Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Half Moon Bay Race

Default Half Moon Bay Race

As usual, Half Moon Bay YC will be serving a barbecue dinner for SSS sailors and guests after our race Aug. 6. The menu is:

(choice of entree) Steak, chicken or Portobello mushroom (for the vegematics)
    Baked potato
    Corn on the cob
    Salad
    Dessert

This year you need to reserve your own dinners directly. The cost is $15 if you reserve by Tuesday Aug. 2, $20 thereafter.

Contact Cynthia Ramseyer, HMBYC Staff Commodore with your number of dinners and choice of entree at:
    2blackcats (at) comcast.net
    or 415-519-1915
    Don't delay!
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I've confirmed with my crew and we are looking forward to the race! I guess race day will be an excellent chance to get in that DH spin handling session I've been trying to schedule for so long.

See you all there!

David
    Olson 34 Temerity

For a bit of adventure, we are planning on anchoring out and rowing our dinghy to shore. I assume the HMB YC docks are functional? Will anyone else be anchoring out?

Cheers,

David
    Olson 34 Temerity

To what did my wondering eyes appear
    But a motorized ferry hauling sailors and beer!
    (Sorry)

HMBYC's docks are in shallow water - they tie the Cal 20's and C-15's to them - but the ferry is upgraded and working.

We anchored out there on the way back from Spin Cup, then took a slip in the harbor after the OYRA race. It's a longish walk around to the yacht club from the harbor but I'll probably do that again so I don't have to impose on you guys for a lift.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Dura Mater loves shallow water, and she plays well with other Cal 20s. Do you think I might be able to tie up to the yacht club dock? I'll be so late coming in ...

I'd contact Cynthia (see Max's first post above) and ask. They're quite an accomodating bunch down there.

The dock is the shorter one in John Foster's satellite photo, right in front of the club.

Default HMB dock

In the past it has been first come first serve, though the shallow depth limits the boats that can actually use it. I think they have a fleet of Cal20s on it.

Note to the "Ragtime!" race file:

1) If you think you fouled someone but didn't actually hear the word "protest," just ASK the other skipper before doing turns.

2) The other skipper holding up two fingers does NOT mean "Do two turns buddy."

3) Doing a 720 in ocean chop, with a 155 up, single-handed, when your autopilot freezes in the middle of the second turn, and you didn't need to do it anyway, REALLY sucks . . .

4) Broadcasting all of this to the fleet on the VHF may cause it to go into SSS folklore (I hope not!)

Hey, that was a fun race. It would'a been funner with sun and more downwind but you can't have them all.

Thanks to the SSS race committee and HMB club for putting on a great weekend for us.

BTW, does anyone know how to upload tracks to the jibeset thingie?

peace, out
    bw
    Cal 39-2 "Sea Star"

Well, our trim was pretty out for the first 1/3, and we didn't peel to the #1 until way late (made a HUGE difference), but we did OK, and I had a great time sailing with my kid and socializing after.

Never set the spin, angles all wrong till the last mile or less.

Had too much to drink before dinner, so didn't join the afterparty -- next time, maybe.
    Last edited by pogen; 08-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.