Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 rules posted

Default 2012 rules posted

The 2012 Notice of Race and Standing Sailing Instructions are now available for download. See the link on the front page. Look them over closely, as there are some changes.

Most notably, in our ocean races all boats will be required to have lifelines. Last year we exempted boats under 30 feet. The lifelines will have to meet ISAF offshore specs, with the exception that we'll grandfather in vinyl-coated lifelines for one more year.

You'll also need a Lifesling for ocean races, even if you're singlehanding. This is to make it easier for you to rescue me if I fall off my boat. Thanks in advance.

The season points system is going back to the old setup, with points weighted by the size of the entry. And you don't need to be an SSS member to score points; it just saves you money.

Speaking of money, we're holding the line on membership and entry fees.

Our race in September is going to start and finish at Berkeley. Looks like BYC will put on a casual dinner for us after the race, so please pull in and take advantage of the opportunity to socialize. Thanks to our Race Info Officer Jackie Philpott for taking the lead on organizing this event.

The Three Bridge Fiasco kicks off our season as usual, on Jan. 28. Don't assume that you're starting at the same time as last year: all the start times will be 30 minutes earlier. Hopefully this will reduce the number of unidentified boats finishing after dark, and give your cousin Clarence with his 1963 Calanado 28 a better shot of making the cutoff.

We're also going to let cousin Clarence enter one race without a PHRF certificate. Who knows what a Calanado 28 will rate, but at least he can try shorthanded racing for a minimal cash outlay and see if he likes it.

Stay tuned for the Additional Sailing Instructions for the individual races. They should all be posted before the first of the year, and Three Bridge entries will be open by then also.

Thanks to the SSS Board and the Safety Committee for their hard work putting together the program for 2012.

And remember, we always need volunteers for the race deck! And I'm always looking for speakers for our meetings.

Have a great year.
    Commodore Max

Cool Lifesling

Is the required "Lifesling" a specific commercial item...or may we "invent" something?

Not required for SHTP Ken - SHTP rules trump these local race SSI's.

Cool Lifesling

Thanks Bob. Thought we had another "hoop". Could be useful tho, but pretty rare in our situations.

I'm glad it's not required for SHTP, but as the General asked, "is this required to be a commercial item?" Can we not use a spin sheet of appropriate length, or poly-pro line, or something? I was planning on doing the Singlehanded Farallones and would hate to have to invest in a LifeSling, so close to the start of Transpac, and then carry the bulky thing on my very small yacht during the Farallones race.

I wasn't part of the Safety Committee, so I hope that one of them will respond and outline their discussion and thinking on this question.

Max

Well the Singlehanded Farallones is the one race where one might be used to rescue another singlehanded sailor. You can probably borrow one for the day, I've got several if needed.

Default Lifesling = Lifesling

The Safety Committee (I was part of it) would like to see a proper commercial LifeSling - not something invented by our inventive skippers.

As part of the SSS Standing Sailing Instructions, this requirement exists only for the SSS Farallones and SSS Half Moon Bay races - not needed for SSS races inside the bay, and the rule has nothing to do with SSS TransPac and SSS LongPac races (the last two races have their own rule sets).

A LifeSling might have a few more features than, say, a trailing length of polypropylene. They are not enormously expensive - $125 at the local west marine and not-so-local defender, though not that cheap, either. They are bulky, and need to be mounted on the stern rail to be useful.

If you only need it for the one race, see if one can be borrowed for the day from someone on your dock. I've had success with this over the years when I needed a life raft or an epirb, strikes me that a lifesling would be even easier to borrow from a friend. And don't forget to tie the bitter end to the boat...

- rob/beetle

What if my boat doesn't have a stern pulpit? Oh, I forgot. There's a lifeline requirement for my Cal 20 this year, so I won't be able to sail in the Half Moon Bay this year anyway. I had a really good time sailing in it last year. Thanks, fellas. I feel safer already. Jackie Philpott, Race Information Officer, SSS

At Blue Pelican Marine, one can purchase a used lifesling for substantially less than new. They repackage into new outer bag. Most of the wear is on the outer bag from UV, and the lifesling itself is quite new looking. The owners are friends of mine, but I believe this is a good way to go.

Todd Olsen