Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 rules posted

Bob, from what I hear about some of those glass floats, they stink almost as much as cadavers but, you've got a point about the pick up. You can't clean up a cadaver and keep it in your trophy case.

Bill Merrick

Default lifeline discussion

I've really enjoyed the very civil back and forth between Bob J and Richard V regarding the recent lifeline rules change on Pressure Drop. Too bad it couldn't have taken place in this forum.

Thanks Jackie. As you read, I encouraged Richard to post his concerns here but apparently there's a problem accepting new SSS forum registrants.

Default Hey, it works.

In coastal waters, racing or not, singlehanding or not, where other sailors are likely to be nearby (like a Farallones race), I do think it's a sailor's duty (sounds stuffy, but it's sincere) to be prepared to rescue another sailor in the water. The SSS rules committee I think correctly interpreted their job to promote this "rule" of seamanship IMHO, for this set of races. It's their job to take a stand, and actually, I think, to set a standard, which they emphatically did. To be fair, sure a skipper can exercise their autonomy to effectively prepare their boats and skills any way they like, and do a very fine job of it. But just not in an organized event. In the organized event you get rules and standards. Nothing new here. Ugh. And, totally fair.

Anyway, to the point: Try sidling up to a crew overboard in the ocean and grabbing them with just a boathook or by tossing a heft of line. No thanks. The lifesling concept allows you to circle the COB so you can effectively snatch them in a seaway. And then it gives them floatation because they're totally exhaused by now. I suspect this is the standard the rules committee was aiming for. If you aren't familiar with how the lifesling works, scroll forward to 3 min on this video (or watch the whole thing if you can tolerate Rousmaniere's very boring delivery, but hey, he's the king of seamanship so we have to cut him some slack, right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhjOhWD4j0

Paul/Culebra

Second to Culebra's post. It don't have to be lifesling-brand IMHO, but it is an effective, low-cost device.

bw

Paul,

I don't get it, I have a ring buoy and a horseshoe buoy on my transom. They each cost me $20. The ring is attached to 25' of polypro line, and I've played around with towing it around in a circle just like in the video - it works fine. The only benefit of the $400 lifesling seems to be you can then use it as a harness to pull your COB out of the water. But you could have a separate device on board for this purpose - say 3ft of webbing ($3), or even a piece of line that you tie a couple eyes in ($0) - that you pass around the COB when he's been brought alongside, then hook him to a halyard and haul away. That's been my plan at least... The Lifesling is an elegant package, but it seems like you're just paying for their marketing.

Adrian

Cool Life sling requirement

My thoughts exactly, Adrian. Which is why I questioned the requirement for a "specific" commercial product "way back when". The main point in my mind is: "Do you have a means of doing what we want you to be able to do?"
    Demonstrate that, and you should be OK! The plot thickens...?

Just to be clear, I'm not speaking for the committee, just offering my thoughts on the subject. I too think a brand shouldn't be specified, and I would agree that there are some (not many) homemade solutions that work perfectly well. But my point is that the committee correctly exercised their job of defining a requirement that assures their desired outcome, which in this case was obviously a very high standard of safety. There are no boat inspections to validate if a skipper's home grown approach meets the standard. I happen to agree that the standard should be high, so with that premise in mind, either you write a rule that is unambiguous, as they did, or you get very clever in describing the allowed substitutes (which I concede has some appeal). But if you go with the latter, then you probably don't achieve the desired outcome fully.

The smaller Lifesling costs $129. W/out the block+tackle. Which is still plenty if you're on a budget.

Paul/Culebra

Cool Lifesling

Good points, Paul. It would seem that many "rules" are driven by the difficulty of deciding whether the eqipment specified will accomplish the desired result. Requiring the Lifesling sidesteps that problem. All very academic to me, since I don't race locally with you guys...ha ha.
    By the way, where did the "coastal cruiser" tab under "Harrier" come from?

Many of these computer forums give you a "status" that changes as you accumulate certain numbers of posts. For example, you might start out as "New Member" and when you reach 20 posts you become "Not-so-New Member" and at a 1,000 posts you become "Expert Veteran" or some such.

I post on another sailing forum where the status labels are based on the stages of development of the male anatomy. On that one (and here) I asked the Forum Admin to permanently change my status to "J/92 Ragtime!" which somehow seemed more useful than "Testies Dropping." As I write this, I note that our distinguished Commodore currently enjoys the latter status on that other forum. But not to worry - if he continues to post over there, he will soon become a "Group 3 Studmuffin."
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-05-2012 at 09:14 AM.