Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 rules posted

Bob’s right about the annual reaction to the new requirements. I’ve experienced it from both perspectives: inflictor and inflicted.

At some point, I pushed hard for removing the requirement that all boats carry MOB gear for the LongPac. (This was before the CG mandated additional equipment before it would issue a race permit for races going west of the GG Bridge.)

Personally, I’m not a big fan of rules but they are necessary if SSS is going to function as an organization. On that note, we need to have requirements that satisfy the Coast Guard’s requirements for getting a race permit and also need to mesh with the cultures of sister organizations such as yacht clubs that allow us to use their race decks and other clubs such as one design-fleets and BAMA. But sometimes, because of the unique nature of the SSS, this isn’t reasonable, such as complying with some organizations’ requirement that someone on a boat be CPR certified. We’re a talented group of sailors but, really, self administered CPR?

My opinion is that there’s a big difference between educating skippers about the realities and possible consequences of shorthanded sailing and requiring them to carry gear they will probably never use. Offshore, shorthanded racing is not an adventure tourism activity. I believe that trying to make it “safe”, while laudable, is unreasonable. There are just too many of worst case scenarios to cover with equipment band aids.

Also, if SSS requires Lifeslings for Farallons and HMB, it should require Ilifeslings for LongPacs and TransPacs. I know, the boats are further apart….but, what if a TransPac's skipper passed a body 800 miles offshore wouldn’t they want to be able to get it out of the water?

Required equipment should be limited to the absolute minimum necessary to run a race. Anything else may be a good idea and worth considering but should be left up the skipper of the boat.

Bill Merrick

Our former Commodore is back and I'm glad. With regard to the Lifesling requirement, who else would be so reasonable as to ask "what if a TransPac's skipper passed a body 800 miles offshore wouldn’t they want to be able to get it out of the water?" Why, yes of course I would drag that body into Dura Mater's cockpit. I mean, duh! Welcome back, Bill!

Thanks, Phil. I'm very glad to know that you'd give the cadaver a ride, BUT do you really think you would be able to that unless you had a genuine, patented, fool proof Lifesling and, of course, you wouldn't have one unless required by the race rules.

Bill Medrrick

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    . . . This was before the CG mandated additional equipment before it would issue a race permit for races going west of the GG Bridge . . . we need to have requirements that satisfy the Coast Guard’s requirements for getting a race permit . . .
    As Bill knows (he was the inflictee on that one), I had to pull the permits for the 2010 SHTP. When you've been through that process you realize the only equipment required by the Coast Guard is the normal stuff that's mandated for all boats - PFD, distress signals, fire extinguisher, etc. and since 2010, a "406 device" for races outside the Gate. Everything else is a club's idea of what makes a boat "safer" out there. For the longer offshore races (like SHTP and LongPac) the Coast Guard is also very concerned about a R/C maintaining communication with its fleet. Getting race permits isn't what's driving this.

So what IS driving our equipment rules? In the case of the SSS, it's part of our purpose as an organization and was written into our "charter" when the SSS was formed nearly 35 years ago. From the SSS home page: "The races provide an organized arena in which ideas, equipment, designs, and vessels specifically created, built, modified, or equipped for long distance singlehanded racing may be tested and evaluated through friendly sportsmanlike competition." At the core, it's why the SSS is a 501(c)(3) instead of a 501(c)(7) like a yacht club.

We get a lot of boats in our races (the majority probably) who are just there to race. Some of those skippers see the equipment requirements as a nuisance and even an impediment to being competitive. Personally I'd like to see the SSS get closer to its roots. There are some really experienced and smart sailors in our group who have taught me a lot about how to race solo offshore. They have become increasingly quiet these last several years as the number of race entries has grown.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-30-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks, Bob. Good summary of the facts. In virtually all instances of required equipment, SSS does not specify a specific manufacturer or brand: vhf radio (not icom radio), PFD (not Mustang PFD). etc.

One of the first questions asked about this requirement was about satisfying it with something other than a "Lifesling": the response from Tiger Beetle was that it was his preference that only Lifeslings would suffice. It is unknown whether this is SSS' position or just Tiger Beetle's personal preference. In any event, the rule specifies "Lifesling". One of the consequences of having been on the SSS board is thinking this anally about the race rules. As a PRO, I'd hate to have to disqualify a skipper because he/she didn't have a "Lifesling" aboard during the Farallons race but if "Lifeslings are specified, this would be the case.

I'm all for the stated purpose described in the charter but, are we really honoring that purpose by telling our skippers that they meet the requirement by purchasing a specific item? I don't think so. If the safety committee thinks this is a serious enough issue to be addressed by a requirement, I'd prefer language that a skipper have the gear and ability to use the gear to get someone out of the water.

I know from experience, that thinking through a possible emergency situation, before it happens, is much more valuable than going to West Marine, buying something and checking it off the list. How many of us have a dozen or so flares but have never fired one off?

Bill Merrick

The LifeSling is somewhat unique because there isn't, to my knowledge, a competing device that does exactly the same thing. The Mom-8 requires inflation (and periodic certification like a liferaft), and is much more expensive. A standard horseshoe may not have a floating line attached and isn't good for lifting a person out of the water.

On the other hand, the LifeSling does not qualify as a "Type 4 (throwable) device easily accessable to the helmsman" (a legal requirement for most of us).

I'm not on the rules committee this time so it's just my opinion, but if a skipper had a device, mounted and ready to deploy, that was functionally equivalent to a LifeSling, I would grant them a waiver.

What's crazy (IMO) is the OYRA rules which require a LifeSling AND a horseshoe (with a bunch of crap attached) AND a man-overboard pole, even in the SHS division.

Default Lifesling Certification

I'm probably the guilty SSS Safety Committee guy who plugged for the Lifesling requirement, so I guess I should speak up. Of course a Lifesling won't get a singlehander back on board her/his boat and a dead body in the middle of the ocean probably couldn't grab the thing, but I could if I were alive and in the water and you sailed past. I don't think my keel's going to drop off, but I doubt if anyone who's had that happened coming back from the Farallons planned on that happening either. There are several keels out there.

As to certification. A Lifesling is a "Type V which substitutes for a Type IV". I guess you can either have bulky horseshoe/life ring (do you REALLY want to try to hang on to a seat cushion???) or a Lifesling bag hanging on your pushpit. The Lifesling is ISAF certified, too, so if it happens you want to sail in one of their races, Bob's your uncle.
    Pat Broderick

I have a lifesling and I think they're pretty effective in the "get the mob back to the boat" stage of a recovery. But then I have a big boat and a lifesling is not gonna cost me a race (it'll be a long time before I'm a good enough sailor that things like that will make or break the race for me).

So I guess I have no probs with it being a requirement; it is true that they've been shown many times to be a very effective device for saving lives. In the majority of cases, it is not actually of much use as a hoisting device; it's real utility is in being thrown over the stern and towed in a circle to get it into the hands of a conscious person. If the mob is unconscious, forget it. You're in a bad situation. I think a gaffing stick might be the best bet (kidding!)

but with a conscious, effective mob, it's a good deal to use it to get them alongside. How you recover them then is dependent on your boat and capabilities.

Should we require lifesling brand? I would say not. I agree with those above who say if you demonstrate equivalent functionality with a home-grown design (ie, floating tether tied to a ring buoy, for example), then it should be accepted.

Just my .02.

Bob Walden
    Sea Star

Thanks, Pat. First, the folks who actually do the work necessary to have organized racing are few in number and None, as far as I know, have done more for as long as Pat has.

I apologize for my use of hyperbole to make a point. To be clear, I'm not interested in hashing out the relative merits of any specific piece of equipment. I have my preferences and other folks have their's. My concern is any club requiring that I buy a specific piece of equipment to address something that could happen. Sure, it's great to have the right thing at the right time at the right place but to REQUIRE that Every boat have the latest and greatest and then expect a race deck to enforce it?

There are emergency situations in races. There have been fatalities but, with one exception, I don't know of any in which a LifeSling would have made any difference. In the case I'm most familiar with, Daisey, no one even witnessed the incident and the CG never rendered a finding. They reacted by ramping up the requirements for getting a race permit even though having a 406 EPIRB might not have made any difference for Daisey's skipper and crew.

I can understand having a requirement for MOB gear on boats with crew - but Singlehanded boats? Not so much. Could a Lifesling make a difference in a situation where a singlehander happened to see someone bobbing around in the water? Sure. Could I win the TransPac? Sure, but the odds are about the same for both situations.

Bill, you could win the SH TransPac. You just need the right boat and the time to sail the battens out of it.

As for that cadaver, if it was a glass fishing float I'd be all over it. The cadaver just gets his coordinates reported.