Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 rules posted

Default Don't despair

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What if my boat doesn't have a stern pulpit? Oh, I forgot. There's a lifeline requirement for my Cal 20 this year, so I won't be able to sail in the Half Moon Bay this year anyway. I had a really good time sailing in it last year. Thanks, fellas. I feel safer already. Jackie Philpott, Race Information Officer, SSS
    Maybe you want to join JetStream on the new 'excluded boat' division, we can do our own scoring. Wouldn't want to miss one of my favorite races.

What?! No points? No hats? You bet! I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    I'm glad it's not required for SHTP, but as the General asked, "is this required to be a commercial item?" Can we not use a spin sheet of appropriate length, or poly-pro line, or something? I was planning on doing the Singlehanded Farallones and would hate to have to invest in a LifeSling, so close to the start of Transpac, and then carry the bulky thing on my very small yacht during the Farallones race.
    They come in 2 sizes. I have a smaller one that I kept after selling Tenacity, my swift and trim SC27 "yacht." It will fit on your leaner and meaner "101" if you want to borrow it.

Paul

Default Berkeley Start/Finish ?!?

Our race in September is going to start and finish at Berkeley.
    This is going to be a huge problem for many boats. Berkeley is SHALLOW and I left that marina a decade ago since I'd often be stuck on the bottom with a draft of 6.8' on Starbuck...... now I have a boat that draws 7.3'. Why change the race venue AGAIN ?
    Last edited by solosailor; 12-25-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Looks like the Berkeley start/finish would be well outside the breakwater.....

Thanks for the offer and the info, paul. I wasnt aware that they made a smaller one.

>>(I was part of it) would like to see a proper commercial LifeSling.

Are you trying to save me from myself or did you invest in the company. Thanks for more regulations we don't need. (profanity deleted but you deserve it).

Quote Originally Posted by marinergeek View Post
    >>(I was part of it) would like to see a proper commercial LifeSling.

Are you trying to save me from myself or did you invest in the company. Thanks for more regulations we don't need. (profanity deleted but you deserve it).
    The purpose of the lifesling is not for you to save you from yourself, but rather to make it more likely that a singlehander could recover a skipper or crew member that fell off another boat. The thinking is that the boats most likely to provide immediate assistance are those in close proximity, and on these two courses the closest people to you (if you're the one in the water) are likely to be your competitors. The members of the SSS Safety Committee thought this was a good idea and worth adding to the standing sailing instructions for SSS races outside the Gate.

And thanks for the positive attitude.

- rob/beetle

Marinergeek is obviously an internet troll looking for a reaction and should have their IP banned.

Fussin' about any new rules is an annual ritual - I've done my share of it.

I've had a LifeSling for 10 years and usually have it ready to deploy. After a bunch of tests it was found to be the most effective MOB recovery tool, mainly because it provides a means to get the victim attached to the boat and ready to bring on board. I have the dedicated block-and-tackle that goes with it, to be able to hoist someone over the lifelines.

I'm not a fan of adding more rules but this is a good one. The SSS has always been about looking after each other out there. A LifeSling and monitoring Ch. 16 might put you in a position to save one of your friends.