Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '08 race entries

With only DOGBARK and HECLA meeting RRC 18.6 (shall not cross an ocean in a boat shorter in feet than skipper's age in years), I have it on good authority that the Starbucks Halfway Barge will be offering not only three hours free tieup, iced lattes, and jet skis, but also Ensure smoothies, hearing aid batteries, and freshly laundered drool bibs.

Given average age of skippers, I politely suggest division of fleet into classes: >60 Grand Methuselahs, 50-60 Rip Van Winkles, <50 Diaper Dandies

~sleddog

Enough is enough!!!! I can't restrain myself any longer........I think it's about time everybody got their bio's up for the rest of us to have a look at

Nobody else likes writing them either...but how else are we to see the character flaws in our fellow competitors if you don't expose them to the fleet???

Jim/Haulback

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    With only DOGBARK and HECLA meeting RRC 18.6 (shall not cross an ocean in a boat shorter in feet than skipper's age in years), I have it on good authority that the Starbucks Halfway Barge will be offering not only three hours free tieup, iced lattes, and jet skis, but also Ensure smoothies, hearing aid batteries, and freshly laundered drool bibs.

Given average age of skippers, I politely suggest division of fleet into classes: >60 Grand Methuselahs, 50-60 Rip Van Winkles, <50 Diaper Dandies

~sleddog
    Can I wear a tartan diaper?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default 08 entrants and PCRs

I've gotten a couple of inquiries about the PCR numbers for the racers, and why are they different from years past. Here to answer all your questions is Professor Antrim.

Professor....

Every year we have one more year of race history and I try to review the historical data to see if the formulas can be improved for a better fit. The last time I made such a change was for the 2004 race. Prior to 2004, the 375 factor in the LF formula was 345. Wildflower had a PCR of 216 in 2002. Calculated with the new formula that goes to 211, based on the numbers on his certificate at that time. With the current certificate, I see that the waterline has gone from 21.5 to 22, perhaps just a roundoff somewhere along the line. Also PHRF has gone from 186 to 183. With those two changes, PCR goes to 208.

BTW, it is possible that I will review the data again this year and propose another change. I would not call that likely to happen. If it does, I'll let you know.

Hope that helps!
    Jim

Effective Length: L= LWL+0.35*(LOA-LWL)

Displacement/Length Ratio: DLR= (Disp/2240)/((L/100)^3)

Displacement/Length Factor (DLF):

For DLR less than 75, DLF = 0

For DLR from 75 to 150, DLF= (DLR-75)/3

For DLR from 150 to 200, DLF= 25+(DLR -150)*0.10

For DLR greater than 200, DLF = 30;

DLF is rounded up to the next larger integer.

Length Factor (LF):

LF = 0.5 * (375 – (3600/(1.34 * sqrt(L))) + PHRF)

If LF<0 then LF = 0

LF is rounded up to the next greater integer.

Rating: PCR = 486 + (PHRF + DLF - LF) * 0.95

I have posted an excel PCR calculator on the TransPac web site. It preforms this math magikly before your very eyes.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Last edited by Eyrie; 05-09-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Default Average age of racers -- 53

I recall that, somewhere in Moby Dick, "old" Captain Ahab says that he's 58. We are almost old enough (on average) to hunt the White Whale!

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral