Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 Northern Century

Cool Not the hurricane

My brother died last week and his funeral was today with interrment in the National Cemetary in Beaufort, SC. Historically, the cemetary was established in 1863 by Lincoln's order. Beaufort had been captured by the yankees from the sea and they needed a spot to plant a bunch of them, along with 125 confederate troops. That fact spared Beaufort from further damage from Sherman on his later march to Atlanta.

Dinsmore was DNF in the race mentioned because he diverted to Oahu due to damage incurred...I believe it was a broken boom.

Sorry to hear about your brother Ken. Glad they still had room for him at Beaufort.

Cool Thanks

Thanks, Phil.
    A beautiful old cemetary, many trees, etc. Plenty of room...for a while.
    He was a sailor too...lots of Chesapeake Bay stuff. I retired from the Army while sailing with him on the first Mass to Bermuda Cruising Race in 1977. Was on my terminal leave. He also sailed with me LA to Hilo in my old wooden Dutch 30 footer. That was actually a fin keel, spade rudder fractional rig...Van de Stadt design built in 1959. Would have made a good entry in SHTP (great PHRF !) but I wore it out in 5 Ensenada Races, a 10,000 mile circuit LA thru French Polynesia and 3 trips to HI. Oh well...a good learning device, in more ways than one.