Thread: 2011 LongPac Transponder Tracking Page

Default 2011 LongPac Transponder Tracking Page

http://track.pacificcup.org/longpac.php

The 2011 LongPac Transponder Tracking Page is not part of our usual race management system, so some exploration of what works may be your only recourse. Those with experience watching the PacCup unfold in previous years may have an easier time with this.

Thanks to Matt Beall, here is one totally non intuitive quirk: the clear button does not work with all, ( maybe none?) browsers. To clear the display and start again in what you see, hit the refresh button on your browser, then hit the clear button on your screen.

If you end up with a mess, just hit your browser refresh button and then hit the clear button on the screen.

Your mileage may vary with our computer platform, browser, and phase of the moon.

At 2:30 pm Wed July 6th here is what is visible:

Marc Deppe on Alchera, Rob of Tiger Beetle, Bob Johnston on Ragtime are using borrowed transponders refreshing, probably every hour all 24. Not sure as Matt did not program them.

Neither transponder on Arcadia seemed to work, so not sure what will kick in, if ever, should he reposition the transponder.

Grace is out of the race, retired.

Crazy Rhythm looks like he came back, but not yet retired.

All other will update every two hours rom 5 am to 10 pm This was done to save total message expenses.

To be continued.

John of Blueberry

John,

Thanks for the help with the transponder tracking page...I am not familiar with the PacCup system.

Can you provide some additional detail? It appears that the track is delayed by about 8 hours...is that correct? And it would be helpful to understand if the speed info is cumulative or if it is only for the last hour or so. Any other info would be helpful.

I was not able to listen to the roll call last evening and am curious about the conditions the fleet is seeing. Any news to share?

Thanks

Edit: the 7:00am positions were just posted so perhaps there is not any delay in position postings!
    Last edited by Libations Too; 07-07-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    Richard
    Libations Too

Default Transponder Tracking Page

Here is the method that I currently use to get the information needed from the tracking page at: http://track.pacificcup.org/longpac.php

1) Immediately hit the Clear All link on the left.
    2) Click on the Expand All link on the left.
    3) Click on the Show Div for the division you would like to see.
    4) Click the + sign to zoom in on the area of the map where the boat you want is located.
    5) Mouse over and click on the boat you would like to track. The list of transponder signals is displayed at the bottom of the page. The latest information the transponders has sent is displayed at the top of the page.
    6) After having moused over and clicking on a boat, the page needs to be refreshed using F5 or the browser refresh button and repeat steps 1-5.

To answer the questions below:

"It appears that the track is delayed by about 8 hours...is that correct?"

No. The delay is set for every 2 hours from 7a.m. to 10p.m.
    (Except for Alchera, Tiger Beetle and Ragtime. They are set for every 1 hour as long as the boat is moving and the signal is received. They are using loaner transponder that were programmed separately)

The long delay overnight is a mistake on my part. It would have been better to have a similar 1 hour delay with all the transponders triggered by boat motion.

The speed displayed is a mystery to me how it is computed. I'll ask Michael about this question.

As for a race update, I have asked for this info from the race deck and will post as much info as I can as soon as I get it.

Matt Beall
    SSS Web Admin
    Transponder Wrangler
    Skipper of Tinker and wishing I was sailing

Default LongPac Tracker Status Page

This page has the latest data used for the map: http://track.pacificcup.org/longpac.status.php Maybe it will add to the confusion but might help inform some people tracking the race.

Arcadia, I tried to get 2 transponders and both seem to be not working. I'm not sure what is causing the failure.

Grace has dropped out of the race. I'm not sure about Crazy Rhythm.

The other transponders reported around 7 a.m. and will send again around 9 a.m. updating the page above.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Has Nancy turned around and is heading home, or is that just a glitch?

Damn I wish I was out there instead of where I am!

Best of luck to all!

Default Re: Nancy

The tracks showing people going back are not a glitch, after hearing the latest from AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Damn I wish I was out there instead of where I am!
    I dunno about that, from all the boats heading back it sounds like they're stuck in a hole - or taking a beating!

Bob is really steaming along like nobody's business.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

So many retirements! Must be some real asskicking going on out there. Sailflow sure doesn't show that for today.

Clearly, Bob was paying attention at the Stan Honey talk and internalized all that stuff about the synoptic wind.

Default Tracking Page is Back

Well, things became all too much for our poor server. In fact, what seems to have happened was that a log file got a hundred lines added to it every time a point of either the longpac or transpac got recorded or looked at.

This was because of a "warning" in the system. 13 gigabytes of warning, as it turned out. Filled up the hard drive and stalled the database. Boom. Instant death.

AJ called, and I got this fixed. Cleared out some junk, restarted the database, and then deleted the horribly long log file. Also, changed the tracking page so it does not use the database directly and also does not report stupid warnings.

In all, we were out for a bit over an hour.

Thanks to the above for comments that will make the page easier to use. This is a new system designed to be more user friendly.