Thread: Liferaft for sale?

Default Liferaft for sale?

Anyone have a good 4-6 person liferaft in a hard case for sale in time for Transpac 2012?

Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow
    csrgone@astound.net

Default Raft available

Cliff,
    I have a 6man offshore raft in a canister you could have. Good condition, but needs to be repacked.
    ed

I'm definately interested! Can I call you, or you can reach me at 925-939-2490. Thanks. Cliff

Default Literacy for sale?

Cliff, if this free raft doesn't work out, west have one for sale. Candace. Thersbys@yahoo.com

Default Liferaft

SCOTT: I didn't hear from you -- are you still interested in the liferaft we discussed at the Transpac seminar?

Cliff
    CSRGONE@Astound.net

One of the bigger financial mistakes I made in prepping for the SHTP was buying a liferaft. I didn't do the math of owning vs. renting. The purchase price ($3,000+), annual inspection costs ($400+/race = $2,000) and the cost of replacing the CO2 bottle ($1,200)is almost certainly greater, over a five year (two races) period than renting a raft 2 times. Even if you race in three Long Pacs, renting is still less money.

Like everything else, there are many variables.

What kind of boat?
    How many times will a raft be needed between races.
    How often does the raft need to be inspected? What is the inspection cost?

I bought a raft for the 2004 SHTP. By 2009, It was cheaper to rent a raft for the LP than have my raft inspected because the CO2 bottle would have needed to be replaced - about $1600 or 4x the cost of a 1 week rental.

I usually choose buy over rent but in this case, rent wins.

Bill Merrick

Cool Raft

I have had the same raft for 12 plus years. Never had to replace the bottle. They occasionally need to be hydroed (like scuba tanks). This is not particularly expensive,; just adds a liitle extra time to the process. BUT, if all you're going to "need" it for is a couple of transpacs, renting is probably the way to go. Had it not been for singlehanded transpacs, I probably would never have bought one! Cruised the 10,000 mile milk run through French Polynesia without one in 1978.....

Default Liferaft -- Free to Good Home

The six person Avon liferaft Ed (see earlier post) gave me is again available for free. I inspected it with Sal, and he tested it, and had to replace one overpressure relief valve. The raft is 21 years old and lacks some of the newer bells & whistles such as inflatable entry ramp/ladder, but the fabric and all seams are as new.It needs a full pack and new bottle and new style inflation valve, but Sal said he is sure he has a good used bottle around that he would provide for the cost of hydrotesting it, plus the cost of the new style inflation valve. Sal quoted $1769 and change to service and re-pack.This is in a rectangular canister measuring 22 1/2" X 32 7/8" X 12". Definitely do the math as Bill and General suggest, considering your planned usage and the raft's service interval. This one will need repacking yearly at $400-$500, and around $1000 - $1500 if I recall correctly after year three. So in three years it will have cost about $3669-4169, and will be 24 years old. I wound up buying a new raft since I think I will have the boat offshore often and long enough over the next 10 years to beat rental costs and maybe outlive the 21 year old Avon. It is also a 4 person raft, so is lighter and smaller to stow.If anyone is interested in the freebie, you're welcome to it. Cliff Rainbow csrgone@astound.net 925-939-2490

Default Results may Vary

Like everything about boats, results, including the math on liferafts, may vary depending on too many details to list. It occurred to me that one of the things that I've had and heard consistent good results from is dealing with Sal's. Sal has been around forever and actively participates in supporting the local sailing community including being a SHTP sponsor. If I have a question about liferafts, I ask Sal and take his advice at face value.

Bill Merrick