Thread: 2012 race schedule - provisional

Default 2012 race schedule - provisional

In response to many requests, here it is:

Jan. 28 Three Bridge Fiasco
    Apr. 7 Corinthian Race
    May 12 Singlehanded Farallones
    June 30 Singlehanded TransPac starts
    Aug. 25 Half Moon Bay
    Sep. 8 Richmond - South Beach (or a new course in the bay)
    Oct. 6-7 Vallejo 1-2

Still subject to change, but I think we have good odds of keeping these dates.

Max

Default Thanks for scheduling this so early !

Thanks Max,

BTW, many moons ago the SSS went to Coyote point. As I recall this was a replacement race for Vallejo ??

I mention this as I enjoyed that run to CP. Maybe consider it for an alternate to the South Beach race ?

Brian

I would race to coyote point . They will host a party. They have a large back yard. Large BBQ pit.
    An exciting beam to broad reach.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Didn't the South Beach race used to end in the Estuary, maybe long, long ago? Party potential at OYC or EYC. Also potential fun dodging all the civilian and ship traffic in confined quarters with the spin up. Makes for a short home delivery for some of us though.

Default Estury

I believe I was in the last race down the Estuary. What I witnessed was a ship having to take collision avoidance moves and the pilot later reported he nearly grounded the vessel to prevent hitting a sailing vessel. I believe this led to moving the race out of the Port of Oakland area. But maybe I have the history mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Didn't the South Beach race used to end in the Estuary, maybe long, long ago? Party potential at OYC or EYC. Also potential fun dodging all the civilian and ship traffic in confined quarters with the spin up. Makes for a short home delivery for some of us though.

Brian has it exactly right. Several of us got too close to a ship for his comfort, and we felt it would be prudent to stay out of the Estuary.

At our meeting a couple of weeks ago, somebody suggested that adding another mark near the SF side would pull boats to windward of the ship traffic, letting us sail down the Estuary while reducing the possibility of interference. But there's still the potential issue of some boats being disadvantaged if they happen to be coming down while a ship is using the turning basin.

I like sailing down the Estuary too, but for some of us South Beach makes for a very short delivery home!

Max

I like sailing down the Estuary too, but for some of us South Beach makes for a very short delivery home!
    And for many of us the Estuary is the short delivery.

There was only one year where there were issued with SSS competitors and shipping traffic. The East-Bay Estuary Race was in effect for a decade+ before that with no issues. I was sad to see it changed. However, the Richmond-South Beach version had worked well so far so I see no reason to change it again.

The only issue I've ever had with shipping traffic was in the Richmond-South Beach race after coming under the Bay Bridge a ship came off the anchorage directly at me and my outboard refused to start with no wind. Man I was sweating bullets on that one.

Talking Sausalito Finish???

How about a race that Finishes near - or even in - Sausalito? Something that would Start and Finish near the entrance to Clipper Yacht Harbor, Basin 3. Just think, for all the East Bay/Richmond boats a nice downwind leg going home?
    Pat "the Sausalito Promotion Guy"

Wink

I'll play. Redwood City, 20+ plus miles down wind!

Default January 28th, 2012 Three Bridge Fiasco

I've posted on the SSS home page the January 28th, 2012 date for the Three Bridge Fiasco since there is little chance of it getting changed.

Once the YRA gives us a list of radio channels, we can get the additional sailing instructions done. The new membership signup stuff is being done. All the pieces are falling into place.

I am going to work on the race deck this year since I've been able to enjoy the last six years racing in the Three Bridge Fiasco races. They have always been a blast and I like being a part of keeping this going for all the other members. Racing doublehanded last year with the former owner of my boat was even more fun than the previous five years racing singlehanded.

We will make the 2012 Three Bridge Fiasco the Best Ever!!!

Matt Beall
    SSS Web Admin
    Skipper of Tinker
    Last edited by Matt; 11-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.