Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Weather

Cool LongPac Weather

Hey LongPackers,
    I assume we're all looking at the weather for July 6 plus. Any thoughts/chatter about what we're likely to encounter on our way out to 126º 40'? It's 9 days away, so coming soon. Not much chatter at all about the race.
    Pat
    "NANCY"

The most distant GRIB files are currently for July 4th.

They show the wind direction trending more to the NNW and in the mid-twenties max. Nothing at this time suggests a drifter, and gale alley stays north of us, but barely.

I just got the KISS-SSB counterpoise installed and talked to Tiger Beetle on the way home from HMB yesterday. I might have to compose a new song to serenade the fleet. The last time that happened was the return from the 2006 SHTP and I was told to keep my day job.

Speaking of chatter, Pat, and of Bob's new counterpoise (and not of singing), I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in staging a mock radio check-in this coming weekend, with race boats somewhere off the coast, and if possible, with Dream Chaser in her race day berth. Long shot, I know. But it would be fun and instructional. I'm also a bit worried about RF noise in Dream Chaser's berth, but maybe John has that figured out?? Is anyone interested? John?

On the subject of weather... well, I've been practicing putting in my third reef on these blustery days on the bay we've had recently. I even hoisted the storm headsail the other day to see where it would sheet in a blow... and to admire the pretty international orange. I sure enjoyed last Saturday's sail down to HMB, wow, what pleasant weather and seas. I'm not expecting we'll be so lucky next week.

Paul/Culebra

Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    I'm also a bit worried about RF noise in Dream Chaser's berth
    Depends what John had for dinner.

Explain what you're thinking about a mock radio check-in, or we can discuss at the meeting tomorrow night - I don't understand but I'm happy to participate (kind of like my life, actually).

Tiger Beetle will be happy to participate in an SSB check-in, though it's not clear if we're going offshore or not. The problem is the race directly follows a three day weekend (for those of us that churn out the gross national product), and going up to Drakes Bay for the weekend would only leave Tuesday to reconfigure Beetle from liveaboard-cruiser into offshore racer - and I suspect that one day will not be sufficient for the change-over.

So I'm thinking of going sailing Saturday/Sunday, then using Monday/Tuesday to pull gear not needed for the race.

What would be a good time Saturday and/or Sunday to meet on the SSB?

And as regards weather, the GFS model will produce grib data out 10 days - and it's still way to early to think about what to do or where to go. I'll probably have a plan about the time I cross the start line, and that's likely to change again about the light bucket, and change again somewhere in the vicinity (or not) of the Farallones...

- rob/beetle

Default LongPac Weather - Friday Afternoon

Okay, LongPackers, we're beginning to get an idea of what's going on 100/200 offshore during the first several days of the race. Any thoughts on what you're seeing in your GRIB files?
    Pat

right now a good pair of oars seems like a fine idea. most of what i'm seeing suggests light to very light air wednesday in the gulf of the farallones.

When we all get set back into the bay with the flood tomorrow morning, we could meet up on the barge for a party. AJ and John, you will have the barge ready, won't you?

Ugh... Gulf of the Farallones

------------------------

Wednesday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SW 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell...WNW 2 ft at 9 seconds and SW 1 ft at 12 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Wednesday Night: SW wind 5 to 8 kt. Patchy fog after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 2 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Thursday: SW wind 5 to 9 kt. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Thursday Night: WSW wind 6 to 9 kt. Patchy fog after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Friday: SW wind 6 to 10 kt. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and SW 1 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Friday Night: W wind 7 to 10 kt. Patchy fog after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Bring some good reading...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I bet a whole lotta folks is going to go out NORTH of the SW Farallones.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"