Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LatePac??

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default LatePac??

Hi All,

As we know, this year's brutal LongPac likely meant that some number of people looking to do the LP as their SHTP qualifier were not able to complete that requirement.

Has there been any thought about when one might do a LatePac? I'm thinking about October, though first I need to even do my SH Farallones equivalent.

Thanks

David

I'm planning on a latePac around Sept. 9th weather permitting. I't would be nice to sail with a few other latePacr's, to have regular radio check-ins.

Cool LatePac

You must have missed some of the previous chats on the subject of qualifying for the Singlehanded Transpac Race. Just go do it. Chech with PhiL MacFarland for further elaboration...........

Errr, OK. I'm going to try and bag the SH Farallones this weekend. Complete crew no-show for Sarcoma Cup. Long Live SSS!

I think what "Harrier" means is you don't need to do a SH Farallones first - SHF is only a qualifier to do the LongPac as a race. In fact, you don't need to comply with every jot and tittle of the Long Pac equipment requirements (although in theory they are there for a reason).

If the weather looks good, I'd take extra food/water etc. and plan for the 400 miles. If all is going well, wave to the great whites at the Farallones and keep going. Just keep a log (forms are on the 2010 SHTP page).

Hey Ken, did you see your glamour shot on the Half Moon Bay thread?
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-24-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Cool LatePac

Sure did, Bob. Little dirt on the lens, perhaps, making me look older? Actually, Lee said I looked tired when I got in (judging from the picture, I guess since she hadn't arrived yet). Actually it was due to flying the chute all nite to makae sure Max didn't save his time on me, coping with a broken afterguy in the middle of the nite (a first!) and such other mundane preps for enjoying my favorite place on the planet! Came there first in 1978 from Bora Bora and said "this place is much nicer...and American!).

Thanks Bob. It's a good idea, but the boat is just coming out of the yard and I feel better going in baby steps. Still shaking out some issues with A/P power consumption etc. Although the way work has been going recently, I should just go and keep on going! Good reminder also on keeping an official log.

Default Date ?

Hey Dave,

Is this really happening ?

Dates solid ?

Ugggggggg....

Big delay now as the boat yard broke my A/P (while painting the bottom, of all things), as well as leaving a rag in the engine raw water intake through hull, so hardcore solo sailing is out for a couple of weeks.

Also ongoing crew development issues (mostly my fault, I am sure!) make shorthanding more and more attractive all the time!

After the demise of Windjammers, we also chose to punt on Jazz Cup and instead had a little family cruise, I'm trying to lure the younger daughter back into at least helming from time-to-time as her older sister is now away at college and unable to crew.
    Last edited by pogen; 09-06-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Default AP Bent !

That is ugly....I hate to think how painting the bottom bent the hydraulics ?

Were they painting with a forklift ?

Okay, I was considering a late pac myself, sounds like fun to get out close to trades and catch a tuna.

Speaking of AP's, I have added the Ray X5 to my vessel. I have hydraulics and electric drive (redundant) above deck. Once dialed in I find the X5 is pretty competent at handling assigned sailing angles. Did a run up to vallejo with spin up in winds to 20, the AP tracked well. Quite an improvement in either drive mode.

Brian