industry or they may not be there when you need them.

Tom
    Dazzler

P.S. Full disclosure: in the early 70's I was a sailmaker crawling around on my knees for North Sails.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 06-13-2011 at 11:47 PM.