Thread: Coastal Cup for MULTIHULL crews

Default Coastal Cup for MULTIHULL crews

Hey all, as you know, Encinal Yacht Club hosts the annual Coastal Cup race. They have decided to open the race to Multihulls in 2012! Here's a request from Mike Andrews who is organizing the event for 2012. Encinal would very much like multihullers to offer feedback, both on their interest in doing the Coastal Cup (singlehanded?, doublehanded?), and on developing requirements for safety, equipment, and other rules-related items.

From Mike: "With regard to multihull participation, I would be very appreciative if you are able to put me in touch with some of your members who sail them in order to discuss what safety standards they are accustomed to sailing at sea under. The Coastal Cup is and ISAF Category 2 event though, a number of exceptions to those rules are made for made for mono-hull boats. I am interested to know if similar exceptions might be appropriately made for multihull competitors."

Thanks,
    Paul/Culebra
    Last edited by Culebra; 12-19-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Checked on my facts--the race is open to Multihulls in 2012!

Default Multi's in coastal cup ?

Hi Paul,

Check the history. I recall, and could be wrong, of coastal cup races in the mid 90's having a multi hull or two with a capsize. Maybe it was another race, but I seem to recall one I did where one multi had some type of problem ?

Brian

Not sure of the details, Brian, but yes that's generally correct, they were reticent due to safety. However, no more... they have decided to open the race up to multihullers, and Mike Andrews would very much like feedback because they're currently developing the rules.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Check the history. I recall, and could be wrong, of coastal cup races in the mid 90's having a multi hull or two with a capsize. Maybe it was another race, but I seem to recall one I did where one multi had some type of problem ?
    the Cross 46 trimaran Defiance did capsize on Coastal Cup or Windjammers race, that would have been in... 1992 or '93, perhaps? I was coming up the coast when they were going down the coast, and the boat was well offshore and most upside down. Fortunately everybody was ok and the boat was later recovered.

- rob/beetle